Why is greek such a funny language?

Calliope   Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:57 pm GMT
The guest above was me.
Predrag   Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:22 pm GMT
Boban wrote:

"This is pure madness. You guys are trying to convince us that there are actually 3-4% of "real greeks" still living in Greece today. Everybody knows the simple fact that the "real greeks" were assimilated during centuries from other neighboring nations, but mostly during the horrible 500 years of Ottoman Empire rule. Guys, there are no greeks living in Greece now, just turks who speak greek. Why do you play the ignorant and act like you don't know? Greek language also is a mixture of the old greek with all the languages of neighboring languages, mostly turkish, but at the same time kept its old alphabet and structure. "

Dear Boban,

Dont get mad like some hot-headed balkanik nationalists in this discussion. No one is saying that there are any "real greeks" left in Greece today. Everyone here knows that and they are stating it here, but the thing is that maybe on those South-Western islands of Greece might be some traces of old greeks left because of their isolation from the continental territory of Greece. There would be interesting to focus our attention on greek language and culture, as for the rest of Greece is the same as in Turkey or Bulgaria. On these islands we would be able to see even if Africans' influxes have had a real impact on greek language and culture as well.

Dear Ion and Calliope,

Don't get mad or sad at how you look. Appearance has nothing to do with what kind of a person you are. You could look as mongolian if you want, and still we would love you and consider you part of Europe. There is nothing to be worried about. Ok, greeks look like arabs, so what? Who cares? We are all humans, no? You should have more self-respect and should ignore those paranoid thoughts that can surface from time to time in your minds. We are all Europeans and we love you no matter what, so be brave!

I am really proud to all of you who are participating and behaving in such a civilized way in this topic and being supportive at our greek brothers who seem to have a "little problem" with how they look.
Freddie   Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:39 pm GMT
C'mon guys, c'mon greek brothers! It's not that bad. Don't take it in the wrong way, it's just appearance!!! Nothing else! No one cares in the 21st century that you look like arabs or that you are turks who speak greek. It's all notions, names...we are all citizens of this world.

Greek language is a little funny though, no offense...but I love greek/turkish/albanian cuisine like everyone in this forum :-)
Calliope   Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:47 pm GMT
I actually love the way we look. Like I said, I have no problem with people thinking we look Arabic or Turkish or Chinese for that matter. But unless your genes are 100% of one thing, shut up about whether I have the right to call myself Greek or not. Now, if you don't understand what I am saying, you have a comprehension problem. Or you pretend that you do, anyway.

Freddie, I was the one who said I completely understand why Greek would sound funny to non-Greeks.
Ion   Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:31 am GMT
I know, I said that I won't intervene on this topic anymore but there is something which borders on absurd. Look at yourself:

Freddie said: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:39 pm GMT

"C'mon guys, c'mon Greek brothers! It's not that bad. Don't take it in the wrong way, it's just appearance!!! "

My comment to you Freddie: Thank you, you are so open minded! You are right, it could be worst!

Predrag Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:22 pm GMT

"Don't get mad or sad at how you look. Appearance has nothing to do with what kind of a person you are. You could look as Mongolian if you want, and still we would love you and consider you part of Europe".

My comment: Thank you Pedrag for your generosity allowing the Greek and maybe the Romanians as well to be part of Europe.

Don't forget that when your ancestors rode in this zone, it already has a name: Europe. The Greek took care about naming it to make sure that the Slavs, Germans, Huns and other primitive tribe troops won’t get lost in the African Dessert.

But I like more this: " you could look as Mongolian" (sic!)! What are you insinuating Predrag, that Mongolian are, how? What is behind you mind, my Serbian friend! But yes, I am the racist!

Marie Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:52 pm GMT
...Poor Sotiris...lol...it's a little funny to us, but I believe not to him...

My comment: Yes, you are right guys, I am offending you!

Dan Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:23 pm GMT

I think that Greeks look like Arabs more than any other European nation and I absolutely don't mean this as an insult. I just want people to know how a common Norwegian like me thinks about Greeks' appearance. But don't worry Greek brothers; we will still call you Europeans, no matter how you all look like because we love you all. And who cares if you are 1/2 Turks or 100% Turks who speak Greek, you already belong to Europe.

My comment: Just another act o generosity offered to the Greeks by our native Europeans. Dan, when this part of the world was called Europe, your ancestors where living in caves. I'm serious and please don't take it as an offence. It is just the truth which applies to the fellow Slavs and Huns as well. Then, don’t forget that in Europe, the Spaniards are caring the Arab genes in vanes and not the Greeks. Do the Spaniards look like the Arabs? If not, are you sure that you know how the Arabs look like?

