Future of the languages?

Sam   Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:30 am GMT
Hmm.., I think that :D is really a crazy French. He is intelligent. He tries to say that he is Hispanic and to attack Albanian and English language to obtain a battle between us.

In Spanish we say ¡Viva el castellano! and not Viva castellano! He is not Hispanic.

But these French aren´t so intelligent than us. English and Spanish will be the languages of the future .

USA will be a bilingual country in 2040, and Brazil the same (Spanish-Portuguese). And there are not only Hispanics or Spaniards in USA. In Canada there are 300.000, in Sweden 100.000, in Australia 100.000, in Switzerland 125.000, etc. (Instituto Cervantes report).

Economically, there are three important Spanish-speaking countries: Spain, Mexico and USA. These three countries have +200 million of Spanish speakers with an economic power greater than Germany or France (World Bank report). And you need to add other medium-size countries: Argentina, Chile, Venezuela, Peru, etc.

English will remain as the only global language, and Spanish the second, of course. Americans will be lucky, because they will have the most important languages at home.

I think that Americans, British, Canadians, Australians, Argentinians, Spaniards, Colombians and Mexicans are interested in both languages. They are complementary languages and very similar. If you speak both languages you understand almost all people from Western Hemispher.

For instance, if an American from California and a French from Toulouse want to understand each other, the languages more useful are English or Spanish (the last one, very known in California and South of France).

Graddol (a British expert in languages) say that one of the international languages that will be less important is FRENCH. I repeat that it is the opinion of experts in languages. He says that there will be 4 key languages in the near future: English, Spanish, Chinese and Arabic (English next report).

See ya.
Guest   Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 am GMT
Spanish will never become the language of the future. No progress can be seen in Hispanic countries.

In English and French speakiong world, you can find countries that are progressive. Spain is a second class European country and Hispanic American countries are tird rate living in poverty

The Hispanics in the US will eventualy Anglicized. Second generation Hispanics will become English speaking with great abhorrence to Spanish language and culture.

So Sam stop dreaming that Spanish will someday becaome the language of the future. It will only happen when yopu take your siesta when you feel lazy just like your fellow Hispanics.
Guest   Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:45 am GMT
Sam nobody belieces in what you post. You're not a prophet and your prediction won't happen but rather the opposite is the one the will take place.

Stop insisting about the report of Instituto Cervantes because we Non-Hispanics do not believe it. And please stop using the English Language as a partner with Spanish language.

One thing that I really don't like about your messages is you are trying to show that the people of the countries like US, France, Sweden, Switzerland, where Hispanics migrated will give up their language just for the sake of them.

Bullshit who needs a BASURA language like you?
Clovis   Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:57 am GMT
Sam,

Why inevitably French ? Pffff it's incredible ! You don't know who is this boy and you can say he's French...stupid !
Moreover in French we say "Vive LE Castillan" and not "Vive Castillan", if he was French he would never had forgotten 'el'.

USA ISN'T a Spanish-speaking country but an English-speaking one ! With this type of reasoning England should be a French-speaking country because there a 300,000 French living in this country and French is also the first foreign languge learn in England...but England will never be a French-speaking country !

I'm French, I'm from Toulouse and I've an american friend who live in California...(unfortunately for you) and we never used the Spanish language to speak but the English one or the French one. In the south of France Spanish is known as a "school language" not as a mother tongue, France and Spain use the English language to work between them you know.

The forecasts are often hazardous...Spanish will be an important language in the future that's sure, but French has good chance with Africa where he grows fastly, more than English or Spanish.

I'm just trying to relativize what you wrote...not to be the "French fanatic" as you could think.
Sam   Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:11 am GMT
Well, If you don´t like official reports, you say that you don´t believe in them. That´s incredible!!!

And this is not only my opinion. David Graddol is an expert in languages. He is British and he works in the British council. British people are neutral about the second or third most important language. But he thinks these languages are Spanish and Chinese, and he explains the reasons.

Other important point, Americans, very practical people, STUDY SPANISH at school, not French or German. And Americans are also neutral about the second most important language. That it is clear for them.

