English, German, & Dutch

12345   Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:50 pm GMT
ggg, you should come to Groningen then, especially the countryside ;)! It's not dead to my opinion. I agree people speak more and more like Dutch with the 'typical' accent, but it isn't dead yet. We still have 'du' for 'you'.

Did you do that?
Hast du das gemacht?
Heb jij dat gedaan?
Hes'du dot doan?

The bicycle
Das Rad
De fiets
De kroder

And we have an other construction of sentences.
The participium perfectum should always be at the end of a sentence.

But well, again I agree words are disappearing, like the word 'scheuveln' ->schaatsen-> ice skating is disappearing. But maybe once Grunnings will revive just like the Frisian language.
12345   Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:00 am GMT
Just some more examples:

Your house
Dein Haus
Jouw huis
Dien huus, (some say 'hoes' (english spoken: hoos))

Your car (plural)
Euern Auto
Jullie auto
Jim auto (J the same like the dutch one in 'jouw' or 'jullie')

One of the newer words we have is spaigelploatje, which is a compact disc.
ggg   Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:44 pm GMT
@Leasnam

I got my facts straight. Where are yours?

Low German is dead. It died after the fall of the Hanseatic League and mass education in German. Only a few old people speak it.

There exist 2 varieties today. High German with a Low German accent and Dutch with a Low German accent.

A good example of how divided 'Low German' is today. Wikipedia started with a single 'Low German' project. It proved unworkable; and now there are two. One in Dutch Low Saxon, and one in German Low Saxon. That's the reality.

http://nds.wikipedia.org/
http://nds-nl.wikipedia.org/
Observer   Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:16 pm GMT
<<Low German is dead. It died after the fall of the Hanseatic League and mass education in German. Only a few old people speak it.
>>

The fact that there exists a site in Wikipedia is proof that the 2 low German varieties are not dead.

You contradict yourself within your own statement: "Low German is dead" and "Only a few old people speak it"
Travis   Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:36 pm GMT
And one thing that should be remembered is that Low Saxon (which is the term I prefer, as Low German is a more general term also including Low Franconian) already has a relatively wide range of dialects to matter what; it should not be surprising that it is hard to use a single standard or even just orthography for all of Low Saxon. However, though, it just happens that, due to the presence of national borders dividing the range of Low Saxon, the typical manner in which most non-linguists end up dividing Low Saxon as a whole is along national borders (aside from some varieties of it which are rather standalone entities unto themselves, such as Plautdietsch).
ggg   Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:28 pm GMT
Low German is dead. It died after the fall of the Hanseatic League and mass education in German. Only a few old people speak it.

There exist 2 varieties today. High German with a Low German accent and Dutch with a Low German accent.

A good example of how divided 'Low German' is today. Wikipedia started with a single 'Low German' project. It proved unworkable; and now there are two. One in Dutch Low Saxon, and one in German Low Saxon. That's the reality.

http://nds.wikipedia.org/
http://nds-nl.wikipedia.org/
user   Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:48 pm GMT
ggg sound just like Sander!
user   Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:49 pm GMT
* sounds
eastlander   Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:07 pm GMT
Example of Middle Low German (Hanseatic language or Middle Low Saxon),based on Luebeck dialect:
"Dit is de vrede,den de koningh van Denemarken unde de mester van Liflande hebbet ghemaket unde ludet in aldusdanighen worden.."
It's seems closely related to Dutch.
Leasnam   Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:28 pm GMT
<<hebbet ghemaket >>

One interesting feature of Low Saxon, which it shares with English, Frisian, and the Scandinavian languages is the abandonment of the old germanic perfective/collective prefix "ge-" seen here as "ghe-", preserved in Hochdeutsch and Dutch

'ik heff/hebb maakt' for "I have made"
12345   Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:05 am GMT
«
One interesting feature of Low Saxon, which it shares with English, Frisian, and the Scandinavian languages is the abandonment of the old germanic perfective/collective prefix "ge-" seen here as "ghe-", preserved in Hochdeutsch and Dutch

'ik heff/hebb maakt' for "I have made" »

Like I have shown:
Did you do that? -English
Hast du das gemacht? -German
Heb jij dat gedaan? -Dutch
Hes'du dot doan? -My dialect (western Groningen near Frylân border) (Low Saxon)

You have walked
Du hast geläuft
Jij hebt gelopen
Du hest loop'n.

