is it difficult to speak English?

Sander   Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:36 pm GMT
=> Heard of the NHS?? ;) <=

Yes I have, not much good though, I hear most good medical personnel goes to work in the 'private sector'.
Boy   Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:34 pm GMT
To add to Sander's incantation, We rule hockey too, not England! :)
Rick Johnson   Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:43 pm GMT
<<Go drink warm beer, eat your disgusting fried fish, and go make a 16 year old pregnant.>>

Sounds like a good way to spend a Friday night to me!!
Sander   Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:45 pm GMT
( :-0
Candy   Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:24 pm GMT
<<To add to Sander's incantation, We rule hockey too, not England! :) >>

And who in England gives a damn about hockey?! ;) Would anybody in NL care that England 'rule' cricket or rugby?? (Not saying they do, necessarily, only that the Dutch wouldn't care!) :-)
Adam   Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:29 pm GMT
"To add to Sander's incantation, We rule hockey too, not England! :) "

How depressing.

We aren't very good at hockey. What a disaster!

We're good at cricket. I've seen the Holland cricket team in action during the 2003 World Cup. They play like a bunch of schoolgirls.
Adam   Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:30 pm GMT
"<<Go drink warm beer, eat your disgusting fried fish, and go make a 16 year old pregnant.>> "

You come from come a country where you can legally kill people.
Candy   Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:34 pm GMT
Please, please let's not do this stupid hostile 'my country is better than yours' crap YET AGAIN. Senselessly provocative posts like Adam's above (and also the 'make a 16 year old pregnant' by fake Sander) achieve absolutely nothing. Can we at least try to behave like grown-ups?
Adam   Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:35 pm GMT
"That would be Americans and Canadians, Adam (and many others, probably)
I think you're exaggerating 'slightly'!
(Why am I even responding to Adam??) "

SLIGHTLY exaggerating.

Britain is actually 6 times larger than the Netherlands (5.8955835 times larger to be precise.)

UK is 244,820 sq kms.

Netherlands is 41,526 sq kms.
Adam   Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:38 pm GMT
Life expectancy in NL: 78.81 years
in UK: 78.38 years

Netherlands:
GDP (purchasing power parity):
$481.1 billion (2004 est.)
GDP - real growth rate:
1.2% (2004 est.)
GDP - per capita:
purchasing power parity - $29,500 (2004 est.)

UK:
GDP (purchasing power parity):
$1.782 trillion (2004 est.)
GDP - real growth rate:
3.2% (2004 est.)
GDP - per capita:
purchasing power parity - $29,600 (2004 est.)
--------------------------------------------------

The Netherlands has a weeny economy, its real economic growth rate is about three times lower than the UK and the British are richer than the Dutch.
Adam   Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:40 pm GMT
"Please, please let's not do this stupid hostile 'my country is better than yours' crap YET AGAIN. Senselessly provocative posts like Adam's above (and also the 'make a 16 year old pregnant' by fake Sander) achieve absolutely nothing. Can we at least try to behave like grown-ups? "

Says Candy, who made this post -

Biggest economies by purchasing power (GDP PPP, $billion)
6th in the world: UK, 1420
18th in the world: Netherlands, 436

Highest GDP per head:
12th in the world: UK, 23,920 US$
13th in the world: Netherlands, 23,860 US$

(The Economist, 2004 figures)
A Dutch guy told me recently that salaries are on average 10% higher in the UK, but I can't confirm that.
Adam   Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:42 pm GMT
British salaries are higher than those on the Continent and British taxes are one-sixth lower than they are on the Continent.

That means that the take-home pay of the average British worker is the second-highest in Europe after Luxembourg, and higher even than Ireland, which is supposed to be the 2nd richest country in the world.
Candy   Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:47 pm GMT
<<"Please, please let's not do this stupid hostile 'my country is better than yours' crap YET AGAIN. Senselessly provocative posts like Adam's above (and also the 'make a 16 year old pregnant' by fake Sander) achieve absolutely nothing. Can we at least try to behave like grown-ups? "

Says Candy, who made this post ->>

Adam, that's stating economic figures, for God's sake. It's not telling people that their country kills people legally! Do you really not see the difference?
Adam   Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:48 pm GMT
No. It's still facts about each country.
Candy   Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:51 pm GMT
Well, imagine the following: saying to a German that 1) the capital of their country is Berlin and 2) their country was responsible for killing lots of people in WW2. Both 'facts' about the country, but one is provocative, and one isn't. Do you still REALLY not see the difference?

Oh, why am I bothering?