Lexical similarities between French-Spanish-Italian

Mkay   Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:36 pm GMT
this is super interesting.

:) i plan on learning maracucho.
David   Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:30 pm GMT
I agree Mkay. I've been reading these postings for some time now - the discussions have fascinated me. I am of spanish descent (both my parent's are from Spain), but I was born and raised in Winnipeg, Canada. My parent's and I have talked about some of the things I've read here about the Spanish, Portuguese and Italian languages.

My parent's both work with Portuguese and Italian people, many of whom speak very limited English. They say that they speak Spanish to their Portuguese co-workers, who in turn speak Portuguese to my parent's, and they both understand each other quite well.

And they also claim that to understand their Italian co-workers, they must each speak a mish-mash of Spanish/Italian/English to one another to properly understand the context of the discussion, but not always successfully. I find this interesting, but not surprising.

I decided to do a little research myself and found that Spain and Portugal have always pretty much been 2 sides of the same coin linguistically, culturally, historically etc. Even today they cannot totally disconnect from one another, not in Europe of Latin America. Talk about 'a tie that binds'. I also discovered that as tenuous as relations may have been between Portugal and Spain in the past, today the relationship is based on mutual respect and admiration for one another. Thousands of Spaniards have businesses in Portugal, and thousands of Portuguese have businesses in Spain. They have a brotherly relationship. And then there is the mercosur/mercosul agreement in Latin America. It has forged strong cultural and economic ties between Portuguese and Spanish speaking America. There are now learning one another's language, as a second language in school. Again, the Lusophone and Hispano destinies seem to have always been intrinsically tied to one another - and still are. Wow!

Sooo, as a person of Spanish descent, but literate only in english, I have no doubt that I'd be well served by learning either Spanish or Portuguese, because either way, it would be very easy to become well versed in both since they are already so close to begin with. As such, between English, Spanish and Portuguese, I'd would be able to communicate with over 1 billion people in the world. Imagine that!
Hernan   Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:44 pm GMT
<<Even today they cannot totally disconnect from one another, not in Europe of Latin America. Talk about 'a tie that binds'.>>

So true....but don't forget about Africa either. Notwithstanding the numerous Portuguese speaking countries in Africa (some of them huge e.g., Angola, Mozambique), there are a few small Spanish speaking African countries too. So the Hispano/Lusophone world is connected there as well.
Rolando   Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:20 pm GMT
I have a question about the French language... when a word becomes plural with an S at the end, is the S pronounce...? for example:

Bras (meaning arms)

I know french and spanish share the same plural rule an S at the end of a word.
JR   Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:41 pm GMT
Not in pronnunciation unfortunately.
While in Spanish every letter is pronnounced (except for H), in French the final letter is not pronnounced unless the next word starts with a vowel (in this particular case).

Also, while French pluralizes by adding -s (among other methods), Spanish normally pluralizes by adding -es (unless the word ends with a vowel, then it's just S)
JGreco   Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:42 am GMT
"Not in pronunciation unfortunately.
While in Spanish every letter is pronounced (except for H), in French the final letter is not pronounced unless the next word starts with a vowel (in this particular case)."

Don't forget the aspirated "S" that isn't pronounced in many Latin American accents, in Andalucia in Spain, and in the Canary Islands.
Rolando   Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:47 am GMT
What exactly is Lexical Similariti...?

1. Is it when languages share the same words & meanings...?

SP: Mano (Hand)
IT: Mano (Hand)

2. When the words are prounouce & spelled diffrently, but have the same meaning...?

FR: Formage (Cheese)
IT: Formaggio (Cheese)
Guest   Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:53 am GMT
<< FR: Formage (Cheese)
IT: Formaggio (Cheese) >>

FR:Fromage
IT:Fromaggio
french   Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:37 am GMT
rolando,

in french we also have la "mane"
GOMEZ ANARCHISTA DE FRANC   Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:59 am GMT
VIVA FIDEL, VIVA RAUL VIVA LOS HERMANOS CASTRO!!! VIVA LA LIBERTAD CONTRO EL IMPERIALISMO AMERICANO!
stef   Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:56 pm GMT
I am italian; i love romance languages and I can say that i can easly understand spanish and (why not) portuguese; french, after all, is not so hard to understand, expecially in the written form...about romanian...well...I can sometime understen it but only in the written form.
well....now....i write something in italian who will be able to translate it in his own native language whitout using a dictionary? Come on try!

Salve a tutti, come va? ho visitato questo forum e letto con attenzione i vostri commenti perchè sono molto interessato al discorso della mutua intellegibilità fra le lingue neolatine...Ditemi un pò, maè proprio vero che i portoghesi capiscono a perfezione lo spagnolo senza mai avere bisogno di un interprete e che lo stesso vale per i romeni nei confronti dell'italiano?

Come on translate it!! Bye Bye!!!!
Rolando   Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:43 pm GMT
Im going to give it my best shot... :-)

Hola a todos, como estan, he visto esta forum e leido con atencion, y nosotros comentamos solo con mucho interes a discutir de las lenguas muitales de el lenguage latina.... me disen un poco.. entiendo el español sin tener un interpertador, y que es igual por el romanio y y confretarmos del italiano?

Can anyone tell me, which langauge would be easier for a fluent speaking spanish person to learn, Italian or French.... French for me seems to hard to learn.
Clovis   Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:00 pm GMT
I'm french and I tried to translate it without dictionnary !^^I'm not sure about somethings...

Salut à tous, comment ça va ? J'ai visité ce forum et lu avec attention vos commentaires parceque je suis très intéréssé par le discours et l'intélligibilité mutuelle entre les langues latines...Dites-moi un peu, est-ce que c'est vrai que les portugais comprennent à la perfection l'espagnol sans avoir besoin d'un interprète et que cela vaut aussi pour le roumain, confronté à l'italien ?
stef   Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:00 pm GMT
Hi Rolando! thank you for your translation...I believe that for a spanish speacker, italian language coul be very easy to learn...for example, i do not speack spanish very well, but I have no problem in reading or listening it (of course if in the standard form!) and I would like to attend a spanish language course just to learn some of your grammar roules; both italian and spanish have a not very easy grammar structure, but I'm sure I will be able to learn yours and You will be able to learn mine!!
Hasta luego!!!
Guest   Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:03 pm GMT
Salut Clovis! your transaltion is simply perfect! thank you!!