Guest   Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:58 pm GMT
and to show that English is really a romance language too :

I was
You were
He was
we were
you were
they were

the similarity with French is astonishing, isn't it ?
Guest   Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:02 pm GMT
Yes. Astonishing.
Maya   Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:54 pm GMT
Italian.

there are way more words that are similar to latin then any other romance lingo.
Peter   Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:21 pm GMT
Which language is closer to Latin? According to Sorinescu-Ceausescu, Romanian is.
Hj   Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:29 pm GMT
It's disturbing to see so many bunches of bullshit written by incompetents who make a copy and paste from that idiot wikipedia or similar without the knowledge of what they are writing.
Where you pick up those non-sense percentages?
I'd like to know why there is not English in that group of languages since its vocabulary derives at least by 70% from Latin
Guest   Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:41 pm GMT
Are you all PhD linguists? Latin had a so strong changement that the nowadays Romance languages has nothing in common regarding phonetics.
Italian is close to Latin like English is
Guest   Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:53 pm GMT
<<It's disturbing to see so many ...
Where you pick up those non-sense percentages?
I'd like to know why there is not English in that group of languages since its vocabulary derives at least by 70% from Latin >>

Because borrowed vocabulary is not the same as being derived from. Latin has never, is not, and will never be the parent language of English, so stop wishing it.

Even if English's vocabulary were 100% borrowed from Latin, it STILL would not be derived from Latin, and would not be a Romance language.
millner   Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:10 pm GMT
http://latinum.mypodcast.com

This is a link to my website for learning Latin - I am using an excellent out of copyright text book, by Ahn and Seidenstucker for the basic stuff. I also have vocabularies on the site, and a variety of materials from a selection of other out of copyright textbooks - all the material on the site is read aloud.

This site will possibly be useful to those studying Latin at home, or someone who wants to learn Latin on the go, by downloading a list of definitions or a lesson onto their MP3 player.

The idea is to get Latin into your head by osmosis - simply by listening to lots of it. I don't claim to be a great reader of Latin - I'm using the site as I build it, to teach myself as I go along, as well.
JK   Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:05 am GMT
English is one of the closest languages to latin.

I always want English being classified as romance, and would like to foght for it.

It has very few in common with Germanic languages.

English people and culture, on the other hand are very similar to French ones... so why not consider English latin ? It is unfair.
Incredible...   Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:47 am GMT
"Because borrowed vocabulary is not the same as being derived from. Latin has never, is not, and will never be the parent language of English, so stop wishing it."
What a bullshit! borrowing and derivation is the SAME THING, otherwise languages shouldn't exist. Latin WAS and IS the parent language of English, so stop say bullshit.
In any case, derivation or borrowing the consequence are the SAME.
There are words which DERIVE DIRECTLY from latin (datum/data, agenda etc.) and the rest DERIVE from French after Norman conquest (when French replace the anglo-saxon language). And from where French derives to? FROM LATIN. English had this great fortune and there are people who don't know this still in 2007!
Where do you think English derive to? From Mars?
I can't care less of this, but I cannot bare ignorants who try to deny the evidence of the facts.
Vocabulary in English is mostly latin-based. With some Greek too.
Study before open your mouth.
Marc   Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:51 am GMT
http://latinum.mypodcast.com

Thanks for the link. Latin sounds lovely. On the other hand, I suppose it would be more interesting if a native Spanish or Italian-speaker would pronounce these sentences to gives us an idea on how it sounds similar to their respective native tongue.

Salutations.
Guest   Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:13 pm GMT
No Incredible, you are wrong.

If what you say is true, then Greek is the parent of Latin, and Chinese is the Parent of Korean, and so on and so forth.

If I start dressing like my neighbors family, does that make me genetically related to them because I borrow some items of clothing?

Your reasoning is not mature.
JK   Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:30 pm GMT
If English was latin it would be so great... What's a shame it's only germanic.

only the "core" is more germanic, so let's latinize it, and English will leave its "germanic" label forever.
guest   Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:46 pm GMT
English latinic words are often borrowed, not derived, because they show an unnatural inflow into English.

In the case of say French, the Latin words were actually used in everyday speech that slowly evolved as the words continued to be functionally spoken and used.

This was not the case with English, where Latin words entered our language by and large through bookish copying and "term-grasping" (the need to have a term for something and seeking out a word that would "best fit" or "make do").

Such is the case with the English word "protect". It is a verb in English yes? Yet in English it is used incorrectly in light of its Latin origin. In Latin, it is a past participle/adjective ['protectus']. "Protect" displays ARTIFICIAL borrowing from an already extinct language, like as if I opened an old Sanskrit text, and pulled out any old Sanskrit word in any form and applied it [incorrectly] today [and whooped and hollered that I had made English a deriviative of the Sanskrit language {in error}]. It's not natural!

The English term, if it had naturally passed from Latin to English, or even Latin to French to English should be "protege". This also goes for all English words using the "artificial-type" English suffix "-ate" as verbs (although some can reason out that they are verbs derived from adjectives, but I disagree). "Construct", "instruct", "separate" [the vb], "exit", "video", "audio" all show this type of misapplication.