Spain is the 8th world economy, and you say that is a second class country. Hmmm, well, perhaps you are right and there are only 7 first class countries in the world.

I don´t know your nationality and your language, but I think that your language is not a BASURA. All the languages are important for their speakers.
Guest   Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:11 am GMT
<<Economically, there are three important Spanish-speaking countries: Spain, Mexico and USA. These three countries have +200 million of Spanish speakers with an economic power greater than Germany or France (World Bank report). And you need to add other medium-size countries: Argentina, Chile, Venezuela, Peru, etc. >>

USA a Spanish speaking country. Yes but in your imagination only. Nothing is impossible wiuth imagination.

I checked the report of the World Bank and there's no such a thing that Spain's economy will outsripped that of France. This is your invention again and you're a great liar.

You're like one of those Hispanic Fanatics that posted messages here that the GNP of Spain and Mexico is greater than Russia. Russia's GNP as of 2006 is 1.5 trillion while the GNP of Spain and Mexico is is less than 1 trillion. That's it the Hispaniscs in this forum are liars. How can Spain be an economic power in the near future when it doesn't even have an automobile manufacturing company of its own like Reanult, Peugeout, Citroen, and MVS.

You're gullible to believe the report of that British Expert that predicted that English, Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic are the languages of the furture.

There are only 2 global languages and that is English and French because they are spoken in all continents except Antarctica and it's people have huge contribution in science, arts, technology, physics and other fields of learning.

Spanish, Arabic are spoken only in 2 continents while Chinese in just one. Maybe Chinese will become important because it knows how to develop it's own technology and Arabic too since Arabs never stops seeking knowledge to be transmitted to mankind as when Southern Spain was under the Moorish rule. It was the center of learning.

I challenge you. Name 2 NonHispanic nationalities that will use Spanish as their common language to communicate with each other? Enumerate the Spanish speaking world's contribution in science, technology and arts?

The number of speaker of French is about more or less 300 million while Spanish is just around 30 million and majority of whom are in the US. So what are you bragging about the Spanish will someday become important?

<<But these French aren´t so intelligent than us. >>

If they are less intelligent than you then how come that you don't know how to interpret and analyze the data you gathered correctly?

Can you show me thhe website/link that has something to do with Graddol to see if your interpretation is correct? If you can provide give us the tilte oif the book and the authoe if you are really telling the truth.

One thing more I heard that many Instituto Cervantes offices are closing down in many parts of the world because they are running out of Spanish language students.
Sam   Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:29 am GMT
Well, several points:

The book is English next, by David Graddol. You can find this book in Google, and download, because is in PDF.

You can read the list of countries by GDP in millions of USDollars:

1. USA 12.45. In this country Hispanics are 16% of population. So, they have at least an economic power of 1.2 (I add Puerto Rico, an Associated State).
8. Spain 1.12
13.Mexico 0.76

If you add all of them, the total is more or less 3.

The last one, French (Francophonie report, and I think that they don´t lie) is spoken by 115 million of people. You need to add 65 million of "francophone partiels". Well, the figure is 180 million more or less.

If you don´t like official reports, you say that you don´t believe in them. That´s incredible!!!
Sam   Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:48 am GMT
Well, Clovis you are right. Perhaps :D is not French. But I am sure that he is not Hispanic.

You are right in other thing, Spanish in Toulouse and in California is a school language, and a Californian and a French can speak in English, French or other language, but also Spanish.

And you are right in other thing, French will be an important language in Africa too.
Clovis   Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:32 pm GMT
:D isn't Hispanic you're right...he doesn't know 'la tilde'----> español y no espanol.
He should be more careful...poor boy (or girl..I think we'll never know ! lol)
Gallophile   Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:21 pm GMT
Sam, don't believe what's being predicted by so called experts they maybe right or wrong. Look what they predicted that French will disappear and replaced by English in Africa. But look what happened, it's the opposite. Nigeria is having plans to include French as co-official with English. And by the way you only believe reports made by an expert if it exaggerates the Spanish language. You are biased.

