Future of the languages?

Sam   Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:45 am GMT
Well, according to this article, there are several interesting points:

- In 2050, Spanish language will be most spoken than English, and perhaps more important (David Graddol).

-Some experts say that Spanish-speakers in 2030 will be 7,5% of World population, some 535 million people. (French 1,4%, Russian 2,2%, 1,2% German), (Britannica World Data, Chicago).

- In 2050, perhaps 25% of World population will speak Spanish in some degree (Unesco report).

- in 2050, there will be 100 million of speaker in USA (Instituto Cervantes).
Gallophile   Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:54 am GMT
First of all I wish to ask frogiveness from you because I accicentaly sent the same message thrice. It wasn't my intention but yesterday, there was a problem accessing this site and when I tried to send the message, it took me several minutes so I have to stop and push the Send message button again because I thought it would be more effective. I hope you'll understand me and I'm sure you experience the same from time to time.

I made a mistake in the sentence "What do you mean the Hispanic have share in the US economoic power when the majority of the Hispanic immigrants there are employed in least skillful job and they are not inventors."

The "inventors" there should have been "investors" or "business people". Sorry for that

The English speaking people were the source of the statement that there are only 2 global languages and that is English and French and you can read this from English language websirtes that has something to do with foreign languages, honestly speaking.

<<In 2050, Spanish language will be most spoken than English, and perhaps more important (David Graddol). >>

Well, Spanish is/will be one of the most important languages. But there are parts of the world which it is not widely studied.

Japanese is more widely spoken than either French, German, Spanish in China and many Asian countries because of Japan's economic power and Japan's investment in China is so huge which dwarfs that of Germany, France, and Spain. Take note that Japanese is natively spoken in just 1 country, Japan. Although it is widely spoken and understood in Guam, Marianas Islands, and Saipan and some experts even believe that it may overshadow English in these achipelagos as because of large number of Japanes expatraites in there.

The same case in Eastern Europe where German competes with Russian, and English neck to neck and it even surpasses French because of Germany's huge investment in the area. Although French is ahead of German in countries like Rumania, Greece, Albania, Bulgaria, and Serbia and Montenegro. But German is the undisputed number 1 foreign language in Czech Republic and Hungary.

So that's one of the factors that make a language widely spoken and studied outside their respective turfs although quantity and huge geographical area too are other important factors but they're not the only basis to be considered.

The truth really hurts but I admit it. I'm an avid francophile but I adhere to what is fact. What can I do about it if that is the truth. I hope that other hispanics in this forum would have the same attitude.

English speaking countries are the most economicaly powerful and it also has the quantity, huge geographical area, and of course the influence.

Japanese too has the economic power, fairly large number of speakers but it lacks the huge geographical area and the influence is less that strong.

German has the economic power, fairly large number of speakers but spoken natively in Central Europe, influence is stronger than that of the Japanese speaking world but less than English sepaking world.

On the other hand, French speaking world has the also the economic power though lesser than of English, Japanese, and German speaking world. But it's influence is equal or greater than that of the Anglophone world. Of course nobody can deny the huge number of its near native speakers majority of whom are in Francophone Africa aside from its not so large native speakers which can be placed in quantity and huge geographical area.

I opted not to include the Spanish speaking world so as not to offend the other hispanics here in this forum. You know the status of Spanish speaking world in economy, quantity, size of geographical area where it is spoken, economic power, and influence.

À la prochaine mes amis!
Sam   Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:41 pm GMT
Well, Gallophile, it doesn´t matter. You are right in almost you wrote in your last message.

But if we want to summarize, the linguistic situation is the next:

-Until the 90´s there were two global languages: English and French. There were other important languages, like German, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, etc.

-In the last 10 years the linguistic situation is changing very fast. At this moment is starting a new linguistic order, very, very different. There will be 4 important languages: English, Spanish, Chinese and Arabic (perhaps Hindi-Urdu too). Other languages will be also important, but a little less: French, German, Japanese and Russian. That is because of several factors that David Graddol explain very well.

That is not my opinion, because I didn´t know that. That is the opinion of David Graddol. You can read "The future of English" and "English next".
You can download this books from Google.

Almost all experts are speaking about this new linguistic order. I don´t know if that is true or not.

See ya.
Gallophile   Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:11 am GMT
Well that's the opinion of David Graddol, but in my opinion French, Russian, and German will still be important.

