Should the Philippines start speaking Spanish again?

Manolo   Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:13 am GMT
The fact is you call yourselves "filipinos" and not "philippinians"... It must mean something. How would you say "filipinos" in Tagalog and after whom are "filipinos" known if it isn't a Spanish king?

History is history and is a part of a country's heritage. Being called "filipino" is almost a poem.

And why was she called Corazón Aquino and not Heart Aquino? It isn't only surnames but also the names of your saints and a great part of your faith: the Holy Heart of Jesus. El Sagrado Corazón de Jesús.
Unknown Author   Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:30 am GMT
Indeed... that's why I find the rest of the Filipinos left behind, for the fact that they do not speak Spanish, there are few who still do. But the majority speaks their own dialect instead, even some provinces are really bad in speaking Tagalog.

And I remember someone said this, "do not push the Spanish language". Nobody is pushing it,because it was our real language, the government before Corazon Aquino pushed the Tagalog to the citizens and it is not even a proper or a complete language.

Many Filipinos are totally miseducated or uneducated about these things, reason why the majority hates Spain. Just look at what guest said to "from Spain" in the first page of this thread. The first Filipino government after the Spanish was basically "brain washed" by the Americans and the Americans succeeded in making the Filipinos hate the Spanish and totally forget about Spanish,therefore, instead of speaking Spanish, the Filipinos have embraced the English language. Go to Philippines and everyone tries hard to speak in English,even though most of them obviously sound funny.

I remember back in highschool, I was in class and a girl who just came from Chile and was only in Canada for a few months,she still couldn't speak English that much, was sitting beside me and my other Filipino friend. My Filipino friend and I were speaking Tagalog, later on, the girl from Chile said "are you guys talking about where to get cheap pants?" , and my friend was shocked how did she understand. It is because Tagalog uses so much Spanish words and if a Spanish speaker listened to it carefully and put the words together,they will know what you're saying.

At first, many of my friends did not know that they are using hundreds to thousands of Spanish words in everyday conversation, at least not until I opened their eyes to see the truth. I showed them a Spanish dictionary and wrote down hundreds of Tagalog words and showed them the Spanish dictionary.

If anyone is unaware of this,especially the Filipinos, the king of Spain Juan Carlos I , visited the Philippines in 2006 and signed a "Spain-Philippines friendship treaty" , this happened after more than a century. Clear fact that the Filipinos hated the Spanish and signed a friendship and alliance treaty after a century, because they were brain washed by the Americans after the Spanish reign.

Also, Philippine president Gloria Arroyo visited Spain in 2007, Spain president and King Juan Carlos I have welcomed her and they reiterated that it would be better if Philippines will make the Spanish language one of its official languages "ONCE AGAIN" alongside Tagalog and English.

I believe it soon will be implemented, a group of highly educated organization and also a part of the government in the Philippines have submitted a form to the Philippines president and proposed to have Spanish language back as one of the Filipino languages "again".

Also, Philippines is on the list of Spain's priority in these coming years, the Philippine president and the Spanish president have had an agreement during Arroyo's visit to Spain.

So whoever disagrees with these upcoming wonderful things and thinks that we will be under the Spanish control once again. What is happening in our country now is what happened during the Spanish era, the history books in the Philippines are all revised and totally exaggerated. Learn the real events in the past and then that's the only time for the unenlightened ones to speak.

Like I said in one of my first posts

Philippine People Power(Few years ago) = Filipino Revolutionaries(Spanish era)

English spoken by wealthy Filipinos (Current time) = Spanish spoken by wealthy Filipinos (Spanish era)

Politicians who wants to have a better Philippine government (Current time) = Philippine heroes who fought for independence (Spanish era)

those heroes were by the way "MESTIZOS" not Malayans.

So what I would suggest to those people , such as "guest" in page 1. Get some PROPER education before you speak non-sense and mislead thinking.
Unknown Author   Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:16 am GMT
Please visit :

http://www.gov.ph/forum/

That is the government's forum
Howard   Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:19 am GMT
The first Filipino presidents were mestizos too. If you will see a picture of Manuel Quezon,he does not look Asian at all. He looks more like white or maybe I could say a mixture of an Asian race and a European race,which probably was Spanish.

