The propa way to spel

Harr   Monday, April 26, 2004, 19:55 GMT
These are some of the spellings suggested by some people that I don't think are a very good idea. Some of them don't fit my accent and others just look like weird or strange spellings.

British Santa Claus's Spellings

find-fynd
vitamin-vittamin
depot-deppo
thought-thort
bought-bort
water-warter
Tuesday-Choozday

Joe's respellings

Pistol Star-Pistulstar
violoncello-violinchello
uh-oh-uhoh
uh-uh-uhuh
uh-huh-uhhuh
''do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, do''.- ''doa, ray, mee, fah, soal, lah, tee, doa''.
black hole-blakhole
white hole-witehole

Bill's respellings

Contretemps-contrataan'
Grand prix-graan' pree

The fake Jim's spellings

court-coort
four-foor

Ingglish's Spellings

herr-her
yirr-yir
err-er
hot water heater-hotwaaterheater
water heater-waaterheater

Hot water heater's spellings

island-eyeland
isle-eyele
full-ful
pull-pul
Houston-Hustun

Ghoti's spellings

boxing-boxxing
smoke detector-smoke dettecter
hot water heater-hotwotterheeter
ex-friend-eksfrend
Kookaburra-Kukaburra
Harr   Monday, April 26, 2004, 20:22 GMT
Houston-Hustun ''This looks like it should be pronounce [h^st..n] to me. Why not ''Huestun'' or ''Heustun''.

full-ful
pull-pul

''Ful'' and ''pul'' would not work because they look like they should be pronounced [f^l] and [p^l]. ''full'' and ''pull'' are pronounced [ful] and [pul].

Contretemps-contrataan'
Grand prix-graan' pree

Bill's using '' n' '' for [n:]. I don't think using an appostrophy as a letter is a very good idea. Also, If you use '' n' '' for ''n''. What about words like ''don't'', ''doesn't'', ''isn't'', ''wasn't'' etc. They have '' n' '' in them.

''do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, do''.- ''doa, ray, mee, fah, soal, lah, tee, doa''.

Joe's respelling the music scale. I think ''doa'' though looks like it should be pronounce [dOu..] like ''Boa contrictor''. There's only one word I can think of that using ''oa'' at the end pronounce [Ou] and that is ''cocoa''.

Pistol Star-Pistulstar

I think this is a weird spelling. Why respell ''Pistol Star'' as one word. It's the name of the largest and brightest known star.

boxing-boxxing

So, now we're going to start doubling ''x's'' when we add ''ing'' to ''x'' ending words.

I can see why you'd want to replace the ''-or'' with ''-er'' but why double the ''e''.

ex-friend-eksfrend

Are you going to replace all ''x's'' with ''ks''. If not then why spell ex-friend as ''eksfrend''.

uh-oh-uhoh
uh-uh-uhuh
uh-huh-uhhuh

These too me look like they should be pronounced [ju:hOu] and [ju:h^].
Harr   Monday, April 26, 2004, 20:35 GMT
violoncello-violinchello It's pronounced [vai..l..n tSelOu] not [vai..lin tSelOu].

''Real Jim or Fake Jim quotes,

''I think we should replace ''y'' with ''i'' wherever it doesn't say [j] as in ''yes'' but not happy.

Whi does ''y'' haftoo be a vowel when it should say [j].

why-whi
happy-happi

And

''I think that all ''y's'' that don't say [j] should be replaced by ''i'' so in that way writing the post vocalic ''y'' is simple. Just write ''y''. ''rouille'' can be ''rooy'' or ''rooee''.''

I was just wondering were these two quotes from the real Jim or the fake Jim.

Here's one of the fake Jim's quotes

''I think it will be a googol years before there's a spelling reform if humans make it that far.''

Does this faker understand how long he's talking about. No one can imagine how long a googol years is, not even how long a million years is. But, don't you think that if humans are still around a googol years in the future that there would be a spelling reform long before then.

It seems wrong to even think that same sentence saying ''a million years''.
Harr   Monday, April 26, 2004, 20:39 GMT
Jim's faker respelled this sentence.

''They went to see the grand prix and four lochs.''

''Thae went too see thu gron' pree and for lokhs.''

Jim, I was wondering how this sentence really comes out in your system.
Bill   Monday, April 26, 2004, 21:01 GMT
Jim, why won't ''rooey'' for ''rouille'' do?
Harr   Monday, April 26, 2004, 21:04 GMT
I've been wondering, are the ''ads by google'' on the top of the threads based on what people type in the threads. I just looked at them and just saw a bunch of ''hot water heater'' ads. And there was someone in here by that name.
Harr   Monday, April 26, 2004, 21:10 GMT
Jim writes ''rouillé''. Isn't the word spelled ''rouille''. That's how it's spelled in Merriam-websters dictionary. Definition-''a peppery garlic sauce''.
Dicshunerry   Monday, April 26, 2004, 21:20 GMT
It should not be respelled as ''dixionry''. Yeah, Britons pronounce all of the ''-ary'' endings lazily. They pronounce them all as ''ree'' but don't say ''skree'' for ''scary''. Why respell words like ''dictionary'', ''January'', inventory, ''military'', ''planetary'' etc. Based on the lazy way Britons pronounce them. Dikshunerry, ''Januerry'', ''Inventory'', ''milliterry'', and ''planneterry'' would be better. Joe respelled ''dictionary'' the right way. Britons may be too lazy to pronounce the ''a's'' but now they're also going to be too lazy to write them too.