I don't think that Spanish will outpace French. The influence of the Spanish speaking world is weak.
Gallophile   Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:46 am GMT
The status of Spanish is the same as that of Chinese. Large number of speakers but not large number of foreigners who are willing to study it except knowing just a few basic phrases and greetings.
David Graddol's rival   Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:43 pm GMT
David Graddol?

He is certainly a Nostradamus friend, no?
But an inferior seer and visionarist compared with this last one...

<< French, German, Japanese and Russian. That is because of several factors that David Graddol explain very well.>>

ah ah!
Give the David explanations!

The reality now:
French is the second foreign language, and the official language of 30 countries.
German the 3rd foreign language, very important in the EU (the most powerful area of the world), also the most spoke in Europe (excepted Russia)
Japanese the 2nd most powerful country of the word language, and also very influential in Asia.
Russian, speaking by most than 240 milions inhabitants, and the largest area of the world.

and after?

French is certainly again the 2nd foreign language (or chinese perhaps), and one of the most important language of the world maybe before spanish, portuguese and arabic (french is an official language in Africa in a area bigger than the USA, the population demography will increase very fastly, more than the Latin America for example).
German, a long time will stay a very important language because it's already an influential and admired language.
Japanese: The economy and the Japanese people will react very fastly against the demographic problems, the japaneses work much more that the other rich peoples, so the Japan empire will stay a very powerful country. And influential (Japan hasn't the place which it has to have in the big organizations as UNO, due to the 2nd world war.
Russian, Russia thanks to these incredible resources, is going to become again a developed and powerful country (one of the most powerful army of the world)
David Graddol's rival   Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:52 pm GMT
Another point with German:
This language in an international view hold 20% of international exchanges, English also 63%, and Spanish 9%...
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:03 pm GMT
¡HOLA! I AM FROM BUENOS AIRES, AND I'VE STUDIED ITALIAN FOR SEVERAL YEARS (MY PARENTS COME FROM ITALY!!!)...
I AM SURE: ITALIAN WILL BE THE LANGUAGE OF FUTURE.
ITALIAN IS A VERY IMPORTANT LANGUAGE IN THE WORLD;
MILLION OF PEOPLE AT LEAST UNDERSTAND IT IN THE WORLD.
ITALIAN IS A FOUNDAMENTAL LANGUAGE FOR COMUNICATION AND TRADE IN CROATIA, ALBANIA, SLOVENIA, HUNGARY, SLOVAKIA, BUT ALSO LIBIA, SOMALIA AND MANY MANY MANY OTHER COUNTRIES IN AFRICA AND ASIA.
IT IS ALSO SPOKEN IN AMERICA (USA, CANADA, ¡ARGENTINA!, BRASIL, VENEZUELA).
I CAN DEMONSTRATE TO YOU THAT ITALIAN SHOULD BE SINCE NOW AN INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE: IF I ASKED HOW MANY PEOPLE HERE UNDERSTAND ITALIAN (IN SPOKEN AND WRITTEN FORM), I AM SURE THAT PRACTICALLY 90- 95 % OF YOU WILL ANSWER: "YES, I PERFECTLY UNDERSTAND IT": SO, IF ITALIAN IS UNDERSTOOD IN THE WORLD BETTER THAN OTHER LANGUAGE (PROBABILY EVEN BETTER THAN ENGLISH), I BELIEVE IT SHOULD BE THE LANGUAGE OF FUTURE, AN INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE AND AN INTERNATIONAL WAY OF COMUNICATION.
TELL ME IF YOU AGREE OR NOT!!!!
Guest   Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:57 am GMT
Guest are you telling the trut? Becuse I didn't know that Italian is widely spoken in Hungary and Slovakia.
David Graddol's rival   Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:59 am GMT
<< ¡HOLA! I AM FROM BUENOS AIRES, AND I'VE STUDIED ITALIAN FOR SEVERAL YEARS (MY PARENTS COME FROM ITALY!!!)...
I AM SURE: ITALIAN WILL BE THE LANGUAGE OF FUTURE.
ITALIAN IS A VERY IMPORTANT LANGUAGE IN THE WORLD;
MILLION OF PEOPLE AT LEAST UNDERSTAND IT IN THE WORLD.
ITALIAN IS A FOUNDAMENTAL LANGUAGE FOR COMUNICATION AND TRADE IN CROATIA, ALBANIA, SLOVENIA, HUNGARY, SLOVAKIA, BUT ALSO LIBIA, SOMALIA AND MANY MANY MANY OTHER COUNTRIES IN AFRICA AND ASIA.
IT IS ALSO SPOKEN IN AMERICA (USA, CANADA, ¡ARGENTINA!, BRASIL, VENEZUELA).
I CAN DEMONSTRATE TO YOU THAT ITALIAN SHOULD BE SINCE NOW AN INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE: IF I ASKED HOW MANY PEOPLE HERE UNDERSTAND ITALIAN (IN SPOKEN AND WRITTEN FORM), I AM SURE THAT PRACTICALLY 90- 95 % OF YOU WILL ANSWER: "YES, I PERFECTLY UNDERSTAND IT": SO, IF ITALIAN IS UNDERSTOOD IN THE WORLD BETTER THAN OTHER LANGUAGE (PROBABILY EVEN BETTER THAN ENGLISH), I BELIEVE IT SHOULD BE THE LANGUAGE OF FUTURE, AN INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE AND AN INTERNATIONAL WAY OF COMUNICATION.
TELL ME IF YOU AGREE OR NOT!!!! >>