Emmanuel Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:48 pm GMT

"I also think that Greeks look like Arabs but I don't consider myself any purist or racist or whatever names Calliope here referred to someone in a very offending manner. It is a simple perception that Greeks should not be paranoid or angry about. There is nothing wrong with looking like an Arab, what is wrong with you, are you racist?

Greek language is a very hard language to learn. I tried once to learn at least the basics, but gave up in a matter of days. Instead, I learned French and I'm pretty good at it right now. I like Greek Turkish food a lot :-) "

My comment: Emmanuel, the Arabs influenced the Spaniards more than everything else. I'm wondering how you find similarities between Greeks and Arabs as long as the Greeks don’t have anything to do with the Arabs. Are you trying to say that the Greeks are a Semitic nation? The lat question from the first paragraph, I assume it was for yourself because I don’t remember Calliope saying that she has something against the Arabs. You and yours theory supporters are abusing this term.

To learn Greek needs a lot of effort and good languages aptitudes. I think you really made a good choice learning French. It is smarter to limit your self to the Greek food only!

Now, you all try to make an effort and look at your postings; then decide: Who is offending whom? Who is provoking whom?

Before you move to the next attack, please answer these questions:

What is called HELLAS? What is ELLADA?
What do we understand by Hellenic nations? What are the Hellenic nations? How did the Hellenic nations appear? When?

Regards,
Ion

P.S. Speaking about inter nations/racial marriages: How many interracial marriages are you witnessing in Europe today, when the people are more open minded then ever? How much of these marriages have been consumed thousand years ago when the religions differences was playing such a significant role in people’s lives?

For your information, I want you to know that during the Ottomans, the Romanian women had cut a Cross on their forehead to show the Muslims that they are Christians, and not to be touched by them. It is very possible that the Greek women had taken similar measures. Maybe, there were some exceptions but in that time, they where under huge risk to be killed by their own people.
Sotiris   Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:34 am GMT
Who said that no one cares? I care, my brother cares, my cousins care...they are being stopped at the airports all the time because they look like...you know...I am greek!!! Greek!!! Do you understand? Greek and not....! Stop interrogating us!!! Ii is not our fault that our ancestors married arabs or turks...it's not our fault that we look the way we look...It is not enough to apologise afterwards for not knowing that we were greeks but we looked like arabs...do you understand? Stop using vinyl gloves on us...

Who said that greek is not beautiful. I am greek and I love greek...opaaaaa....greek language is beautiful and greek people are the best and the most intelligent in the whole world...opaaaaa...
Calliope   Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:00 am GMT
@Sotiris
Εμένα Σωτηράκη δε μου ακούγεσαι και πολύ Έλληνας, για να λέμε και του στραβού το δίκιο.
Hristo   Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:14 am GMT
Darius wrote:

"Well, it is true that greeks look more like they come from Asia Minor and not from any European country, but that doesn't neccessarily mean that most of them are turks who speak greek. Let's not forget that there has been movement of people from the shores of Northern Africa to greek islands and territories, so that must also be a factor why they have a darker skin than lets say italians who also have dark complectons, but look more European. It would be interesting to know how these influxes of Africans has influenced the greek language and the nameing of objects afterwards. I must agree that greek/turkish/albanian cuisine is superb... "

First of all, they look more like they come from Iraq or somewhere further, but this is not the theme of the discussion but it will be discussed in another topic, even though the African influence must be taken into account too. What is the influence of the Iraqi and Iranian languages in the todays' language that greeks speak? What is the connection between those African tribes settled in the Southern greek islands and Asia Minor populations in the shaping of the todays' spoken greek and at what degree has bulgarian, a very influential language in Balkans, has loaned its vocabulary into greek and vice versa? What is the influence that bulgarians in Macedonia and North-Eastern Greece and their spoken bulgarian dialect has influenced the greek language of today? Is this influx of bulgarians anyway connected to the influx of Africans from the South? These important questions need answers in order to understand that why to so many people or nationalities, greek language "sounds" kind of funny.

I must also add that it is not the tone of your skin that makes you human. Our greek friends should not get anxiety attacks when they see that they don't look like Slavics, Albanians, Spanish, Italians, Danish, Norwegians, French, or Germans, but look more like Arabs. There is nothing to be embarrased about. Your color of the skin is a little darker and that's all, you put some "light" over in Photoshop and that's it. No problem! It is more important to have a big heart and be open-minded, to respect everyone no matter how they look, starting with ourselves.

