French VS Italian

Tiffany   Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:14 pm GMT
This is how I would translate it into Italian:

La figlia del tuo dominatore tenta/cerca/prova ogni notte di/di/a fare un libro pieno delle statue con dieci capi/teste.

Although the rest of your translations don't have "to try" taking a preposition, it doesn't sound correct to me in Italian without it (in questo caso "di" con tentare e cercare o "a" con provare). SPQR, have you a better idea? I also denoted alternate word choices with slashes.
S.P.Q.R   Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:59 pm GMT
To Aldo:
I agree with you , sardinia, italian and spanish are the closest living languages to latin.
Translation:
La figlia del tuo domino\signore\padrone (pick one of this choice altough i like best domino) tenta ogni notte di fare un libro con dieci capi.
>>>Illa filia de tuo domino tentat cata nocte facer uno libro pleno de statuas com dece capitiasZZIlla filia de tuo domino tentat cata nocte facer uno libro pleno de statuas com dece capitias>>> It would be in vulgar late latin: illa filia de tuo domino tentat onne nocte de fare uno libro pleno de statuas com decem capite.
S.P.Q.R   Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:10 pm GMT
The above post was from me
Aldo   Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:16 pm GMT
Thanks for the correction, S.P.Q.R.

Illa filia de tuo domino tentat onne nocte de fare uno libro pleno de statuas com decem capite
(late vulgar latin)

Late vulgar latin is very similar or identical to Italian.

La figlia del tuo domino tenta ogni notte di fare un libro con dieci capi.
(Italian) (why did Italian "render" pieno in this sentance?)

-\signore\padrone (pick one of this choice altough i like best domino)

Spanish;

Señor/patron(o)

Classical Latin;

Senior/patronus

I agree with you , sardinia, italian and spanish are the closest living languages to latin. "Ne plus ultra."
Tiffany   Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:45 pm GMT
SPQR forgot that part that part. Taking his/her sentence and merging it with mine it is:

La figlia del tuo domino tenta ogni notte di fare un libro pieno delle statue con dieci capi.

I'd like to add that my alternate words are valid, however you are trying to match the Italian phrase to Latin phrase therefore using the words the seem the closest. This is many times, but not all, contrary to common language - as in what people would say in everyday life.

For instance take "capi" - plural of "capo", I don't know many Italians who would choose "capo" to mean the physical head over "testa" as "capo" is used mostly as the equivalent to the English word "boss".

"Il mio capo è un bastardone" = "My boss is a big bastard" not "My head is a big bastard"

Of course, the phrase SPQR and I supplied is valid as capo does mean "head" (or even top) though it is not used that way most of the time in reality.
Sorin   Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:04 am GMT
Spanish, and Italian are indeed the closest to medieval latin, but not classical latin or vulgar latin. Medieval latin compared with classical latin is like comparing Polish with Russian. I agree with Italian and Spanish being the closest to medieval latin, in terms of vocabulary, and simplified grammar, also medieval latin at some point intermixed with Italian introducing cultism and many neologisms.

Spanish and Italian are not directly derived from Vulgar latin, and they didn’t inherit the vocabulary of Latin naturally. They were under a great influence from medieval latin. Remember the catholic inquisition that mutilated and reshaped western romance for 1000 years keeping every scientific text and cultural text in medieval Latin, How about that ?

In Italy, Spain, Portugal, Southern France, MEDIEVAL LATIN WAS IMPOSED BY THE INQUISITION FOR 700 YEARS. There was no natural development. The POPE told you , how to eat, how to SPEAK, how to pray, and how to think, even to this days ! And Medieval Latin is still spoken today in the Vatican PRISON.

Remember Roman Catholicism and the catholic inquisition is considered the Second Holocaust ! You BIMBO “latinos” should be grateful to FRANCE and NAPOLEON - The "liberator of Italy" that abolished the Laws of the holocaustic Catholic Inquisition, now retreated in the Vatican “prison”.
Luis Zalot   Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:29 am GMT
Now you changed your story from "Classical" only. To "classical and vulgar latin." You romanians.....are very wishy-washy.

Despite that, scholars and professors from universities say Spanish & Italian came from Vulgar latin; with expection of Classical-Latin qualities in various aspects within the languages. Respectively.

Romanian was always slavic or heavily influence by it or other languages, it never had latin until the roman empire and it re-introduced Latin BACK in the 19thcentury....I guess you guys are the followers. Due to the 19th century Romanian RE-INTRODUCED new words back into it's vocabulary: while delooting all traces of Slavic vocabulary,phonology etc. (although Romanian did perserved "SLAVIC" syntax and some phonology & words.) As shown and proven many times. They yearn to change their language from Slavic to Latin in the mid or late 19thcentury. (as showned in their poetry. Romanian BEFORE the 19th century was made up of "20-30%" of Latin influence, and even so they would 'only' use latin words as "academic words" or formal speaking.