Of course Italian is now an important language, it's a romanic language and for this fact, it's very intelligible by all the french, spanish, portuguese and other roman languages-speakers (850Millions men and women!).
It's very important culturaly, historicaly, economicaly etc...
And very important, Italian is so beautiful, nice and pleasant for ears.
Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:01 am GMT
<<Russian, Russia thanks to these incredible resources, is going to become again a developed and powerful country (one of the most powerful army of the world) >>

You forgot tomention that aside from Russia, Russian is also spoken as native language in Belarus and Parts of Ukraine and Kazakhstan where it is non native Russian spekers used it more often in writing, singing, and other formal situations because they are more at ease with it.

In addition it is also widely spoken in ex-Soviet Republics, Mongolia, Bulgaria, Poland and now becoming widespread in Gibraltar and Turkey. Many Finns are also fluent in it.

So Russian can be considered as a world language also.
Sam   Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:20 am GMT
"The status of Spanish is the same as that of Chinese. Large number of speakers but not large number of foreigners who are willing to study it except knowing just a few basic phrases and greetings"

You are wrong in this point. Spanish is at this moment the second most studied language (Instituto Cervantes) because of the students of USA and Brazil (there are millions in both countries).

Chinese is 4th according to a report. But Chinese will be 3rd in some years, and German 4th.

Sources: Instituto Cervantes and Berlitz
kakaprut!   Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:05 pm GMT
<< Spanish is at this moment the second most studied language (Instituto Cervantes) because of the students of USA and Brazil (there are millions in both countries). >>

FALSE!
The second most studied language is FRENCH:
on wikipedia:
"French as a foreign language is the second most frequently taught language in the world after English"
link:
http://www.fll.vt.edu/French/whyfrench.html

Stop lying, and saying bullshit!
English   Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:31 am GMT
In the end there will be only one left: English. After that...poooffff
NTSL   Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:43 am GMT
<<You are wrong in this point. Spanish is at this moment the second most studied language (Instituto Cervantes) because of the students of USA and Brazil (there are millions in both countries).

Chinese is 4th according to a report. But Chinese will be 3rd in some years, and German 4th.

Sources: Instituto Cervantes and Berlitz >>

you're ver y wrong Sam. There are only 30 miulliuon speakers of Spansih as second language all over the world. In Europe alone there are more than 80 million peakers of it Sam as second language.

That was only the report of Instituto Cervantes. Well according to Berlitz, Alliance Française and Goethe Institute English is number 1, French is second and German is third all over the world.

You said it before that according to Berlitz that French is second and Spanish is becoming popular. Sorry, we cannot believe what are you posting. You're inconsistent.

You know it really shows in your messages how anti-French you are Sam. Imagine, you're trying to tell the people here that French will become not important and will not be in top 5 most studied language.

You're just inventing information and you're using German, Chinese, and Arabic to bring down French. But sorry according to survey, those three languages will become far more important than Spanish in the future.

You're just envious of the French and you really want to take everything from the French and give it to Spanish. Are you still sane? You must be needing a psychiatrist because you cannot accept what is true and you are fond of making lies about the French language.