is it difficult to speak English?

Adam   Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:59 pm GMT
Public debt (% of GDP) (Not all countries in the list. Just my selection).

Japan - 164.30

Italy - 105.60

Belgium - 96.20

France - 67.70

Germany - 65.80

United States - 65.00

Austria - 64.20

Switzerland - 57.20

**Netherlands** - 55.80

Spain - 53.20

Brazil - 52.00

Sweden - 51.60

Poland - 49.90

Finland - 46.80

Denmark - 42.50

**Britain** - 39.60
Adam   Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:00 pm GMT
"Well, imagine the following: saying to a German that 1) the capital of their country is Berlin and 2) their country was responsible for killing lots of people in WW2. Both 'facts' about the country, but one is provocative, and one isn't. Do you still REALLY not see the difference? "

Why is it being provocative telling a German that their country was responsible for millions of deaths in WWII?
A. German   Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:42 pm GMT
I feel I must apologise for the conduct of my nation in the war!
Sander   Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:57 pm GMT
"Well, imagine the following: saying to a Brit that 1) the capital of their country is London and 2) their country was responsible for killing lots of people in WW2. Both 'facts' about the country, but one is provocative, and one isn't. Do you still REALLY not see the difference? "

Why is it being provocative telling a Brit that their country was responsible for millions of deaths in WWII?
Sander   Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:02 pm GMT
=> You come from come a country where you can legally kill people. <=

No that would mean we have the death penalty, you're talking about euthanasia, and I am damn proud about it.

=>Britain is actually 6 times larger than the Netherlands (5.8955835 times larger to be precise.) <=

So Britain isn't 6 times larger.

=>A Dutch guy told me recently that salaries are on average 10% higher in the UK, but I can't confirm that.<=

And where would you have met a Dutchman?! You never leave your pathetic Bolton house where you still live with your parents, for 40 years now right? L-O-S-E-R
Candy   Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:08 pm GMT
<<And where would you have met a Dutchman?! You never leave your pathetic Bolton house where you still live with your parents, for 40 years now right? L-O-S-E-R >>

Uhm, Sander, it was me who write that!! It was the husband of a colleague of mine.

<<Why is it being provocative telling a Brit that their country was responsible for millions of deaths in WWII?>>

What the hell do you mean?
Candy   Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:10 pm GMT
write = wrote
Travis   Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:21 pm GMT
>><<Why is it being provocative telling a Brit that their country was responsible for millions of deaths in WWII?>>

What the hell do you mean?<<

/me blinks.
Sander   Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:29 pm GMT
=>Uhm, Sander, it was me who wrote that!! It was the husband of a colleague of mine. <=

Nonono, I knew that , I was quoting it with Adams response ;-)

=>What the hell do you mean? <=

Well, millions is a bit much, but during the war, british soldiers were responsible for quite an amount of innocent deaths and this can't be ignored just because they were part of the allies.
Travis   Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:32 pm GMT
>>=>What the hell do you mean? <=

Well, millions is a bit much, but during the war, british soldiers were responsible for quite an amount of innocent deaths and this can't be ignored just because they were part of the allies.<<

Basically, it can be summed up in one word: Dresden.
Sander   Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:35 pm GMT
=>Basically, it can be summed up in one word: Dresden. <=

There are a number of other incidencents but yeah, that was where I was aiming on. :-)
Candy   Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:39 pm GMT
<<Basically, it can be summed up in one word: Dresden. >>

So Dresden was just a British raid, was it?
Travis   Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:43 pm GMT
>><<Basically, it can be summed up in one word: Dresden. >>

So Dresden was just a British raid, was it?<<

Well, no, but that doesn't mean they weren't heavily involved in such. Was anything said here about Americans *not* also being responsible in all of such?
Sander   Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:44 pm GMT
Of course not, but they did participate. If there's one thing to understand about war is that nobody and no country is sollomly responsible.
Candy   Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:46 pm GMT
<<sollomly>>

???