What do you mean the Hispanic have share in the US economoic power when the majority of the Hispanic immigrants there are employed in least skillful job and they are not inventors. Wake up Sam, the Hispanic do not carry the US it's an Anglo-Saxon countrey not Hispanic soon the Hispanics will be anglicized. The only reason why there are lots of Spanish speakers there it's because of illegal immigrants.

The number of native French speakers worldwide is 80 million. I heard that there are large number of native speakers of it in that continent among the elites but since we don't have an exact figure, I might as well not included. Spanish is just 330 million behind Hindi 420 million.

Go to Wikipedia about the French language. European Union. There's a map there you compute the number of French speakers as second language based on the percentage in relation to the population of an entire country. It will total to more or less 80 million. And that's only in Europe. How much more if we include the other parts of the world minus Africa and it would probably total to more or less 300 million.

The number of Spanish speakers as 2nd language is 30 million and you have to accept that.

The number of French Speakers in Africa is around 250 million.

Please stop telling the people in this forum that in the future Spanish economy will outstripped that of France and Germany. That's very impossible. Just analyze, compare the per capita income of each country and then the total polation and you can visualize the purchasing power of each country to come up with GNP which is the basis of the economic performance of the country. Spain's population is declining and France's is increasing so what you're contemplating is no feasible.

The standard of living of Mexico is not rising so how will it become an economic power? It's not even an industrialzed country and export is so low. No Mexico cannot duplicate the US it will never become US like as what you're dreaming unless they discard the negative huspanic attitude aming themselves starting from every individual. I know and I understand you that you're dreaming that there will be a US counterpart in the Hispanic world but it's rewally impossible. US is US and it is the haven of the most skillful people and because of its size and population it has become the most powerful in economy. But if it happens that either France or Germany has the same population and size of the US then probably it would not have been the only economic superpower. I hope you get my point.

I just want to negate the one that was posted not too long ago by a Hispanic supporter that the GNP of Spain and Mexico have not surpassed that of Russia's. The GNP of Russia is $1.5 trillion, Spain and Mexico have not yet reached $1 trillion mark. Russia's per capita is $9,000, Spain's is above $15,000 and Mexico's is around $6,000. Russia's population is 145 million, Spain's is 40 million, and Mexico's is 110 million. You can visualize their GNP based on the population and purchasing power which can be determined by per capita income of the 3 countries.

Let us refrain from attacking other linguistic group just to elevate our own.

Let me give you an example: Spanish is an important world language because of it's huge number of speakers in Latin America and so on.

We can do that without saying that Spanish will replace English in the US or French is not as important Spanish and Estonian is even more important than it.

Until next time!
Gallophile   Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:23 pm GMT
Sam, don't believe what's being predicted by so called experts they maybe right or wrong. Look what they predicted that French will disappear and replaced by English in Africa. But look what happened, it's the opposite. Nigeria is having plans to include French as co-official with English. And by the way you only believe reports made by an expert if it exaggerates the Spanish language. You are biased.

What do you mean the Hispanic have share in the US economoic power when the majority of the Hispanic immigrants there are employed in least skillful job and they are not inventors. Wake up Sam, the Hispanic do not carry the US it's an Anglo-Saxon countrey not Hispanic soon the Hispanics will be anglicized. The only reason why there are lots of Spanish speakers there it's because of illegal immigrants.

The number of native French speakers worldwide is 80 million. I heard that there are large number of native speakers of it in that continent among the elites but since we don't have an exact figure, I might as well not included. Spanish is just 330 million behind Hindi 420 million.

Go to Wikipedia about the French language. European Union. There's a map there you compute the number of French speakers as second language based on the percentage in relation to the population of an entire country. It will total to more or less 80 million. And that's only in Europe. How much more if we include the other parts of the world minus Africa and it would probably total to more or less 300 million.

The number of Spanish speakers as 2nd language is 30 million and you have to accept that.

