A concept of time

engtense   Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:09 pm GMT
Geoff_One wrote:
<<(Someone) Might be inclined to react this way:
"What gives you the right to presume that I have got nothing new and original to contribute to this discussion. I am capable of writing new things here that I have not already said."
To be clear, note that the above is not and was not my reaction.>>

My reply:
Your logic is very bad. If it is not your reaction, why will you assume it MIGHT be someone's reaction? And it MIGHT be my reaction too?

You use MIGHT too often. Use Will or may is enough.

Having decades of experience in discussion, I will not presume that one may get "nothing new and original to contribute to this discussion". Rather, you have judged yourself that way.

If someone MIGHT misunderstand me, it is because you quoted 'Putting sentences together', without giving the address. If you want to help, you may remind yourself next time you quote something with the address.
Geoff_One   Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:05 pm GMT
<< Your logic is very bad. If it is not your reaction, why will you assume it MIGHT be someone's reaction? And it MIGHT be my reaction too? >>

Why the superlative?
Geoff_One   Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:13 pm GMT
You protest too much.
engtense   Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:58 am GMT
What is "Present Perfect Puzzle"?

In searching "Present Perfect Puzzle", you will find many university documents talking about it:
<<In English, the present perfect, unlike future, past, and non-finite perfects, cannot be modified by so-called 'positional' adverbials (Comrie 1976, McCoard 1978, a.o.). This phenomenon is known as the present perfect puzzle (Klein 1992).>>
== http://sils.shoin.ac.jp/KACL/02/030.html

However, haven't grammars agreed that Present Perfect doesn't stay with past time adverbials? Then why is it a puzzle?
Geoff_One   Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:36 am GMT
engtense,

When are you planning to write the epilogue to this thread?
Yum Cha Fuk   Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:40 pm GMT
Oh hi engtense