Your Accent!

Mannix   Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:45 pm GMT
Sirius - /sIr\_Gi@s/ ''sihr-ee-us''
serious - /sir\_G@s/ ''seer-ee-us''
Geoff_One   Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:24 am GMT
Sirius - sihr-us
serious - seer-ree-us
Travis   Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:32 am GMT
For me, the two are identical, both being /"sIr\iIs/ -> ["sI:.r\i.Is].
Uriel   Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:48 am GMT
Must be a 'merican thang, eh, Trav?
Lazar   Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:04 am GMT
I pronounce them differently:

Sirius - [sIri@s]
serious - [sI@ri@s]

"Serious" doesn't have the vowel of "seed" for me - it has a special pre-rhotic diphthong [I@], which is distinct from the plain [I] of "Sirius".

Maintaining pre-rhotic vowel distinctions like "Sirius-serious", "Mary-merry-marry", and "hurry-furry" is common here in the Northeast but rare elsewhere in North America.
Uriel   Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:19 am GMT
<<Sirius - sihr-us
serious - seer-ree-us >>

You don't say the second "i" in "Sirius"? Do you pronounce it the same as "serous"?
Travis   Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:30 am GMT
>> Must be a 'merican thang, eh, Trav?<<

Well, it probably is, considering that neutralization of vowel values before /r\/ is primarily a feature North American English dialects.
Travis   Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:32 am GMT
I meant to say "is primarily a feature *of* North American English dialects" above.
Uriel   Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:05 am GMT
<<You don't say the second "i" in "Sirius"? Do you pronounce it the same as "serous"?>>

Uriel, for me, the first syllables of ''Sirius'' and ''serous'' sound different, so even if I did leave out the second ''i'' in ''Sirius'' it still wouldn't sound like ''serous''.
Mannix   Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:07 am GMT
Sorry Uriel, I accidentally typed your name. It's me above.
Guest   Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:20 am GMT
sih-rih-yus - Sirius
seeeeeee-rih-yus - serious
Tiffany   Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:04 am GMT
I believe I distinguish between serious and Sirius, but I have to say the difference is slight in my accent.

Closest approximation for me would be that the "e" in serious is pronounced with a long vowel, so that the beginning of the word sounds identical to the word "sea". The first syllable of "Sirius" instead sounds like the word "sear".

I have no clue how to transcribe this this, or that it will even make sense to anyone if the "ea" sound in "sea" and "sear" sound alike in another's accent.
Lazar   Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:13 am GMT
Well the first syllable of "serious" isn't exactly the same as "sea" for me, although it's very similar. Technically it uses a special pre-rhotic allophone. For me, it is the first syllable of "serious" that sounds identical to "sear".

For me, the first vowel in "Sirius" sounds exactly the same as the vowel in "hit".
Kirk   Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:18 am GMT
I have the same pronunciations as Travis. "Serious" and "Sirius" are both ["sIr\iIs] for me. In my dialect I have no tense vowels before /r\/ (except [A]) so this is pretty expected.
Candy   Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:30 am GMT
<<"Candy Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:21 pm GMT
Actually, Ulverston! :-)"

No way... Ulverston is my family's ancestral home! Well at least on my dad's side. His grandparents were from there and then moved to canada. >>

No way, Melissa!!! What a coincidence - there's only 12,000 of us in the whole place! Have you ever been there? Which part of Canada are you from? My partner is from Ontario.
The official homepage for Ulverston is http://www.ulverston.net/home.asp
if you'd like to take a look!!
I think a lot of the people from the area - Ulverston, Dalton, Barrow - emigrated to Canada a few decades ago.