To the English people here: Celtic or Anglo-Saxon bloodline?

Celtic power   Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:05 am GMT
Celts are the real Britons. Anglos are invaders and should be expeled. Anglos go back to Germany.
guest   Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:06 pm GMT
<<Celts are the real Britons. Anglos are invaders and should be expeled. Anglos go back to Germany. >>

Celts were not the first to arrive in Britain--they were only the ones who arrived last immediately before the Romans and Saxons, therefore they cannot be the "real" Britons in the sense that we think of Britons today (i.e. those who live on the island).

"Celtic Power"???
I do not have anything against Celts--I am Celt, probably more than I am Saxon (in fact, I know for sure I'm more Celt than Saxon), but don't you think that name is bit of an oxyMoron?
Guest   Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:09 pm GMT
oxyMoron? LOL!
oxyTroll, I say.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:10 pm GMT
As far as Celtic Britain is concerned, the distribution of blood groups among the native British population within these islands gives you some indication of their racial origins......naturally, the predominance of blood group O in the more western regions of the UK indicate the strong Celtic influence. Blood goup A is much more evident in the more eastern and southern areas, ie closer to the Continent, reflecting the ancestral links to the Saxons, Danes, Jutes, and others, who had invaded this island nation from the east and north east over the centuries, way back in the dim and distant.

However, it is now much more difficult to determine such ancestral links by blood groupings, due to a considerably more mobile population, and the very large increase in immigration not only from other parts of modern day Europe, but also from elsewhere in the world.

What we now see remaining of the strong Celtic influence in those fringe areas of the UK I mentioned really do have a mystical air about them, and looking at the various relics in the form of ruined and well preserved abbeys (such as the very famous one on the island of Iona, in the west of Scotland - which is now very much a shrine and centre of pilgrimage, virtually) and all the distinctive and ancient Celtic crosses you see dotted around all over the place in the Celtic fringes of Scotland, western England (especially Cornwall) and all of Wales, really do instil a sense of mysticism and a sort of reverence for what they represent in the history of this country. It goes without saying that the Celtic languages which still survive in these areas all add to this special atmosphere.

Outside of my own region, Scotland, I found that North West Wales exuded this sort of air of mysticism, not only from all the ancient relics still there to see in the rugged countryside, but of course from the very strong influence of the Welsh Language in that area. The very Welsh Language place names simply added to the feeling of Celtic mystery.

I had the same sort of feeling down in Cornwall, the one English county that bears very, very little resemblance to the rest of England, all due to its very strong Celtic origins.

Cornwall has much more in common with Wales than it has with anywhere in England. Just a short hop across the Channel, over in France, the same can be said for Britanny - where the Breton Language still hangs on by the single thread of a spider's web. As with Kernow (Cornish name for Cornwall), Brittany actually looks more like Cornwall than anywhere else in France.

The fact that the Bretons drive on the right, and the Cornish drive on the left is purely incidental....blame that on Napolean! Oh!....and Cornwall still being part of an island nation which, like with Adolf Hitler a couple of centuries or so later, firmly held out against the Boney Dictator's evil intentions.
George   Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:11 pm GMT
Here,s.one for ya. I have red hair, blue green eyes. Mothers side german. Fathers side scots-irish bood type B+. What the hell dose that make me.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:51 pm GMT
Mmm.....let's see - red hair and green eyes? It just has to be the Irish part of you! Blood Group B .....in the British Isles (which includes the whole of Ireland) this group is very much dominant in the south of Ireland, the extreme north of Scotland, and in the west central parts of Scotland, from Glasgow westwards to Greenock, and down as far as Stranraer, in Galloway. Also in many parts of north and west Wales. All these areas pretty much fall into the Celtic fringe areas of these islands.

What a nice combination - chestnut red hair and sparking green eyes....so typical of the Emerald Isle. My one and only visit to Ireland was a very fleeting affair a couple of years ago.....a mate and I on a short trip over to Dun Laoghaire on the ferry from Holyhead (Anglesey, North Wales), then some hours spent in Dublin city centre and later on supping Guiness in the bars enjoying the craic...... then missing the last ferry back to Holyhead that night! Result - a night spent at the ferry terminal chatting and joking with some dishy cool Irish Gardai (The Garda is the Irish Police Force and Gardai are the police officers).

