Proto Germanic / Germanic Languages Similarities

Sander   Friday, March 04, 2005, 20:02 GMT
Why doe you have it too ?
Fredrik from Norway   Friday, March 04, 2005, 21:09 GMT
Gays can have a civil marriage in Norway (registered partnership), but not in church. There is a debate about gay marriages in the church. The church partially accepts gays in partnerships as priests (I think it depends on the bishop of the actual diocese), so it might be coming.
Sander   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 13:20 GMT
Yeah that how we have it to...except "our" homosexuals are allowed to mary in churches.
fabbrice   Sunday, March 06, 2005, 11:24 GMT
"If English wasn't influenced by romance and nordic languages , Dutch and English would have remained very close , at least that's what I think ..."

for non-germanic speaking people, the english and dutch seem very close to each other. in comparision with other germanic languages modern english seem to be in its own linguitic category due to the french influence, but, when seen with an outside view (from a romance-speaking country) english is viewed as to be the brother language of dutch.
Sander   Sunday, March 06, 2005, 14:21 GMT
-Back to the topic-

fabbrice,

I agree when I was in France (on a "Fieldtrip") we held a pole under the french on their views about the european languages,they all thought that english and Dutch where very closely linked.When we got back in Holland the other students (who did the same pole in germany and england)
we got a strange picture.
-The germans thought that english sounded more or less like french.
-The english thought that it sounded more or less like french (probably because the had never heard dutch)
-And like I said before the frensh thought it sounded alot like dutch.
Sander   Sunday, March 06, 2005, 14:23 GMT
Oh oh ,I saw some errors in my post...

When we got back in Holland the other students
=
When we got back in Holland the other students presented their material and..

alot = a lot
Fredrik from Norway   Sunday, March 06, 2005, 21:23 GMT
we held a pole under the french.....

I really liked this Dutchism, which was impossible to understand at first!
Gay Odin   Sunday, March 06, 2005, 21:27 GMT
I thought it had something to do with some previous posts.
Fredrik from Norway   Sunday, March 06, 2005, 21:37 GMT
You mean the absolute, Dutch dildo treatment? LOL
Travis   Sunday, March 06, 2005, 21:41 GMT
Heh, I myself, as a native English speaker and a German student, find Dutch to be much closer to German than it is to English overall. Grammatically and vocabulary-wise, Dutch seems much more like German that it seems like English. As for languages close to English, I'd say that Scots and (West) Frisian are significantly closer to English than Dutch is, overall.
Fredrik from Norway   Sunday, March 06, 2005, 23:27 GMT
pole under the french = poll among the French
!
Sander   Monday, March 07, 2005, 15:15 GMT
Fredrik from Norway,

=>pole under the french = poll among the French !<=

Ofcourse.....Its just to my it sounded logical.How do you say it in Norwegian "among" or "under" ???

Travis,

=>Heh, I myself, as a native English speaker and a German student, find Dutch to be much closer to German than it is to English overall. Grammatically and vocabulary-wise, Dutch seems much more like German that it seems like English. As for languages close to English, I'd say that Scots and (West) Frisian are significantly closer to English than Dutch is, overall.<=

I agree a lot of people say that dutch is closer to english than to german (this is,for the record, not true).Their main argument is that written dutch looks more to english,this is true ,dutch looks more "english" thatn "german" (though dutch is older than english) but the pronounciation (?) is really more to the german side.

A Question to you all....

The English word "fever",
is translated in german as "Fieber"
But in Dutch as "koorts"
How do you translate it in your (germanic,ofcours)language.
Travis   Monday, March 07, 2005, 17:57 GMT
The thing about that is that that's just a matter of orthography, rather than the underlying language itself. Heck, I can make English look like Dutch if I want right here:

Hier iz aen egzaempyl av hau Ingglisj wud luk, haed it aen oorthaagrafi witj waz beest moor of Datj oorthograafi, aez tjeendjd tu fit dha niedz av Amerikkin Ingglisj. Jet dhis meeks Ingglisj no klosyr noor no fyrdhyr fram Datj ovyrol aez a leenggwidj aez a hool, aez dhis is fandamentali kaazmettik with reggaard tu Ingglisj.
!   Monday, March 07, 2005, 18:04 GMT
That doesn't look like dutch AT ALL !
Jo   Monday, March 07, 2005, 18:05 GMT
Hold a pole under the French.

Double Dutch at its best