Vosotros

Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:59 am GMT
Yo hablaba - I spoke
El hablaba - He spoke
----------------------
Yo hablé - I spoke
El habló - He spoke

Even though in English they both mean the same, they are a bit different in Spanish, I guess it would be something like when you say "I speak" and "I do speak" and in Spanish they both mean "Yo hablo" but in English they're a bit different.
furrykef   Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:00 am GMT
Usually "hablaba" would be translated as "was speaking", although in some contexts it may mean "used to speak" or, indeed, "spoke". But "was speaking" gives the general idea of what this conjugation is used for. By contrast, "habló" would be very unlikely to be translated as "was speaking".

- Kef
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:46 am GMT
Spanish Simple past and Imperfect are not exchangeble
furrykef   Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:57 pm GMT
Hey guys, remember when this thread was about "vosotros"?
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:09 pm GMT
There are some funny people who keep on writing about the easiness of the Spanish language and they did not even know that Spanish Past simple and imperfect are not exchangeble. This is one of the most difficult aspect in Spanish, particularly for Germanic speaking people, Hungarians, Finns. Turks, whose languages don't distinguish these two tenses. Guys, linguistics is a serious matter.
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:30 pm GMT
Dear Guest, I don't want to sound rude, but your intelligence must be really limited if you think that Spanis is difficult. Those who have at least 100 IQ don't share your point of view. Since it's Christmas time, this is my gift to you:

Imperfect past: the action denoted by the verb has not yet finished

Simple Perfect past: the action denoted by the verb has already finished.

Isn't it easy as hell? Linguistics is fun and easy, at least with regards to Spanish or Italian which is even easier.
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:34 pm GMT
Your brain is really easy, elementary I'd say
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:41 pm GMT
Just Americans always talk about IQ. They usually speak all languages with strong and awful accents. The Grammar is also a big problem for them, since their language is so poor and elementary. In my view even the Malay language must be hard for them!
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:43 pm GMT
What you have to learn about Spanish tenses is which tense you have to pick up to model the moment in which the action takes place, rather than being worried about the fact that there are as many tenses . There are just as many as in English, no more, no less. The difference is that Spanish uses conjugations to express them.
Lucy   Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:58 pm GMT
I can't be more agree. I learn Spanish while I cook for my husband and find it to be very easy.
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:04 pm GMT
What language do you learn when do you have sex with the other men? Arabic, Russian, Italian, Turkish?
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:26 pm GMT
The post above is really funny. At last someone ironic in here
furrykef   Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:55 pm GMT
¿Recuerdan aquel tiempo en que este hilo era sobre "vosotros"?
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:00 pm GMT
Este hilo FUE sobre nosotros.
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:18 pm GMT
este hilo era!