What accent do you really hate? and which one you love?

Damian   Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:06 pm GMT
Perhaps James meant "out of this world" rather than "not of this world"....there's a world of difference between the two.

James......Glasgow? :-)
kerry   Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:35 pm GMT
irish nd geordie ave gotta b da best lyk
Guest   Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:32 pm GMT
cavan
Damian   Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:07 pm GMT
This afternoon of Thursday 02 February 2006 a baby boy was born in a maternity hospital in Warwick, England, not far away from William Shakespeare's home town of Stratford upon Avon. He has been named George Ray Scott, and what makes him "special" is that he is officially the 60 millionth Briton. In other words, his birth this afternoon officially brought the UK's population to exactly 60,000,000. No doubt that figure has since been exceeded by more births across the country. I don't know how they determine this figure to be honest, as deaths will cancel things out a wee bit, but as the overall population is slowly increasing naturally I reckon that that's how they arrive at wee George being Brit No 60 million.

It said on the TV news that the population of the UK in 1945 was 48.7million, so on that basis I reckon I was about the 55.9 millionth Brit when I was born.

As to wee Georgie's future accent.....it will be a sort of Midlands accent but not a Birmingham one as Warwick is a wee bit south of Brummieland. My guess is a mix of rural South Midlands with a tad of Estuary perhaps...unless he ends up with a bland RP....on the other hand he could move up to Scotland next month with his mum and dad and end up speaking the best accent of all. Circumstances will prevail, as with everything in life.
Adam   Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:41 am GMT
That's rubbish that. I remember reading about 5 months ago that the UK population is 60.4 million so, according to some people, it exceeded 60 million months ago.

But, whatever it is, there are an awful lot of people living on these islands.
Adam   Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:43 am GMT
England's population is about 7 times the COMBINED population of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

It's amazing.
Adam   Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:46 am GMT
And to show how crowded the place is, by coincidence the UK is 60 million acres in size, with a population of about 60 million.

So that works out at about 1 person per acre.

But we aren't as crowded as Holland, which has only 15 million people.
Adam   Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:48 am GMT
According to YouGov, the UK population reached 60 million in about June 2005. So we must be nearing over 61 million by now. By 2031, the population should be around almost 66 million.

...The population of the UK is estimated to reach 60 million next month and is still growing, by more than 200,000 a year. UK population has increased by a fifth since 1950. The impacts of this growth are already clear, especially in the relentless pressures for development on our finite supply of land. UK population has grown sixfold since 1800 and 60 per cent since 1900. UK population growth is now spiralling out of control - officially projected to rise by 0.35 per cent a year to reach 65.7 million by 2031 - an increase of 6.1 million. Population growth in the UK has reached near-record levels, yet no political party has a policy aimed at stabilising and reducing today's unsustainable numbers...

Three out of four people believe that Britain is overcrowded (YouGov poll, 4 April 2004).
Adam   Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:50 am GMT
"Population growth in the UK has reached near-record levels, yet no political party has a policy aimed at stabilising and reducing today's unsustainable numbers... "

Even though many people are saying that our population is growing very quickly.
Candy   Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:03 am GMT
<<England's population is about 7 times the COMBINED population of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

It's amazing. >>

????
The only amazing thing is how overcrowded England is! ;)
Adam   Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:06 am GMT
Population Estimates
UK population approaches 60 million

Population: by gender and age, mid-2004

In mid-2004 the UK was home to 59.8 million people, of which 50.1 million lived in England. The average age was 38.6 years, an increase on 1971 when it was 34.1 years. In mid-2004 approximately one in five people in the UK were aged under 16 and one in six people were aged 65 or over.

The UK has a growing population. It grew by 280,600 people in the year to mid-2004, and the average growth per year has been 0.4 per cent since mid-2001. The UK population increased by 7.0 per cent since 1971, from 55.9 million. Growth has been faster in more recent years. Between mid-1991 and mid-2003 the population grew by an annual rate of 0.3 per cent.

The mid-2004 population of the constituent countries of the United Kingdom is estimated as follows:

England - 50, 093, 100.............83.7%
Scotland - 5, 078, 400..............8.5%
Wales - 2, 952, 500..................4.9%
N.I - 1, 710, 300.......................2.9%

UK - 59, 834, 300

The UK has an ageing population. This is the result of declines both in fertility rates and in the mortality rate. This has led to a declining proportion of the population aged under 16 and an increasing proportion aged 65 and over.

