English People...

Cassie   Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:06 am GMT
English accent is very hard to understand!
Alice   Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:35 am GMT
I like American,Beacuse they are very Kindly in our company .
Guest   Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:47 am GMT
<I like American,Beacuse they are very Kindly in our company .>

They are very kind as well in Iraq !
Gjones2   Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:20 am GMT
Anonymous Guest, the war in Iraq is expressly listed in the forum faq as being inappropriate for this forum. It was not kind of you to bring it up (no matter how much you may believe that helping the Iraqis become free is a sign of kindness).
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:42 am GMT
The English Language is truly amazing.....I love it to bits...so much so, that I insist on speaking it each and every day to the exclusion of all others for ordinary day to day communication, whether verbal or written, electronic or otherwise. It's something I have no control over. What's more...all my friends feel the same way and we have this unwritten mutual agreement to speak only English. Anyone know what Hobson's choice means?
Adam   Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:33 am GMT
Is it because English is the ONLY language that you have learnt to speak?

It must be awful for a Scot to have to speak the language of their large neighbour to the South. It's almost like every Englishman speaking Scots Gaelic and English is spoken by only a million or so English people.
Gjones2   Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:18 am GMT
I can't contribute much to the earlier topic about how reserved or talkative the English are. I've had little personal contact with them. I visited London for a few days, but most of what I know about them -– or think I know -- comes from books or movies. I did strike up an acquaintance with a few in a boarding house in Madrid. They weren't at all reserved (they may have been more outgoing than is typical -- they were hitch-hikers).

I had some conversations with a German at that same boarding house. He was friendly too. Another instance of a German being friendly took place when I was in Frankfort and was standing on the sidewalk looking at a map -- and looking confused, I suppose. A German came up to me and asked if he could help me find something. That happened over twenty years ago. Tourists remember that sort of thing. Also I recall a conversation with a Spanish "guest" worker there. He thought I was a German and asked me something. We ended up talking in Spanish.

As for whether being reserved or talkative is a good thing, my own view is that we should steer a middle course. If people really wish to keep their distance, they do have a right to privacy. In many situations, though, I see nothing wrong with starting a conversation. If the other person's responses indicate politeness but no real interest in continuing, then that's the time to quit. Only a few moments of the other person's time will have been wasted, and I don't think that's much of an imposition. On the other hand, if we avoid talking to people, we'll miss out on many things. Here in the United States I talk to strangers often -- about 90% of the time with favorable results. I don't recall any extremely unfavorable ones. (Of course, I avoid talking to anybody who acts in a bizarre way -- except, occasionally, when I talk to myself.)
Damian in Scotland   Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:42 am GMT
I hate talking to myself....I invariably get stupid replies.

Yes, Adam...we do bow down to the superiority of our Great Southern Neighbour which is why we all speak your Language. We have to keep on the right side of you because of all the wonderful Government money you chuck our way. Outside of that ...you can all get (BLEEPED).... LOL

btw Adam...just how multilingual are you, as a Sassenach?
Damian in Scotland   Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:49 am GMT
Friendliness and openness and lack of reserve in the United Kingdom is not confined to hitchhikers. As I've said before, reserve and reticence is no longer a silly British characteristic...certainly it isn't. It never has been for the Scots anyway, and from experience, take it from me...it no longer is for the English either, certainly those of the younger variety. Maybe for some genteel old ladies in genteel olde worlde teashops, but that's about all. This is the 21st century, big time.
Gjones2   Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:02 am GMT
>Friendliness and openness and lack of reserve in the United Kingdom is not confined to hitchhikers. [Damian of Scotland]

I'll take your word for it. I have almost no experience of how things are now.
Candy   Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:43 am GMT
<<English accent is very hard to understand!>>

That's a meaningless statement. There are 100s (or more likely 1000s) of English accents.
Benjamin   Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:26 pm GMT
>>It's almost like every Englishman speaking Scots Gaelic and English is spoken by only a million or so English people.<<

FYI, Scottish-Gaelic is arguably a regional language even within Scotland itself.
Guest   Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:31 am GMT
<As I've said before, reserve and reticence is no longer a silly British characteristic>

Something I wished we Americans have abit. Some of us are just loud mouthed idiots LOL. Seriously I came across some 'Ugly Americans' while visiting Rome. Jeez I even considered if asked where I was from I would pretend I was Canadian from some typical Canuck city such as Windsor.

I bet some Americans agree with me. Some of our fellow Americans can but abit too open and loud mouthed. ;)
Guest   Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:35 am GMT
Back to the British - They have the most interesting drinking games and pub songs. I quite enjoyed singing 'God Save the Queen' with a couple of British tourists at a British pub in Rome though I as an American would be probably be charged with treason. ;P
Damian in Scotland   Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:59 am GMT
Guest: As an American you could always pretend that you were singing "My Country t'is of Thee! Sweet Land of Liberty!" The words may be different but the tune's the same! You simply got them confused.....as simple as that....... :-)