But another one:
Words with 'ver' as perfective/collective don't miss this.
You have lost
Du hast verloren
Jij hebt verloren
Du hest verloor'n

Hmm, I still have a question now. I know my Dutch teacher has explained this to me, but I've forgotten.
Why some words that start with 'ver' end on '-en', and others on 'd'.

///
Hmm, I suddenly remember it had something to do with irregularity.
Let's see..
Verliezen verloor verloren - irregular
Ik verlies, verloor, heb verloren/ben verloren
Jij verliest, verloor, hebt verloren/bent verloren
Hij/Zij/Het verliest, verloor, heeft verloren/is verloren
Wij/jullie verliezen, verloren, hebben verloren/zijn verloren
U verliest, verloor, heeft verloren/bent verloren

Verenigen verenigde verenigd - regular
Ik verenig, verenigde, heb verenigd
Jij verenigt, verenigde, hebt verenigd
Hij/zij/het verenigt, verenigde, heeft verenigd
Wij/jullie verenigen, verenigden, hebben verenigd
U verenigt, verenigde, heeft verenigd

And this is the verb why I remembered it had to do with irregularity. -->>
Verstoten, verstootte, verstoten
Ik verstoot, verstootte, ben verstoten
Jij verstoot, verstootte, bent verstoten
etc

Because this verb ends on '-en' and starts with 'ver' it was an irregular verb in the past. Which was in the past like this:
Verstoten, verstiet, verstieten
Ik verstoot, verstiet, ben verstieten

And where do we see this as well?
German!
Verstoßen, verstieß, verstießen.

Sorry for this long message :$
12345   Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:20 am GMT
Hmm...
I see in German it's Verstoßen, verstieß, verstoßen.
Sorry for the misconception, I thought my teacher said it was verstoten, verstiet, verstieten...
eastlander   Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 pm GMT
We can find many placenames in North Germany( Lower Saxony,Northrhine-Westphalia, Schleswig -Holstein) that seems (in written form) like english :Overwater,Moorfleet,Billbrook,Moorbrook, Westermoor ,Quickborn ,Herford,Bornbrook ;or Dutch: Blankenwater,,Selkenrade,Martensrade,,Bosseerschoor,Dosenrade,Steinrade,,Bokel,Westerkamp,Braak,Laaken,Willingrade,Trappenkamp,Kortendorp Hakenkamp,Burenboom,Melschede and so on.
Karin   Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:08 pm GMT
>>One interesting feature of Low Saxon, which it shares with English, Frisian, and the Scandinavian languages is the abandonment of the old germanic perfective/collective prefix "ge-" seen here as "ghe-", preserved in Hochdeutsch and Dutch<<

true, Standard German and Dutch still preserve this feature. In my German dialect (Rhine Franconian), though, are two examples where the prefix "ge-" is also lost:

"Ich bin komm" instead of "Ich bin gekommen"

"Ich bin gang" instead of "Ich bin gegangen"
Travis   Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:45 pm GMT
>>One interesting feature of Low Saxon, which it shares with English, Frisian, and the Scandinavian languages is the abandonment of the old germanic perfective/collective prefix "ge-" seen here as "ghe-", preserved in Hochdeutsch and Dutch<<

Actually, this is not really true for Low Saxon as a whole. Such *is* true for Northern Low Saxon, which is the best-known variety of Low Saxon in at least Germany, but such is not actually applicable for Low Saxon as a whole (as there are other dialect groups of Low Saxon which still preserve "ge-" in one fashion or another).