Polite invitations

Klingon Ambassador   Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:54 am GMT
What about an invitation in the klingon style:

You! Come to dinner - NOW!

A refusal will make for a - DECLARATION OF WAR!
K. T.   Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:10 am GMT
Works for me:)
Pos   Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:16 am GMT
<<It's more of a matter that it's something that Americans generally don't say anymore... it would be like greeting one another with "How do you do?" It may have been common mere decades ago, but I rarely hear it except as a deliberate affectation. >>

This is one of the problems with American business people in an international context. They do not have the ability to use high formal forms. In some countries, this tends to present them as rather rude and abrupbt.
furrykef   Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:55 am GMT
<< Really? I say "How do you do?" when I meet someone for the first time. Of course, ONLY the first time. >>

Hmm, that's curious. I'm pretty sure I only hear it in older films and literature, myself.

Where are you from?

- Kef
Guest   Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:13 am GMT
<Hmm, that's curious. I'm pretty sure I only hear it in older films and literature, myself. >

"How do you do" is used all over the world in daily business situations. Don't Americans use it?
Travis   Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:51 am GMT
>>"How do you do" is used all over the world in daily business situations. Don't Americans use it?<<

It is not used much in North American English, and for that matter is likely to come off as excessively formal and just rather weird to many North Americans (like many of the aforementioned examples).
Guest   Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:10 am GMT
<It is not used much in North American English, and for that matter is likely to come off as excessively formal and just rather weird to many North Americans (like many of the aforementioned examples). >

Most American business people use "Howdy". Yuk! Commoners.
furrykef   Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:48 am GMT
<< Most American business people use "Howdy". >>

Maybe in Texas. :P
Travis   Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:01 pm GMT
>>Most American business people use "Howdy". Yuk! Commoners.<<

"Howdy" really isn't used in most of North America - as Kef said, you'd probably hear that in Texas if you really heard it anywhere.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:00 pm GMT
However whichway Americans greet each other I'd just like to say that I have only just realised what today's date means to them.....the 231st anniversary of the day they "got rid" of Big Bad Brit.

Happy Fourth of July - or what's left of it. And no! - we do NOT celebrate Independence Day here in the UK! You'd be gobsmacked if you knew the number of American tourists over here who ask if we do. It was YOU who got shut of US and not the other way round, remember! Some even ask if we celebrate Thanksgiving ...or even Christmas for goodness sake!

As they would say: Yikes!

I'm off now to see the Royal Navy in action..... :-)
Travis   Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:00 pm GMT
Actually, to be a pedant, the Fourth of July is *not* the anniversary of any sort of military defeat of the UK in the War of Independence or the signing of the treaty which formally ended it. Rather, it is just the anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, which really amounted to little other than a bit of propaganda at most. Were it really commemorating any kind of military defeat of the British, it would really be on a day like October 17 (or 19), corresponding to the surrenders at Yorktown and Saratoga (which both were on the 17th of October, but the formal surrender at Yorktown as on the 19th).
Mr. Richter   Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:31 pm GMT
The British don't thank the Americans enough.
HM   Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:31 pm GMT
<However whichway Americans greet each other I'd just like to say that I have only just realised what today's date means to them.....the 231st anniversary of the day they "got rid" of Big Bad Brit. >

The USA, still a young country with a questionable culture and lots to learn. Big bad Brit has been around a long time.
HM   Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:33 pm GMT
<Were it really commemorating any kind of military defeat of the British, it would really be on a day like October 17 (or 19), corresponding to the surrenders at Yorktown and Saratoga (which both were on the 17th of October, but the formal surrender at Yorktown as on the 19th). >

How come you English speakers don't label as terrorists those who fought against the Brits at that time?
Mr Richter   Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:32 pm GMT
"Big bad Brit has been around a long time." - HM

Ha. The idea of British superiority was summarily slapped down in 1914.