If your going to respell ''fiction'' as ''fixion'' you might as well respell ''thanks'' as ''thanx''. Yes, Like Joe is doing. Why do we need the ''tion'', ''sion'', ''xion'' and ''gion'' endings. Are they really necessary.
Jim   Tuesday, April 27, 2004, 01:23 GMT
Real Jim Or Fake Jim Quotes

Just to clarify things, the following were not written by me.

''I think we should replace 'y' with 'i' wherever it doesn't say [j] as in 'yes' but not happy.

"Whi does 'y' haftoo be a vowel when it should say [j].

"why-whi
"happy-happi"

''I think that all 'y's' that don't say [j] should be replaced by 'i' so in that way writing the post vocalic 'y' is simple. Just write 'y'. 'rouille' can be 'rooy' or 'rooee'.''

''I think it will be a googol years before there's a spelling reform if humans make it that far.''

''They went to see the grand prix and four lochs.''

''Thae went too see thu gron' pree and for lokhs.''

How this sentence really comes out in my system is like this.

"Dhay went tu se dha gronn pre and foar lokhs."

"Rooey" looks like [ru:i(:)]. Isn't ''rouillé'' pronounced [ru:j]?

As for spelling I just looked at http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?dict=F&lang=F&key=19270 but I suppose you'd best ask a Frenchman.

There are just different accents and different dialects, Dicshunerry, to call one lazy is just plain naïve bigotry. I pronounce ''dictionary'', ''January'', "inventory", ''military'' and ''planetary'' as [dijS..nri(:)], [dZ@nju:ri(:)], [inv..ntri(:)], [mil..tri(:)] and [plan..tri(:)]. This is my accent not my laziness.

How do you pronounce "quart", "tune", "dune", "clothes", "due", "Tuesday" and "Arctic"? If you say [ko:rt], [tu:n], [du:n], [klOuz], [du:], [tu:zdei] and [a:rtik], I've got just as much reason to call your accent lazy ... just as much reason, that is, except for my greater ammount of common sense.

"Why do we need the 'tion', 'sion', 'xion' and 'gion' endings. Are they really necessary." There's more to it than plain necessity. These are very regular morphemes which English shares with a great number of other European languages. I see the value in keeping them.
Jim   Tuesday, April 27, 2004, 01:26 GMT
By the way, there is a difference between respelling "fiction" as "fixion" and respelling "thanks" as "thanx". The difference is that "thanks" is the plural of "thank".
Bill   Tuesday, April 27, 2004, 01:29 GMT
I looked up the word in the dictionary http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=rouille It only gives the ''rouille'' spelling and it lists a different definition than your dictionary.
Dicshunerry   Tuesday, April 27, 2004, 01:31 GMT
''Thanks'' isn't always the plural of ''thank''. ''Thanks is also a synonym of ''thank you''.
Harr   Tuesday, April 27, 2004, 01:44 GMT
These are some of the spellings suggested by some people that I don't think are a very good idea. Some of them don't fit my accent and others just look like weird or strange spellings.

British Santa Claus's Spellings

find-fynd
vitamin-vittamin
depot-deppo
thought-thort
bought-bort
water-warter
Tuesday-Choozday

Joe's respellings

Pistol Star-Pistulstar
violoncello-violinchello
uh-oh-uhoh
uh-uh-uhuh
uh-huh-uhhuh
black hole-blakhole
white hole-witehole

Bill's respellings

Contretemps-contrataan'
Grand prix-graan' pree

The fake Jim's spellings

court-coort
four-foor

Ingglish's Spellings

herr-her
yirr-yir
err-er
hot water heater-hotwaaterheater
water heater-waaterheater

Hot water heater's spellings

island-eyeland
isle-eyele
full-ful
pull-pul
Houston-Hustun

Ghoti's spellings

boxing-boxxing
hot water heater-hotwotterheeter
ex-friend-eksfrend
Kookaburra-Kukaburra

Don't many of these spellings look weird to you?

The weirdest thing I see is someone using '' n' '' as a diagraph to represent a sound.
Harr   Tuesday, April 27, 2004, 01:47 GMT
A lot of those suggested spellings look really messy to me.
Bill   Tuesday, April 27, 2004, 02:23 GMT
Jim, I think that was the French word you were looking up. The English word ''rouille'' meaning ''a peppery garlic sauce'' is spelled ''rouille''.