What accent do you really hate? and which one you love?

Paul   Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:38 am GMT
I hate to say it but Brazilian Portuguese sounds awful. It's sounds like a gargled unintelligible mess.
Adam   Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:03 pm GMT
Just like Welsh.
Damian in Scotland   Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:12 pm GMT
***Just like Welsh***

Spoken like a truly ignorant Sassenach...one who is fearful and trembles at the mere thought of Celtic cultural and linguistic superiority. The Welsh Language was in existence and widely spoken in Ancient Britain long before the first word of Anglo Saxon pre English was ever coined. In fact, Welsh was spoken all over the verdant pastures of what is now called England long before the series of invasions of these islands over the centuries, starting with Julius Caesar and the Romans in 55/54BC.

Welsh has a construction pattern similar to some Continental Languages and a system of pronunciation which is far and away too complex and difficult for the Sassenach tongue to get round, so in frustration and resentment Sassenachs like our wee friend Adam here resort to cheap jibes such as that shown in this last message of his. The resentment stems mainly from the fact that Welsh still survives in spite of the presence of Great God England to the east and continual attempts over the centuries to kill off a Language which they see as alien and "unnecessary". This is stupid, because strictly speaking it's Welsh that has more right to exist in Britain than does English.....it's English which is the true alien in a sense, even if English did evolve in what was later to become an England in a former Brythonic territory.

So Adam....shut it.
Guest   Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:58 pm GMT
I hate the Bolton accent. IMO they sound like urban scumbags.
Lauren   Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:12 pm GMT
I Hate the cockney accent its Too common but the Accent To die for is the brummie accent they speak and the best accent comes out of the definately the best!
Karyoka   Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:40 am GMT
I hate Continental Portuguese. Is sounds harsh and I cannot understand a thing.
Franco   Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:42 am GMT
I hate the southern United States accent. They sound sickening and revolting. They sound like the country bumpkins religious extremists which they are.'

I like British and NEw Zealand accents. Pretty!
Pete   Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:17 am GMT
<<Spoken like a truly ignorant Sassenach>>

What in the world is a 'Sassenach'?? can you make that clear for me, plz?

<<the Accent To die for is the brummie accent they speak and the best accent comes out of the definately the best!>>

Are you serious about that. I mean, almost everybody detests Brummie. Why do you like it?
andre in usa   Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:19 am GMT
I like Brummie. It's interesting.
The Man In The Bowler Hat   Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:41 am GMT
Can't stand the stock standard Kath and Kim Australian accent - it's very nasal. My dear old mum has it. Most of my family, most of my neighbours, and most of the people I go to school with have it to a terrible degree.

I spoke relatively well as a child, but I've conciously adopted RP because I live in a very working class area - daubed in Swastikas and 'gangsta' grafitti - where it's absolutely despised, and there's nothing I love more than picking fights with my fellow plebs (I carry a nozh in my pocket for this purpose, but the millicents don't search me like they do the other malchicks because I dress and speak like a fop)

I love Scottish accents - it's almost a fettish.

There's a English regional accent I'm quite keen on - last heard it spoken heavily by a bass-player named 'House of Lords' from Ashby-de-la-zouch in Oxford. I'd like to pick that up, I can pretend I'm a migrant.
JJM   Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:32 pm GMT
"So Adam....shut it."

Huh?

Since the topic of this thread ("What accent do you really hate? and which one you love?") was clearly designed to illicit purely subjective responses, that's exactly what Adam provided.

Likewise, Paul stated that he felt "Brazilian Portuguese sounds awful. It's [sic] sounds like a gargled unintelligible mess."

Objectively speaking, this remark has no linguistic value: there is no rational scientific basis for stating one language "sounds" any better or worse than another; it's simply Paul's honest opinion, likely based simply on what "sounds" pleasant to him.
Damian in Scotland   Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:39 pm GMT
***"So Adam....shut it."

Huh?

Since the topic of this thread ("What accent do you really hate? and which one you love?") was clearly designed to illicit purely subjective responses, that's exactly what Adam provided***

No he didn't......what Adam did in his own inimitable way was to denigrate the Welsh Language.

As in:

***Paul Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:38 am GMT
Brazilian Portuguese sounds awful. It's sounds like a gargled unintelligible mess.
Adam Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:03 pm GMT
Just like Welsh ***

He was not really referrring to any accent at all....an accent in this case would have been English being spoken in a Welsh accent. What he was doing is exactly what so many of his fellow Sassenachs (that's English people to those who don't know) delight in doing.......trashing and dissing Welsh ....a Celtic Language which they resent simply because it still exists and has stood firm against the English tide over the centuries ...and they haven't a hope in hell of getting their tongues round.....or more likely, never intend to.
Guest   Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:05 am GMT
Cant we all just get along?

I understand if some one is offended by some one else's response but, afterall, this IS a forum for opinions...not everyone is going to agree. I've read many of the posts and my accent has been insulted but I know not everyone feels the same way.

Lets try to keep this a friendly forum! :)
Franco   Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:11 am GMT
Guest, your accent sucks! LOL :D
JJM   Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:45 am GMT
"[T]rashing and dissing Welsh."

Yes, but unfortunately, the very title of this particular thread encourages just such responses.

That was my point.