Please stop telling the people in this forum that in the future Spanish economy will outstripped that of France and Germany. That's very impossible. Just analyze, compare the per capita income of each country and then the total polation and you can visualize the purchasing power of each country to come up with GNP which is the basis of the economic performance of the country. Spain's population is declining and France's is increasing so what you're contemplating is no feasible.

The standard of living of Mexico is not rising so how will it become an economic power? It's not even an industrialzed country and export is so low. No Mexico cannot duplicate the US it will never become US like as what you're dreaming unless they discard the negative huspanic attitude aming themselves starting from every individual. I know and I understand you that you're dreaming that there will be a US counterpart in the Hispanic world but it's rewally impossible. US is US and it is the haven of the most skillful people and because of its size and population it has become the most powerful in economy. But if it happens that either France or Germany has the same population and size of the US then probably it would not have been the only economic superpower. I hope you get my point.

I just want to negate the one that was posted not too long ago by a Hispanic supporter that the GNP of Spain and Mexico have not surpassed that of Russia's. The GNP of Russia is $1.5 trillion, Spain and Mexico have not yet reached $1 trillion mark. Russia's per capita is $9,000, Spain's is above $15,000 and Mexico's is around $6,000. Russia's population is 145 million, Spain's is 40 million, and Mexico's is 110 million. You can visualize their GNP based on the population and purchasing power which can be determined by per capita income of the 3 countries.

Let me give you an example: Spanish is an important world language because of it's huge number of speakers in Latin America and so on.

We can do that without saying that Spanish will replace English in the US or French is not as important Spanish and Estonian is even more important than it.

Until next time!
Gallophile   Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:25 pm GMT

What do you mean the Hispanic have share in the US economoic power when the majority of the Hispanic immigrants there are employed in least skillful job and they are not investors. Wake up Sam, the Hispanic do not carry the US it's an Anglo-Saxon country not Hispanic soon the Hispanics will be anglicized. The only reason why there are lots of Spanish speakers there it's because of illegal immigrants.

Until next time!
Sam   Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:25 pm GMT
Well, Gallophile, you are right in some things, but ONLY PARTIALLY.

For instance, a lot of Hispanics in USA are poor,you are right, but a lot of them not: Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez, Enrique Iglesias or Antonio Banderas are rich, very rich.

At this moment in USA there are officially 44 million of Hispanics. You need to add 12 million of illegal Hispanics. And you can add Puerto Rico, an associated state (4 million people). You know that it is studied by 8-10 million of Anglos at school, at High School or at the University in all the States . So, some 70 million people in USA has a basic, medium or high level of Spanish language, and a lot of them are medium or high classes.

The economic power of these people are important, you can´t undervalue that. If you add Mexico and Spain, we are more than 200 million of Spanish speakers with an important economic power, all together.

If you say that French is important, I agree. If you say that French is important in Africa, I agree. If you say that French is important in Europe, I agree, but if you say that French is the second global language, I don´t agree, because that is not true: there is only one global language.
Andrew   Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:46 pm GMT
SO Spanish will be become a global language? Or will hispanics adapt to English? Because if there were no hispanics in The US, then their would not be as much fuss I bet about Spanish growing because Spain is stagnant, and Latin America is growing but certainly not as fast as Africa is.
Sam   Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:10 pm GMT
I read this in "El Pais" Domingo, 1/4/2007:

Algunos estudiosos de la comunicación internacional piensan incluso que el español puede competir directamente con el inglés. Como el lingüista británico David Graddol -"el español ganará la partida al inglés en 2050",- y expertos en proyección estadística de la Británica Word Data de Chicago que anuncian que en 2030 los hispanohablantes supondrán el 7,5% de la población mundial, unos 535 millones, frente al 2,2% de los hablantes de ruso, el 1,4% de los francófonos y el 1,2% de personas de habla alemana. Si esas proyecciones se confirman, el 10% de los habitantes del planeta se expresará en español a la vuelta de tres o cuatro generaciones. Más aún, un estudio encargado por la Unesco contempla la posibilidad de que la cuarta parte de la humanidad hable español a mediados del presente siglo.