Vosotros

Nyong   Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:20 am GMT
AFAIK many people don't learn "vosotros" in Spanish.

Did you learn "vosotros"?

Saludo,

Nyong
Guest   Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:36 am GMT
аny one who learns european spanish must learn it, most people who learn american spanish also learn it or knows of it passively, similar how a european learner ususually knows passively about vos butmaybe can't use it.
Cowoq   Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:38 am GMT
Yes, I know some Americans (including Latin Americans) who are either unsure of conjugating vosotros verb forms, or don't know it at all.

I learned Spanish in Spain, so I know how to use it. But apparently in America it's obsolete. They only use "ustedes".
K. T.   Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:48 am GMT
It was in the book used at my school, but we weren't required to do the questions/exercises with "vosotros"; in college, it was the same.

I have studied it on my own, though.
Rodrigo   Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:52 am GMT
I agree with Guest, it's important that learners at least understand what is being expressed if somebody uses vosotros. I'm a native Spanish speaker and it's very common to "mock" somebody who has just "invented" a verb by saying it in all persons of the present, and even though we don't use vosotros regularly we do use it in this case. Also it appears in all text books.

Explanation on the "game" we play: Most of this cases are anglicisms, like chatear and other less standard like hackear (hack) and freakear (freak[out]).

Yo hackeo
Tú hackeas
Él hackea
Nosotros hackeamos
Vosotros hackeáis
Ellos hackean

I can also think of the verb arisquear which means to be arisco (very sensitive and easily angered).

Yo me arisqueo
tú te arisqueas
él se arisquea
nosotros nos arisqueamos
vosotros os arisqueáis
ellos se arisquean

Nevertheless, I find the vosotros conjugation similar to the tú conjugation, only adding a vowel, usually an i, so with a little practice I could use vosotros frequently.
cowoq   Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:40 am GMT
[[ I find the vosotros conjugation similar to the tú conjugation, only adding a vowel, usually an i, so with a little practice I could use vosotros frequently. ]]

Well, there are essential vowel and accent changes.
For example:

tú encUEntrAs
vs.
vosotros encOntrÁIs

tú sIguEs
vs.
vosotros sEguÍs

tú dUErmEs
vs.
vosotros dOrmÍs
AJI   Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:51 am GMT
Argentinians (and voseantes from other countries) don't use neither "tú" nor "vosotros".
Instead they use "vos" and "ustedes".

The conjugation of "vos" is very similar to that of "vosotros", though.
Just omit the final unaccented I, and keep the word accent.

In the case of -IR verbs, vos and vosotros have practically identical endings in present indicative:

vos(otros) venís
vos(otros) dormís
vos(otros) decís

-AR verbs:

vos hablás
vosotros habláis

In Venezuela they say "vos habláis", and in Chile "tú hablái"

-ER verbs:

vos comés
vosotros coméis

In Venezuela "vos coméis", and in Chile "tú comís"
Guest   Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:43 am GMT
The most logic combination would be vos (you) and vosotros (you and others). This should be added to an eventual Spanish reform. On the other hand usted and ustedes should be used as the polite variants of vos/vosotros.

Yo canto
Vos cantas
El canta
Ella canta
Nosotros cantamos
Vosotros cantais
Ellos Cantan
Guest   Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:19 am GMT
Creo que debemos crear un nuevo pronombre que se usaría para dirigirse a dos o más personas, en lugar de vosotros y ustedes.

Tús - es muy simple, la forma plural de 'tú', la conjugaciones indicarían de cuántas personas se trata, miren los ejemlos:

tú hablas - 1 persona
tús hablasas - 2 personas
tús hablasasas - 3 personas

etc

no sería necesario tener conjugaciones distintas para más de cinco personas, entonces no hay por qué especificar el número exacto...

¿qué les parece?
Guest   Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:25 am GMT
These spanish threads are so flimsy and repetitive
Greg   Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:26 am GMT
Spanish threads are the only worthy thing in this stupid forum
Guest   Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:28 am GMT
Spanish threads are the only real rubbish in this forum
greg   Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:30 am GMT
English language boring and childish. That is the reason why I prefer French .
furrykef   Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:43 am GMT
I didn't learn vosotros in my three years in high school. Our textbook included it, so we knew what it was and we could learn the conjugations if we really wanted to (I doubt any of us did; we were a lazy class). I haven't really studied it after high school, either. When I write in Spanish online, I use ustedes. I might use vosotros if I'm speaking to a group that I know consists of mostly Spainiards, but hasn't happened yet.

I can conjugate most of it from memory, though, although it does take a few seconds to think for one of them:

Present: habláis, bebéis, vivís
Preterite: hablasteis, bebisteis, vivisteis
Imperfect: hablabais, bebíais, vivíais
Conditional: hablarías, beberíais, viviríais
Future: hablaréis*, beberéis*, vivirés*
Subjunctive: habléis, bebáis, viváis
Imperf. Subj.: hablarais, bebierais, vivierais
Imperative: hablad, bebid*, vivid

Stars mark the ones whose endings I got wrong and have corrected afterwards. For the future I had written -áis instead of -éis, and for beber's imperative I had -id. In addition, I know that the present of ser is "sois". I remembered that the present of ir was also irregular, but forgot what it was (it's "vais"). Not bad for a verb form I never really bothered to memorize.

- Kef
Guest   Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:46 am GMT
I have an idea: why not using tu/vos/vosotros this way:

tu: one person

vos: two people

vosotros: two people (vos) and more (otros)