Even though to some greek is kind of funny, it is not funny to me, only extremely hard to deal with, and by the way it is very different from turkish...
Sotiris   Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:19 am GMT
..ok..ok :-(
Frida, Switzerland   Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:51 am GMT
Our greek friend Sotiris wrote:

"Who said that no one cares? I care, my brother cares, my cousins care...they are being stopped at the airports all the time because they look like...you know...I am greek!!! Greek!!! Do you understand? Greek and not....! Stop interrogating us!!! Ii is not our fault that our ancestors married arabs or turks...it's not our fault that we look the way we look...It is not enough to apologise afterwards for not knowing that we were greeks but we looked like arabs...do you understand? Stop using vinyl gloves on us...

Who said that greek is not beautiful. I am greek and I love greek...opaaaaa....greek language is beautiful and greek people are the best and the most intelligent in the whole world...opaaaaa... "

Guys! This is the saddest thing I have ever read in my whole life!!!
Ion   Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:03 am GMT
Hristo, Bulgarians are very important, of course! They taught the Greeks Katarevusa.

Sotiris, you are not Greek, you might be one and the same person with Marie. Are you able to translate what Calliope has written? I doubt!

I didn’t imagine that the people of this beautiful Ellada are so hated by their Slaves fellow. Learn the lesson Hellas, and continue to provide support for them, as you did during the Yugoslavian war!

Greece is one of the most beautiful Mediterranean countries and this is not only by its nature and location but by its warm and friendly people. Greece is one of our Paradise which Norway, Germany, Sweden, cannot live without it.

Greece existence is a privilege for the Balkan region; it is a chance for the whole Europe as it is for the whole world. Greece is our pride and it will always be like that.

Bless you and your people, dear Ellada!
Boris   Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:19 am GMT
"Greece is one of the most beautiful Mediterranean countries and this is not only by its nature and location but by its warm and friendly people. Greece is one of our Paradise which Norway, Germany, Sweden, cannot live without it.

Greece existence is a privilege for the Balkan region; it is a chance for the whole Europe as it is for the whole world. Greece is our pride and it will always be like that.

Bless you and your people, dear Ellada!"

Those were the words of Ion, the poet...the wind blew over his large forehead...his bronzed face stood strong as the ocean waves ruffled on the rocks...it's was the suicide time...yes...time had come for the hero to show who he was...and yes, there was no time for regrets...it was time to go...

*music played from a turkish (or greek) folk band is heard from the distance...aaaaaaaaand...SCENE!!!*

P.S: I love you all guys, but sometimes you take things personal and too serious. Life is to short to waste it being mad at things or people...
Boris   Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:21 am GMT
...and sorry, but greek language is kind of funny...no offense...
Mario   Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:39 am GMT
I like greek, turkish, iranian people. They look the same to me and they are all nice to dine with...a lot of dancing, singing...etc. Their food is almost identical and their customs too, so it is not hard for anyone to recognize them anywhere you go. If it's not turkish, it's greek, if it's not greek, it's iranian and so on...

I really don't know much about their languages, so don't want to make any mistakes. Greek language? Have no idea how it is and no plans to learn it anytime soon.

I didn't know that there were also Africans in the South of Greece too, and that is great news because it is one more thing for greeks to offer: Africa! Now in Greece! Beautiful!
Halim Bilal   Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:10 am GMT
Hristo wrote:

"... it is not the tone of your skin that makes you human. Our greek friends should not get anxiety attacks when they see that they don't look like Slavics, Albanians, Spanish, Italians, Danish, Norwegians, French, or Germans, but look more like Arabs. There is nothing to be embarrased about. Your color of the skin is a little darker and that's all, you put some "light" over in Photoshop and that's it. No problem! It is more important to have a big heart and be open-minded, to respect everyone no matter how they look, starting with ourselves."

I couldn't agree more. I think that every person in this forum agrees with Hristo. Halim Bilal is from Iraq and I think that it is a noble thing for anyone in this world to accept who they really are.

Dear greek brothers, I understand how you feel...don't worry my friend. If you were here I would give you a strong hug my brother...It is more important to be a good person, that is what should really bother you at this point, not the fact that you look like your arab brothers...

Besides, I felt very offended when you didn't like the fact that you looked like us...we are humans too...you know...?

Good luck, my greek arab brothers!