Arabic in France or Spanish in USA

Guest   Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:59 pm GMT
<<In my opinion Italian-Americans prefer Spanish. Asian-Americans and Afro-Americans also prefer Spanish because WASP Anglos are very racist. If all depends of Asiatic and Afroamericans, their vote will be amazing!!!>>

Well you don't know what you're talking about and probably have never stepped foot in the United States. African-Americans hate Hispanics for the most part, and all of the European-based white people relate more with the English movement than with the Hispanic movement.

<<That only proves the Constitution was written by people who only knew English, they would kill to know Spanish and write it in Spanish.>>

Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Indepedence. He spoke several languages, including French, Spanish, and Latin.

<<Now circumstances are different and any laws say English is the language of US>>

One can easily be made. It's almost happened on several occasions in the past decade, but I suspect it will happen very soon now that the debate is heating up.

I grow tiresome of this debate and listening to foreigners try and tell me how my country should be run. Bottom line is that Spanish has no chance of gaining any real status here in the United States, as over 80% of my comrades here agree that English should be made into the official language.
Guest   Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:03 pm GMT
<<That is not so simple. In California 25% of population speaks Spanish. You can't ignore it and remain stuck to a English-only model.>>

That's the percentage of people who speak Spanish at home, and it's not such an overwhelming number that we should kowtow to their demands. Anyways, a lot of those people speak English when they leave their home. Futhermore, English is the OFFICIAL language of California.

This country should not sacrifice its linguistic unity if it doesn't have to.
American Pedophile   Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:06 pm GMT
"African-Americans hate Hispanics for the most part"

HA, HA, HA.

African-Americans ALSO HATE WASP Americans MORE THAN HISPANICS.

"all of the European-based white people relate more with the English movement than with the Hispanic movement."

Irish, Italian and Polish Americans are Catholic, and their connexion with Hispanics is stronger than with racists WASP.

Asian Americans (very important also in the near future) don´t care about Spanish or English in USA.

So, you shoudn´t be so confident.
Guest   Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:17 pm GMT
The above analysis by "American Pedophile" is probably amongst the worst I've ever heard on the discussion. It shows a true lack of understanding of the situation. I suspect that you're an overzealous person using wishful thinking.

African-Americans dislike Hispanics and Whites with equal vigor. But because they all speak English, they won't be hurrying to learn or promote the use of Spanish.

Irish, Italians, and Polish all may share a common religion with Hispanics, but that's not going to have them rushing to drop English in favor of Spanish. As Americans who have been speaking English in the United States for generations, they're not going to make any radical changes like switching now. That's one of the biggest stretches anyone has ever made on here.

Asian-Americans will learn whatever language will allow them to be the most successful, and that will remain English.
Adolf   Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:21 pm GMT
These catholic americans must obey the Pope, and Benedict XVI is a friend of hispanics, he would eventually tell the catholics to support the cause of hispanics. This way, a language very related to Catholicism would become official in US.
Guest   Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:50 pm GMT
<<These catholic americans must obey the Pope, and Benedict XVI is a friend of hispanics, he would eventually tell the catholics to support the cause of hispanics. This way, a language very related to Catholicism would become official in US.>>

Thanks for the laugh! Catholics in the United States tend to think for themselves.
Benedict XVI   Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:54 pm GMT
Si, yo apoyo a los Hispanos!!!! AMEN.
Adolf   Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:11 pm GMT
I don't know if they think for themselves, but Catholic Religion bases on obeying the Pope.
Benedict XVI   Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:12 pm GMT
Ja!!! Genau!!!! Deutsch und Spanish sind meine Sprache!!!!
Guest   Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:50 pm GMT
It's not as if the Pope would get into official language issues anyways, but were that unlikely scenario to occur, most American Catholics would ignore him.
Franco   Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:13 pm GMT
TOdos los poderes eventualmente mueren, así será con EEUU (afortunadamente) y Francia (desafortunadamente para la gente, no para el idioma)

Se hablará CHINO RUSO y ESPANOL por todas partes del mundo, incluso la Antártida!
Adolf   Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:20 pm GMT
Franco, gracias al cambio climático posiblemente los hielos de la Antártida se derritan. Entonces allí los hispanos podríamos crear un país utópico donde la gente pueda hablar español libremente.
Guest   Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:23 pm GMT
You won't see the American power end in your lifetime, unfortunately for you!
Adolf   Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:29 pm GMT
I don't mind, that doesn't change my bank account.
Guest   Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:30 pm GMT
I'm glad for you then!