Why do people look down on Spanish?

Tiffany   Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:24 am GMT
Visible minority - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_minorities

I assume since you go around saying that you don't look like the average Mexican (I believe you claim you are too fair), you don't. As for apam - well, let's just say to me, racially, Italians look just like other "white" people. Aren't we claiming the US is racist? Race is very visual, skin deep only. Well, just what race do you think they see when they look at you? I think you've already answered that.

LAA said:
<<For me, being a white Hispanic has many disadvantages and also advantages. In business, I most likely won't be stereotyped or people won't assume that my performance would suffer (the way they see things), because they associate me with them, based on the way I look on the outside>>

I don't want to reveal my ethnicity as I believe it to be unimportant, but I am definitely a visible minority. Everyone experiences prejudice to some extent, but it's easier to discriminate when you can immediately see the difference - and that is racism.

As for crying - apam is the one who had tears in his eyes. Reread his posts.

As for "reverse" racism, I'm deeply offended if you'd ever believe I'd practice that. Racism is racism, no matter what you want to call it and "reverse" racism is just as disgusting. Remember my stance on issues like these - prejudice, in all its forms, needs to be eradicated. This includes the stereotypes you think are so benign.
Pauline   Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:14 am GMT
<< Pauline, it's not that we're not replying to you. We just happened to be offline at the time. We're not on here 24-7. >>

ok, i'm sorry

<< Remember my stance on issues like these - prejudice, in all its forms, needs to be eradicated. This includes the stereotypes you think are so benign. >>

i agree, but it wil not be possible because it's not what the people wish. when they look down on you, me, the person somewhere else, they're feeling good because they think they are more important, better etc.... always they will find without difficulty a justification for this.prejudiced poeple have many things for which they can hate you - all the things what are the differences between us.Tiffany, I'm white and although i look typical, normal western european i know well how is it to be hated, ridiculed, excluded, feared.

my intention is to live my life for get rid of prejudice and stigma what's put on innocent people.if then some peopl are better, kinder treated because of this, it will be a succes.
Tiffany   Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:45 pm GMT
Good for you Pauline. I will also do my best as well :) This world is not ideal, not perfect, and as humans we have to live with our flaws. But we can try to better ourselves, can't we?

By the way, "average Mexican" should be in quotes as well - as that is also a stereotype, but is it not the one you speak of, LAA?
LAA   Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:47 pm GMT
I think that Jewish guy said it best: "Do onto others, as you wish them to do onto you."

Tiffany, I hope you didn't feel I was accusing you of reverse racism. But this whole "visible" vs. "invisible" thing is ridiculous. If you know me for more than a day or two, you will most likely find that I'm Hispanic. Sometimes people never really associate me with anything other than white, at the recesses of their brain, because they can't get past my looks. Others treat me as Hispanic, and many people are indifferent to that, other than asking me some cultural or slang questions, or what good Mexican food is like. Others, who are bigots, find that I'm Mexican, and hate me just as much as if I had black skin. I don't want to go into details, but you know I've gone to some bad schools in my time. My friend and I were *jumped* by a group of skinheads for being Hispanic. Now, that is about the worst racism or hate that you can experience, aside from being burned at the stake or hanged. So, so much for my "invisible" minority.

And I don't *walk around* "telling people that I look white". That is not my intention. It's just that when I get a weird look from people who are suprised to find out that I'm Mexican, I explain to them that I'm of Spanish heritage, and I go onto to tell them about Mexico's racial diversity. This proves to be a valuable educational experience for Americans who stereotype all Mexicans to be brown skinned, black haired individuals.
Sigma   Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:53 pm GMT
It's just that when I get a weird look from people who are suprised to find out that I'm Mexican, I explain to them that I'm of Spanish heritage, and I go onto to tell them about Mexico's racial diversity. This proves to be a valuable educational experience for Americans who stereotype all Mexicans to be brown skinned, black haired individuals.

A mi he pasado la mismo varias veces, hay cierto estereotipo muy fuerte en varios paises que les obliga a pensar que un Mexicano debe ser por fuerza, ya sea indigena o mestizo de piel obscura, y de estatura baja. Cuando en realidad hay una diversidad étinica en el pais (México) y que un Mexicano puede ser de cualquier tipo: moreno, blanco, indigena, asiatico, etc, etc, etc.
LAA   Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:58 pm GMT
<<A mi he pasado la mismo varias veces, hay cierto estereotipo muy fuerte en varios paises que les obliga a pensar que un Mexicano debe ser por fuerza, ya sea indigena o mestizo de piel obscura, y de estatura baja. Cuando en realidad hay una diversidad étinica en el pais (México) y que un Mexicano puede ser de cualquier tipo: moreno, blanco, indigena, asiatico, etc, etc, etc. >>

Si, eso es verdad. Mexico es una tierra de mucha variedad. Pero para muchos ojos, no soy mexicano porque tengo piel blanca. Ignorante. Muy ignorante.
Pauline   Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:17 pm GMT
segura que la gente belga en general no sabe que hay mexicanso blancos o asiaticos. Pues, yo no sabía tampóco, aunque pensaba que habían personas como los espanoles los más morenos. El idea que tenemos aquí de los mexicanos típicos sería pelo negro, piel un poco morena y no tan altos como en europa. De la gente indigena sabemos más en por ejemplo Perú, donde es muy conocida por la ropa bonita en todos colores.

Lo siento ser tan ignorante, pero tengo que deciros que a mí, me da igual de que color son el pelo, la piel etc.. de alguién, lo que me importa mucho más es que el persona sea simpático.

a ver si podáis entenderme !!!!
JR   Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:34 pm GMT
Pauline, eres tu de Marcaibo, Venezuela?
.   Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:35 pm GMT
Pauline   Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:43 pm GMT
« Pauline, eres tu de Marcaibo, Venezuela? »

porqué me preguntas si soy de venezuela ???

Soy de belgica. JR,creo que ya hemos hablado una vez aquí, no ?
LAA   Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:10 pm GMT
Si, le entendemos muy bien. :)
LAA   Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:12 pm GMT
<<Ugh, I live in the Temecula/Murietta Valley>>

Dude, that sucks. I have family out there, and my cousins hate it there. The cops come to break up parties at 9:00!
Pauline   Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:26 pm GMT
por favor, díme porqué me preguntaste si soy de marcaibo,venezuela ; eso significa algo ?
JR   Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:44 pm GMT
Pauline,

Es porque tu dijiste "podais" en tu respuesta y en Maracaibo, Venezuela se usa en forma arcaica. Por ejemplo:

Vos podáis (Old-spanish & Venezuela)
Vos podás (Argentina)
Vos/tú Podái (Chile)
Vos puedas (Central-america)
Tú puedas (Standard)
Usted pueda (Costa rica, used as BOTH informal and formal)
Su mercé pueda (Columbia)
Guest   Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:49 pm GMT
jajaja la descubrieron