What accent do you really hate? and which one you love?

OG Vato Loco   Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:02 pm GMT
My fav accents would be east-coast gangsta accent, westcoast is OK but kind of sloppy and not as "dont fuck with me"-sounding. Also south California mexicans' accent owns, so funny and cool to listen to. Jamaican would be the closest runner-up though, fascinating to listen to and calming when sung in classical reggae (tho modern shizzle is cool too).

I, of course, have mastered the first two, being of mixed black and mexican descent, but the jamaican one is hard cause I've had little to no exposure to besides on the reggae radio station.
(same guy as above)   Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:04 pm GMT
Accents I hate: redneck/hick accent, canadian accent, some "i think i own you"-sounding british accents. Mafia-ish/urban but not gangsta New York accent is annoying.
russell   Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:25 pm GMT
north east accent beats any in england, americans would not understand it!!
smoggy   Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:26 pm GMT
geodie, mackkem, and teeside accents are th best!! big up the north east of england, we hate londoners!!! soft as shit!!!
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:43 pm GMT
One of my choices for uni was in Newcastle and I went there for an interview (staying the night) and I loved hearing the Geordie accent all around, although I was fairly familiar with it as a lot of Geordies come up to Edinburgh for days out and on trips. I like the way their sentences all seem to end on a high note!

The Tyneside Metro is fantastic. I asked this copper on one of the metro stations (the one near the Grey Monument) for some help (ulterior motive but no matter) and his Geordie accent was out of this world.
Cassie   Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:10 am GMT
American! American accent sounds really cool. As I know, many people in non-Englishspeaking countries are trying to learn American English just because they think American accent sounds sexy and great.
Lily   Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:31 am GMT
Which accent is more sexy out of American, English and Aussie?
Baumgartner   Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:31 pm GMT
German is the best
Dhuiran   Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:55 pm GMT
I like Cockney, Irish, Scottish, Canadian/Midwestern/New England (they're not the same but they same similar. I personally dislike California (gay) and Boston (rustic) and alabama (crude) accents.
Guest   Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:41 am GMT
Im American. I think Irish accents are the sexiest but English is a close second. I know its pathetic, but I completely melt for Irish accents. Thats a tip for Irish guys coming to America ;)

However, my friend who visited Northern Ireland said they thought she spoke too slowly. So I get the feeling the Irish dont enjoy American accents nearly as much as Americans may enjoy Irish accents.
james brittle   Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:38 am GMT
well am from scotland and i think, well i no we scots have one of the best accents in the world but i do like the american accent and the irish and the french and sadly to say the german accent but the english accent!!!!hmm!! well i watched eastenders once and, oh my god!!!!!!! i have never heard such bad and the worst accent in my life!!!!, they english should get a grip with they're accents, its so terrible, i couldn't understand one bit of a word coming from there mouth!, i think they need a speech therapy lol because their accent is totally f@%ked, they embarass us scots and we are nothing like them so why should we be part of them?, i think the english are not of this world they speak a totally different accent from everyone else, man they're accent is so weird how can anyone understand it? its so BAD BIG TIME!!!!!!!! get rid of the english accent all together!! you's have the WORST ACCENT in the world, a seriously don't think anybody around the world can understand you's english, so get a grip of your accents england because you's need a NEW and understandable accent like us scots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Candy   Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:49 am GMT
Jeez, James, why don't you get a few more exclamation marks in there? The accent on 'Eastenders' is NOT *the* English accent - there are 1000s and that's just one of them. By the way, it's 'their accent' not 'they're accent'. 'They're' is the contraction of 'they are'.

<<i think the english are not of this world >>

DAMN DAMN DAMN!!! Someone has discovered our secret! We're all aliens! OK, now you know, I'll have to kill you by sending lethal fumes through your PC.
April   Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:46 pm GMT
My favorite accents? I would have to say Irish, British, and the subtle Texas drawl. I shall explain.

I think Irish is very pleasant to the ear. Sounds kind of lyrical. (I know I must sound like a GEEK.)

British because at times it just sounds sophisticated.

A subtle Texas drawl. I've noticed (and been told by a couple of native Texans) that they tend to talk a bit more slower than usual. It's nice to hear when you're used to people talking about a million words per second. (I'm a native Californian and yes, a LOT of people talk fast here.)

Not so favorite accents? Hmm. I don't really know. I think every accent is different and unique in their own way. They're all very interesting.
Guest   Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:53 pm GMT
"Im American. I think Irish accents are the sexiest but English is a close second. I know its pathetic, but I completely melt for Irish accents. Thats a tip for Irish guys coming to America ;)"

Give me the directions to your house and I'll catch the next flight from Dublin tomorrow morning.
Guest   Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:05 pm GMT
Way to hit on her!