In every year since 1901, with the exception of 1976, there have been more births than deaths in the UK and the population has grown due to natural change. Until the mid-1990s, this natural increase was the main driver of population growth. Since the late 1990s, although there has still been natural increase, net international migration into the UK from abroad has been an increasingly important factor in population change.

statistics.gov.uk
Adam   Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:07 am GMT
"The only amazing thing is how overcrowded England is"

Yeah, it is overcrowded, but I'd rather have a large population than a small population. It makes a country strong.

I mean, if you have a population of only 3 million such as New Zealand, you aren't very influential in the world.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:28 am GMT
Adam: Actually you are right....the report I saw on Sky yesterday regarding that baby in England being the 60 millionth Briton was later contradicted by the UK Office of Population and Statistics. The population of the UK actually passed the 60 million mark in the middle of 2005, just as you say.

This is a crowded island, but even with a very urbanised country, with large cities just a few miles apart, there are still some wild and remote and very rural areas, even close to some of those cities, which is nice. Beautiful rural countryside is less than half an hour away on a train from Central London for example. Go up to the top of either Calton Hill or Arthur''s seat here in Central Edinburgh and you can see spectacular scenery all around, as well as fabulous views over the Firth and over to the Ochil Hills and coastline in Fife.

In 16th century Stuart times when James VIwas on the throne of Scotland and Elizabeth I on the throne of England the combined population of both countries (and little Wales as well I reckon) was less than 6 million. Some population copulation has been going on since then.
Adam   Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:33 pm GMT
According to the Daily Reciord, Britain's 60 millionth baby was born in Gloucestershire and his name is Decland Tonks.

3 February 2006

DECLAN IS A BRIT SPECIAL

He is citizen 60million

By Mark Mcgivern

LITTLE Declan Tonks claimed a place in history when he entered the world - as Britain's 60millionth citizen.

The 9lb 2oz tot was born at 12.04pm on Wednesday. Experts had predicted the UK's population would pass 60 million at midday.

Proud mum Paula, 32, who gave birth by Caesarean section a week early, was unaware of how significant the birth was.

She said: "It's all come as a bit of a shock. It hasn't sunk in just yet because we didn't know anything about this until he was born.

"It is exciting to know he could be even more special."

Paula's husband John, 36, a print worker of Lydney, Gloucestershire, added: "Declan's special to me anyway but this is just fantastic."

The UK's population has grown steadily since the 1970s total of 50million, thanks to better living standards and medical advances.

According to the Office for National Statistics, the last decade has seen a rapid rise because of net immigration - more people coming into the country than leaving it.

Statistician and European population expert Professor Michael Nantwich calculated that Britain's population would reach 60million at midday on Wednesday.

Shop assistant Paula gave birth four minutes later at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital. The birth is thought to be the closest in the UK to midday.

Prof Nantwich, of Bordeaux University in France, said death rates in the UK are falling by around one per cent a year.

He added: "That represents 50,000 to 100,0000 people who might, in earlier decades, have lost their lives because diet, preventive health care or medical techniques weren't so sophisticated.

"The average age in Britain has risen in the last few years to 38 or 39, which means an increasingly ageing population being supported by an ever-smaller working population.

"It is difficult to say how many people is too many for Britain."

The Office for National Statistics predict the UK's population will rise by another 10million in 60 years.

Latest figures for Scotland show that births are at their highest level for six years, indicating that the population total is on the rise after years of decline.

dailyrecord.co.uk
Adam   Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:36 pm GMT
"This is a crowded island, but even with a very urbanised country, with large cities just a few miles apart, there are still some wild and remote and very rural areas, even close to some of those cities, which is nice. Beautiful rural countryside is less than half an hour away on a train from Central London for example. Go up to the top of either Calton Hill or Arthur''s seat here in Central Edinburgh and you can see spectacular scenery all around, as well as fabulous views over the Firth and over to the Ochil Hills and coastline in Fife. "

Britain isn't as crowded as people assume. Britain was the world's first urbanised nation, and is the most urbanised nation in the world not including city states such as Singapore. That means that there is a smaller % of our population living outside of towns and cities than in most other countries. So everyone is clumped together in the cities, givving us a lot of countryside to enjoy.