Emilio Aguinaldo was a mestizo as well, to Andres Bonifacio to Jose Rizal, you name it. Even to the current president and vice-president, I can see that their last names sound more Spanish than Malayan.

I have many Filipino friends too and when I ask them how to say this or that in Tagalog, there were a lot of times that they said "I don't know,we say that in English in the Philippines" or they will tell me the word and I ask a latino and they will give me the same word. So I guess it was a Spanish word not Tagalog or Filipino.

Maybe it is time for the Filipinos to once again embrace their original and first official language.
Guest   Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:29 am GMT
The late President Manuel L. Quezon was a Spanish Mestizo and he was the very first one to endorse that Tagalog should be the national and Official language of the Philippines. he even encourage its development so that it could come with its own technical words which is the most apparent weakness.
Guest   Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:50 am GMT
The late President Manuel L. Quezon was a Spanish mestizo and he was the very first one to endorse that Tagalog should be the national and Official language of the Philippines. He even encouraged its development so that it could come with its own technical words which is its most apparent weakness.
Guest   Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:11 am GMT
Yes, most of the Philippine presidents and heroes are of mixed heritage.

Jose Rizal was primarily Fujianese-Tagalog with traces of Spanish, Japanese, and Pangasinan in his lineage.
http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~fasawwu/resources/img/jose-rizal.png

Manuel L. Quezon y Molina's mother was a Spanish mestiza and his father was a Chinese mestizo. Quezon looked very European.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/Quezon.jpg/180px-Quezon.jpg

Emilio Aguinaldo was Fujianese-Tagalog.
http://www.kqed.org/w/pacificlink/history/angelisland/images/photo-aguinaldo.jpg

Andres Bonifacio was Spanish-Tagalog.
http://www.bulatlat.com/images/2-44/andres.jpg

Sergio Osmeña was Fujianese-Cebuano-Spanish
http://www.pangulo.ph/images/osmena/osmena.jpg

Ferdinand Marcos was Fujianese-Japanese-Ilocano.
http://www.notablebiographies.com/images/uewb_07_img0460.jpg

Corazon Aquino is Fujianese-Kapampangan.
http://web02.gonzaga.edu/orgl/mentor2005/aquino/cory_aquino_pic.gif
Unknown Author   Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:26 am GMT
But what did Jose Rizal speak? , was it Fujianese? , nope. In what language were his works written?, Tagalog or Spanish?

Andres Bonifacio , during their revolution, what was written on the Philippine flag?, "Viva La Republica Filipina" , now what language is that?

Manuel L. Quezon was Americanized. The Americans did their best so the Filipinos would forget Spanish and learn English instead, they were promoting English during their colonization times.

Sergio Osmeña, he was also Americanized.

Ferdinand Marcos indeed looked Asian. But all he did was corruption, the Philippine economy massively declined during his term.

Corazon Aquino, she did not know anything in politics and in running a country. She became a president because the majority wanted her to be the president.

Which still exist up to the present time. Why do you think "Joseph Estrada" became a president of the Philippines?, did he graduate college? no, he was expelled from Ateneo de Manila University due to his attitude, he dropped from Mapua as well. What does being an actor has to do in running a country?

He won because the majority voted him. Filipino population is easy to trick, if you have the talent to trick people and pull them off to support you, they will worship you and probably be your slaves. Like I said in earlier posts, the majority of the Filipino population lacks education.

Try auditioning in ABS-CBN or GMA in the Philippines, 2 largest broadcasting networks. If you become an actor, when you reach 40, run for presidency, trust me,you'll win. Just look who is running for government positions for the upcoming election. A boxer, Manny Pacquiao, he is indeed our pride.I have no means of disrespect but politically speaking, what can boxing do in running a city?, box the robbers off the city?, box the landlords to get cheaper land prices?, aww c'mon.

They will kill for a candy back there.
cebuana   Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:19 pm GMT
Learning Tagalog was hard enough then the English. If you will add Spanish........mannnnn..... my head is spinning already.

I'm glad I understand English 'cause I love American movies. I got low grades in my Pilipino subjects, yes, my Tagalog accent isn't right. If Spanish will be added in school curriculum, that's too much.

