Your Accent!

Sander   Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:38 pm GMT
What's that for a irrelavant and totally personal question?!
Sander   Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:44 pm GMT
an
Uriel   Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:27 pm GMT
Chinese?
Soheil   Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:50 am GMT
I would like to gather some pieces of information about Texan accent.
Awols   Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:46 pm GMT
My accent's something I can't put a name to. For me I sound British sometimes and American at other times. However, someone told me she love the way I speak and to put it precisely, she was commenting on my accent. My accent drives crazily sexy. They love it, but unfortunately, I'm not satisfied: don't like the sound of it to an extent. I think of Queen, but my tapping the Ts comes as a drawback now and again. Oh well, I think I love British accent more, but American comes natural to me. Do you mind if I say I'm a nigerian who loves English from Childhood and has been using as his 1st language? I belong to the classof those who call dog dag. Those are the poeple from western united states. They also call marry merry. I do this natural well. I think I ought to give the devil his due and begin to love real American English, even if 80% of my books are by British authors.

My sounding mid-atalntic, albeit, depends on my mood. When I'm serious tapping is reduced and so my English becomes pretty Estuary. But I do not strive to reduce my intrusive Rs.

American Webster Dictionary( Collegiate) of the 9th Edition is truly the best dictionary of the 20th century. I think with such richness of words Americans too have a say in the way English should be spoken. Can anyone out there tell me what type of English he or she wants me to favour, please? Confused. But variety, I sense, maybe okey with capital O, for me.
Awols   Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:57 pm GMT
My accent's something I can't put a name to. For me I sound British sometimes and American at other times. However, someone told me she love the way I speak and to put it precisely, she was commenting on my accent. My accent drives crazily sexy. They love it, but unfortunately, I'm not satisfied: don't like the sound of it to an extent. I think of Queens, but my tapping the Ts comes as a drawback now and again. Oh well, I think I love British accent more, but American comes natural to me. Do you mind if I say I'm a Nigerian who loves English from Childhood and has been using it as his 1st language? I belong to the class of those who call dog dag. Those are the poeple from western united States.They They also call marry merry. I do this naturally well;think I ought to give the devil his due and begin to love real American English, even if 80% of my books are by British authors.

My sounding midatalntic, albeit, depends on my mood. When I'm serious tapping the Ts is reduced and so my English becomes pretty Estuary. But I do not strive to reduce my intrusive Rs.

American Webster Dictionary( Collegiate) of the 9th Edition is truly the best dictionary of the 20th century. I think with such richness of words Americans too have a say in the way English should be spoken. Can anyone out there tell me what type of English he or she wants me to favour, please? Confused. But variety, I sense, maybe okey with capital O, for me.
JW   Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:27 pm GMT
I was born and raised in Mississippi, so I speak with a heavy southern accent. Not that white trash southern accent that so many of you dislike, mind you. I speak much more like this man although unfortunately my voice is not nearly as deep: http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/usa/mississippi/mississippi1.mp3
Cow   Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:54 am GMT
>> I would like to gather some pieces of information about Texan accent. <<

It's sort of a cross between a Southern and a Western accent.
Uriel   Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:14 am GMT
Texas is a big state, and not all Texans sound the same.
Jay   Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:50 am GMT
I live in New Jersey, and I have a typical accent of that region. No, I don't sound like a New Yorker, and I don't call it "JOISEY". I do have some features of General American in my accent, though. Marry, merry, and Mary are all different to me, as well as cot and caught.

I like Northern accents, I also like Western accents (Oregon/Washington), I can tolerate Midwestern accents, but I find some features odd, such as pronouncing "-ing" (going, doing, etc) as "een". I don't really like Southern accents at all. I like Canadian accents, especially Newfie, most English accents, Scottish accents, Irish, and Australian.
Q   Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:02 am GMT
>> I like Northern accents, I also like Western accents (Oregon/Washington), I can tolerate Midwestern accents, but I find some features odd, such as pronouncing "-ing" (going, doing, etc) as "een" <<

The accent in much of Oregon and Washington also possesses this feature. I'm walkeen to the store. I'm driveen right now. Well, what the heck, it's better than saying walkin' drivin'. Does pronouncing it as "een" really sound odd? I always pronounce it that way, so pronouncing it as -ing (like in king), sounds a bit off to me. I didn't know the Midwestern accent also had this feature. What other regions have this feature?
Travis   Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:56 am GMT
>>I didn't know the Midwestern accent also had this feature.<<

To my knowledge, dialects in the Midwest do not have this, and I myself have never heard a Midwesterner with such.

As for "the Midwestern accent", I should point out that there this no single "Midwestern accent" to begin with. This is ignoring that people vary in their definitions of the Midwest in the first place (even though I have my particular views on such).
clyde   Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:24 pm GMT
I hate my accent