Sorin, let it go.....seriously.

Romanian is the CLOSEST to the "declension" of Classical Latin. That's all
Sorin   Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:32 am GMT
Romanian>it re-introduced Latin BACK in the 19thcentury....<

Yes, and Spain, Italy, Portugal continuously RE-INTRODUCED MEDIEVAL LATIN words for a period of 700 YEARS! That is a long long time. These languages were forced and influenced by medieval latin , not patrimonial and latin derived.

It's really hard to deny and ignore the catholic inquisition, Isn’t it Luis Zalot ?

And remember,

You BIMBO “latinos” should be grateful to FRANCE and NAPOLEON - The "liberator of Italy" that abolished the Laws of the holocaustic Catholic Inquisition, now retreated in the Vatican “prison”.

you bimbOs go and worship the german pope ! ha ha ha !
Aldo   Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:47 am GMT
Sorin, your pathetic.
Aldo   Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:52 am GMT
Sorin, you still haven't answered my question;

On how you would translated "The daughter of your lord tries every night to make a book full of statues with ten heads." In romanian.
Your not very wise nor intellect, just foolish.

The truth is that "people" view Italian,Sardinian & Spanish as direct decendants of Classical Latin.

When people think* Romanian, they think "Dracula." Or some illusion country.
Sorin   Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:00 am GMT
And remember Spanish, Italian and Portuguese languages were shity SECOND CLASS languages for 700 years , as only MEDIEVAL LATIN was the cultural language, for science art and religion.

For about 700 YEARS - If someone attempted to translate something from MEDIEVAL LATIN into Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. THEY WERE KILLED AND TORTURED by the CATHOLICS

The FRENCH via NAPOLEON gave you the freedom to speak and write in Spanish, Italian and Portuguese- second class languages for 700 years.

Learn the history you silly kids, if you want to know about languages, not pamphlets. And you should worship the French who gave you the freedom, and not the German pope !
Aldo   Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:11 am GMT
Sorin, your not responding to my message. Hence, your ignorant & foolish
Jr   Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:15 am GMT
Now you changed your story from "Classical" only. To "classical and vulgar latin." You romanians.....are very wishy-washy.

Despite that, scholars and professors from universities say Spanish & Italian came from Vulgar latin; with expection of Classical-Latin qualities in various aspects within the languages. Respectively.

Romanian was always slavic or heavily influence by it or other languages, it never had latin until the roman empire and it re-introduced Latin BACK in the 19thcentury....I guess you guys are the followers. Due to the 19th century Romanian RE-INTRODUCED new words back into it's vocabulary: while delooting all traces of Slavic vocabulary,phonology etc. (although Romanian did perserved "SLAVIC" syntax and some phonology & words.) As shown and proven many times. They yearn to change their language from Slavic to Latin in the mid or late 19thcentury. (as showned in their poetry. Romanian BEFORE the 19th century was made up of "20-30%" of Latin influence, and even so they would 'only' use latin words as "academic words" or formal speaking.

Sorin, let it go.....seriously.

Romanian is the CLOSEST to the "declension" of Classical Latin. That's all

----------------------------------------------------------------------->>>>

Agreed.

Sorin, use to say "classical-latin" NOW she changes like a good romanian and says "Classical & Vulgar Latin." Pure Ignorance.
Sorin   Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:29 am GMT
>Sorin, you still haven't answered my question;
On how you would translated "The daughter of your lord tries every night to make a book full of statues with ten heads." In romanian.<

here you BOMBO

C.LATIN---- Filia domini.....tui ..omne nocte ..temptat ..facere librum plenum .statuarum cum decem capitibus
Romanian--Fica domnului tau orce noapte. temptata .face o libra ...plina de statuette ..cu ..zece ...capite

Spanish----La hija de tu dueño intenta cada noche hacer un libro pleno de estatuas con diez cabezas.
Italian------La figlia del tuo domino tenta ogni notte di fare un libro con dieci capi

Spanish and Italian compared with Classical latin look like Bantu language.
Everyone here can see how close Romanian is to classical Latin !

Chess mate !
Sorin   Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:30 am GMT
LAT-Filia domini tui omne nocte temptat facere librum plenum statuarum cum decem capitibus
ROM-Fica domnului tau in orce noapte temptata face o libra plina de statuette cu zece capite

again, you Bimbos !