Lithuania

Fwitt   Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:48 pm GMT
My friend is marrying a girl from Estonia and I am the best man . At the end of my speech I would like to wish her all the best or whatever the equivilent is in her native language, only problem is pronouciation so if anybody could give me a few pointers with an idiots guide on how to say it I would greatly appreciate the help.
Adam   Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:07 pm GMT
"Another flea in the map just like Netherlands"

Or France. What is the point of France? What's it for? It doesn't do anything.
Adam   Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:08 pm GMT
Did you know that the Lithuanian spelling more closely resembles Sanskrit than any other language?
suomalainen   Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:38 am GMT
Dear Fwitt,

you could say for instance:
"Ma soovin teile palju õnne ja edu eluaja lõpuni" (= I wish to you lots of good-fortune and prosperity to the end of your lifetime).
(Muh soh-vin tay-le pal-you annye ya etoo e-loo-a-ya la-poo-nie)
It is rather difficult to give pronunciation rules according to English because a letter can be pronounced in so many different ways. Can you Spanish or Italian? The vowels in Estonian have the same values.
'õ' is pronounced approximately as 'a' in the article 'a' or 'an'.
m, s, v, n, l, are pronounced as in English.
'd' is between English 't' and 'd'.
't' and 'p' are pronounced without "puff" (no h-sound after the letter).
'j' is pronounced as English 'y'.
'ei' is pronounced as English 'ay'.
Double letters are pronounced long (oo, nn), single vowels are short.
Stress is on the first syllable of each word.
(Estonian is not at all related to Lithuanian: Estonian is a Finno-Ugric language and a close relative to Finnish, Lithuanian and Latvian make up the Baltic branch of Indo-European languages)
guest   Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:01 am GMT
Philosopher Kant said of the scientific structure of Lithuanian,"It possesses the key that will open all the enigmas, not only of philology but also of history," without knowing anything of Sanskrit. There is a school that believes that it was a tribe of ancient Indians that migrated to eastern Europe through Central Asia. If so then Lithuanian unsurprisingly is an inheritor of the grammatical perfection of Sanskrit. Paanini, a Sanskrit grammarian, asserted,"Who knows my grammar, knows God."
Gediminas   Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:06 am GMT
jeigu lietuva su rusija vel susides mes visi busim netertingi ir viskas bus labai mums blogai tai mes turim dziaudtis kad mes primti i europos sajunga..