Le, el, ella

Julian   Friday, July 16, 2004, 03:26 GMT
>>"La palabra autóctona CUZCATLÁN significa "Tierra de Cosas Preciosas", era el nombre de la tierra salvadoreña en lengua Nahuathl antes de la conquista; posteriormente, y con la aceptación oficial de la lengua castellana, el nombre cambió a CUSCATLÁN, el cual es la palabra oficial hoy
en día."

Ahh, now I see. I thought it had something to do with that, but wasn't sure.

>><<Juan, yo no supe que acerca de tú.>> I almost fainted when I read the "tú". It should be "ti". (I don't want to criticize, just help).

Oops! I should've known better -- that's Spanish 101! Thanks for the correction, Xatufan.
Xatufan   Friday, July 16, 2004, 20:16 GMT
The Murray is drying up!!! I hope the Darling River is OK...

Cuscatlán. It sounds like Nahuatl. Beautiful language, you know.
Jordi   Friday, July 16, 2004, 20:31 GMT
Xatufan:
What's the idea behind the Australian river names? I'm lost.
Eugenia   Friday, July 16, 2004, 21:14 GMT
Toxic:
Australia:
1) Kangaroos
2) Koalas
3) Quite difficult English to catch
4) Juliana (a friend of mine who lives in Sydney) Lol
5) Beautiful landscapes
6) Beach, Sand and Surfers
7) The 2000 Olympic Games at Sydney
Xatufan   Saturday, July 17, 2004, 21:20 GMT
The Murray and the Darling are beautiful rivers. And the most weird thing about the Murray is that it doesn't form a delta (or at least it doesn't show up in my atlas...)

My cousin said that Australians pronounce "nice" as the US pronounciation of "noise". Is that true?
Jordi   Sunday, July 18, 2004, 06:46 GMT
I vote for CUZCATLAN as the official name immediately since being the only country in the world named after Jesus Christ must be far too much to bear (El Salvador= Our Saviour).
Damian   Sunday, July 18, 2004, 08:05 GMT
Oh dear.!....I admit ignorance now. I have never heard of Cuscatlan! Well, thanks to this forum I have now.

Australia..fascinating country..a Continent, in fact...all that empty space..I love films about it. I saw a TV documentary on Steve Irwin..he is totally insane! He was lying on the ground while he allowed the world's most venomous snake (the fierce snake of Queensland) to come right up close to his face. My blood froze. Australia has so many lethal snakes and spiders but I guess you learn to live with them. I've seen adders (vipers) in Perthshire, Scotland...the UK's only venomous snake.

Maybe the Murray River is drying up due to global climate change.
Juan   Sunday, July 18, 2004, 08:07 GMT
No way. The accent of the non-cultivated aussie speakers is a bit screechy but that doesn't mean they pronounce like that. It is just that US Americans are taken aback by such a distinct accent (from theirs anyway or any other they've come across) and it takes a while for their ears to decipher it and get accostumed to.
Jordi   Sunday, July 18, 2004, 10:50 GMT
Since I'm a bilingual Catalan and Australian speaker since my earliest childhood I agree with Juan and no, Xatufan, we don't pronounce "nice" as "noise" and a "nice noise" can be one beautitul sound but two distinctly pronounced words. Anyway, to call somebody's accent "a bit screechy" only means that it can be an offence on both sides.
Toxic   Monday, July 19, 2004, 04:51 GMT
Hey Xatufan
thanx so much, you really helped me with my school work thank you. And I was very confused about what other guys think of us (Australia) so thank again. and let me tel you that the Murray River isn't drying out. LOL thanks and hope to hear from you again soon. where you from?
toxic   Monday, July 19, 2004, 04:53 GMT
Eugenia
thanx too mate you helped me too thanks a million
mate
toxic   Monday, July 19, 2004, 04:57 GMT
hey Xatufan
you said (My cousin said that Australians pronounce "nice" as the US pronounciation of "noise". Is that true? ) I don't quite think it's true.lol
toxic   Monday, July 19, 2004, 04:59 GMT
Steve irwin is a bit insane isn't he.lol
Damian
Xatufan   Monday, July 19, 2004, 20:02 GMT
I read in the news that S. Irwin fed a crocodile with his baby in his arms. I don't know if the baby fell and the crocodile ate him (those things don't show up in a newspaper!), but hey, he was a bit insane for a while, like all of us!

There's a rule in this forum that says that no-one would help with one's homework, but you, Toxic, you've proved that it is wrong.
Juan   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 06:01 GMT
Jordi,

<<must be far too much to bear (El Salvador= Our Saviour).>>

You won't believe this story. When I was about 12 years old, I met a Chilean boy of about the same age. We where in a church meeting for young kids, and one of the things he enquired about was that if Jesus was born in "El Salvador". Everybody in the room burst out laughing when they heard this.