I don't care if my bisaya has some spanish, english, chinese, whatsoever. I consider them my own.......bisaya. I am not interested in learning spanish and I agree with Tiffany...for what will it prove?
Bill   Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:48 pm GMT
In my opinion, the Philippines should specialize in several things. One of them is for example an important import/export world center. You need to speak several languages: English and Spanish is a good choice.

You have also a lot of Call Centers, and you need to know several languages. Besides, if you speak English and Spanish you can understand a lot of people from 100 countries. Well, you choose...
Unknown Author   Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:35 am GMT
Cebuana, how do you count in Cebuano?, from numbers 1 to gazillion you will count in Spanish no matter what. Excluding the 6,000+ more words that you use in Cebuano dialect.

You are having a hard time learning Tagalog, and it is the official language of the Philippines. What I am saying is, put back Spanish and make it the official language of the country AGAIN. Therefore, the country can be united and not only the country, we can also be united with our brothers in Latin America and Spain, which means MORE OPPORTUNITY for the Filipinos when it comes to real life issues such as having great jobs etc.

What good will Tagalog bring to the Filipino people?, will it help them find better jobs in the future?, yes it will, by teaching Tagalog maybe?,but who the hell wants to learn Tagalog?

If a Filipino speaks Spanish (like me) , I can teach Spanish, I can go to any country in Latin America and find a job there because I speak Spanish ,I can go to Europe and find a job there because I speak Spanish. I can go to the USA and find a job as easy as a snap because I speak Spanish and American companies PREFER English AND Spanish speakers over English speakers only or speakers of other languages because Spanish is their 2nd language.

Letting the Spanish language go just like that is another form of letting a huge opportunity go, especially for Filipinos. Leave the cruel past behind, it is not a reason for Filipinos to disregard having the Spanish language again. If you compare the third world countries, Philippines and the whole Latin America... why are the 3rd world Latin American countries MORE SUCCESSFUL compare to the Philippines, our cultures are the same, our ways of living are the same,our attitudes are very similar to them , everything is the same..except for one, our language has been changed.
They are united, we are isolated. As a businessman and as an economist, I totally guarantee everyone here that language DOES make a huge difference.
Unknown Author   Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:44 am GMT
By the way, your Cebuano dialect may be different, but I have enough Cebuano friends over here. When a Spanish person speakers, they can pick more words that makes up more than half of the sentence that the Spanish guy speaks.

Whether you like it or not, your dialect borrows so many words from Spanish. I remember seeing one guy getting mad over some debate and he was speaking in pure Tagalog, after his come back, all the Spanish-Tagalog speakers just started language including me. Why?, we pointed out at him each Spanish word that he used while he was pushing away the Spanish language.

Like I said, many of the Filipinos are ignorant about this, most of you do not know the thousands and thousands of words that the Tagalog language borrowed from the Spanish language. Did you know that I was born speaking only Tagalog and English?, I learned Spanish myself without having any Spanish classes. It took me approximately 3 months to perfectly learn everything, the only thing I needed to be fluent is to speak it. It does not take forever for a Filipino to learn Spanish, for the fact that WE DO NOT HAVE TO ADJUST FOR THE ACCENT AND PRONUNCIATIONS and WE USE A LOT OF SPANISH WORDS, therefore, it is very easy to get familiar. Now I use the language in business meetings and as a 25 yr. old man, trust me, I have achieved more than what a successful 40 year old could have achieved. Because I am trilingual, in where I speak the two languages that are spoken by the majority of the business people. What did Tagalog contribute to my success? nothing, I only use it at home and with my Filipino friends.
Unknown Author   Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:46 am GMT
First Sentences. "When a Spanish person SPEAKS******"

Second Paragraph . "just started LAUGHING******"

Corrections, I am in a rush.

Have a good day everyone
Phil-Resident   Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:55 am GMT
Unknown Author, are you Spanish mestizo or what?

Why are you so eager to make Spanish an official language in the Philippines when there are very very few Filipinos do no not bother to learn it?

Actually there are other foreign languages that Filipinos learn nowadays like Italian. I heard many Filipinos who've been there speak it fluently. Japanese too is widely spoken by many Filipinos since there are a number of expatriates there.
Pinoy   Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:17 am GMT
He's a troll, plain and simple. I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.