One thing for sure you are not is a Mancunian (someone from Manchester). Here is Jordan, a lad from Manchester, with about the most Coronation Street type Mancunian accent it's possible to get, explaining the intricacies of dating in Manchester. A word of warning - make sure you have some very large pinches of salt close at hand when you hear some of the things he has to say...so Mancunian, so Rover's Return!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXE_RGD2-a0&feature=related
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:00 pm GMT
<<Here,s.one for ya. I have red hair, blue green eyes. Mothers side german. Fathers side scots-irish bood type B+. What the hell dose that make me. >>

DUTCH
It makes you Dutch
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:09 pm GMT
Do people who are red haired have also red pubic hair? Just by curiosity.
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:19 pm GMT
<<Here is Jordan, a lad from Manchester, with about the most Coronation Street type Mancunian accent it's possible to get, explaining the intricacies of dating in Manchester. A word of warning - make sure you have some very large pinches of salt close at hand when you hear some of the things he has to say...so Mancunian, so Rover's Return!
>>

Is he saying "Hit Her" or "Hate Her"?

Sounds like Ewan McGregor to me
Cunobelinos   Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:26 pm GMT
From Guest:
Celts were not the first to arrive in Britain--they were only the ones who arrived last immediately before the Romans and Saxons, therefore they cannot be the "real" Britons in the sense that we think of Britons today (i.e. those who live on the island).

I completely agree with the above statement from Guest.
Just a few points:
1.All genetic studies are based on modern gene demography.
2.Skeletons that have been found and tooth enamel tested,shows they came from the Alpine regions of Germany( Dated to the middle bronze age about 2000-1500 BC).
3.When ancient DNA has been extracted has contradicted modern DNA studies.Not all geneticists agree with these modern genetic studies.
Being part Welsh and part English I would have a problem if all the English had been expelled.
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:02 am GMT
"Mmm.....let's see - red hair and green eyes? It just has to be the Irish part of you! "

It often seems to me that you like to stereotype. Having red hair is not uncommon in Germany, too. In fact, there are dozens of red-haired, especially in the South-West.
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:02 pm GMT
Here,s.one for ya. I have red hair, blue green eyes.

red hair? Green eyes? It makes you a traffic light
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:59 pm GMT
***Here is Jordan, a lad from Manchester,
Is he saying "Hit Her" or "Hate Her"?***

Hit. You do realise that he was only joking, don't you?

***Sounds like Ewan McGregor to me ***

Really? Now it's you who's joking! Anyway, here's our very own local lad Ewan at different stages of his life:

Early days accent: typical accent of his home area - East Kilbride, near Glasgow, on some UK TV program of the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJkkVgBYN7U

A much later video clip - a somewhat changed accent, less distinctly Scottish, and with traces of Estuary, which has now spread, in a limited form, North of the Border from England to these parts of Scotland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPXd2kEu1FU

Ewan McGregor singing in his native Scots: our official sporting anthem "O Flower of Scotland", which is always blasted out at full throttle at every football match involving Scotland, whether here at home or down in England or on the Continent. He uses his Scots dialect to the full :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ni9QkBfVhg&feature=related

Ewan doesn't sound anything like Jordan, the Mancs lad! :-)
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:05 pm GMT
The bloodline of English is Pakistan, African and Indian today.
Celts??? Anglosaxons??? In 2008??!!!
let's find one if you can!
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:39 pm GMT
True. English are almost all darkskinned today and deriving from people not born in Britain, it's enough going to London to see. Like French are 80% from Maghreb nowadays.
It's enough to watch their teams in sport competitions. The only white people left are Austrians, Dutch, Italians, Germans, Danish, Russian and others but not English in the general knowledge.
So talking about "celts" etc. in England today is something you can burst with laugh