Future of the languages?

Ozie   Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:50 am GMT
There are only 25 million hispanics in the US not 45 million. It looks like you really love to exaggerate Sam.
Sam   Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:52 am GMT
"Hispanics constitute the largest minority group, by place of origin, in the United States. A Hispanic person may be of any race (Amerindian, mixed, white, black, Asian). As of July 1, 2004, Hispanics accounted for 14.1% of the population, around 41.3 million people. The Hispanic growth rate over the July 1, 2003 to July 1, 2004 period was 3.6% - higher than any other ethnic group in the United States, and in fact more than three times the rate of the nation's total population (at 1.0%). The projected Hispanic population of the United States for July 1, 2050, is of 102.6 million people. According to this projection, Hispanics will constitute 24% of the nation’s total population on that date."

Wikipedia. I don´t exaggerate.
Geoff_One   Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:30 pm GMT
I have been into many bookshops in Australia that have a collection of foreign language books, and in just about everyone of these bookshops, if not all of them, there is a large collection of Spanish language books. I inevitably undertake a quick scan of all the foreign language books, and amongst the collections of foreign language books, the Spanish collection on each occasion appears to be the largest or close to the largest. On three occasions, I did book/item counts and found the Spanish collection to be the largest.
Andrew   Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:53 pm GMT
That number seems really high...

Language in the United States :

Spanish - 28 million
Chinese languages - 2.0 million + (mostly Cantonese speakers, with a growing group of Mandarin speakers)
French - 1.9 million
German - 1.4 million (High German) + German dialects like Hutterite German, Texas German, Pennsylvania Dutch, Plautdietsch
Tagalog - 1.2 million + (Most Filipinos may also know other Philippine languages, e.g. Ilokano, Pangasinan, and Visayan languages)
Vietnamese - 1.01 million
Italian - 1.01 million
Korean - 890,000
Russian - 710,000
Polish - 670,000
Arabic - 610,000
Portuguese - 560,000
Japanese - 480,000
French Creole - 450,000
Greek - 370,000
Hindi - 320,000
Persian - 310,000
Urdu - 260,000
Gujarati - 240,000
Armenian - 200,000
Pashto - 45,000
NTSL   Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:00 pm GMT
Geoff, just tell the world that you're hispanic who disguises as an Australian just like many of the posters here and some pretend to be a Romanian and would post that Sapnish is number 1 in Romania. They are from come from TERCER MUNDO.

Spanish is not popular in Australia. The leading foriegn langauges in Australia are Japanese, french, and Italian. I've been in Australia and I was there to do some survey on which foreign langauges are the most studied since it's part of my job. One of my mission is to go to bookstores to find out which foreign language books are the bestsellers and they are Japanese and French.

Nice try geoff but you are one of the personalities of those who promote the Spanish language here in a wrong way. Sorry, but I have a suspicion that you're an employee of Instituto Cervantes.

Where did you learn your English? It seems that it resembles the poetry written in Eanglish way back 500 years ago.

'amongst' is not used in Australia but instead they use 'among'. People of Australia would burst into laughter the moment they hear anybody use that word because it's archaic especially if he is a genuine Aussie.

They write the words centre, favour, and organise instead of center, favor, and organize but they don't use words that almost fell out of use.
Ozie   Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:57 pm GMT
What did I tell you Sam?

There are only 25 million hispanics in the US of A. Both the figures of Andrew and mine are so close to each other while yours is exaggerated. Maybe when you gather data from your source you tend to add the figures for the Spanish language.

As for Geoff, will you stop pretending to be an Aussie. Everybody knows here in Oz that Spanish is not number. There are other languages that can offer more than Spanish.

Investors from highy developed and industrialized countries are transferring their production from Latin American countries to Asian countries particularly China and India because they speak English better than Hispanics aside from cheaper labour.

There are no investment that coming from Hispanic countries either since most of them are in the 3rd world.

So do you think Spanish will be a useful investment if that is the situation?
I cannot believe!   Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:04 pm GMT
WIKIPEDIA??? AHAHAHAHAH!!!!! WHOSE normal person can make a research in that garbage and above all believe it??
Guest   Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:34 pm GMT
It is unbelievable how anti-english posts in this forum will be promptly deleted while all the crap on any other nation not.
COMPLUMENTS
s.jack   Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:21 pm GMT
It is unbelievable how anti-english posts in this forum will be promptly deleted while all the crap on any other nation not.
This is true.
Sam   Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:12 pm GMT
Los números según el Censo.

"Conforme a los datos recientemente publicados por el Censo en el 2005, de los 300 millones de personas que residen en los Estados Unidos, cerca de 46 millones (o 14% de la población total) son latinos. La comunidad latina creció en aproximadamente 60% durante la última década.

Los latinos constituyen ahora la mayor minoría en los Estados Unidos y se pronostica que alcanzará 60 millones para el año 2020, 80,2 millones para el año 2040 y 96,5 millones para el año 2050 constituyendo entonces el 24,5% de la población total de los Estados Unidos.

La mayor porción de la población latina es la de descendientes mexicanos, con 58,5% de la población latina total de los Estados Unidos, seguida por los portorriqueños, con 9,6% y los cubanos, con 3,5 %. Los centroamericanos constituyen el 4,8%, mientras que los sudamericanos constituyen el 3,8% y los dominicanos constituyen el 2,2%."

http://www.fox16.com/content/news/ellatino/story.aspx?content_id=6e4120b4-c387-492a-95c8-7199528da62c

I read this. Officially Hispanics in USA are 46 million (2005). I repeat that it is official according to the US Census. But you need to add illegal Hispanics and students of Spanish. So, the figures that I said are more or less the same. I don´t exaggerate.
Sam   Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:13 pm GMT
Los números según el Censo.

"Conforme a los datos recientemente publicados por el Censo en el 2005, de los 300 millones de personas que residen en los Estados Unidos, cerca de 46 millones (o 14% de la población total) son latinos. La comunidad latina creció en aproximadamente 60% durante la última década.

Los latinos constituyen ahora la mayor minoría en los Estados Unidos y se pronostica que alcanzará 60 millones para el año 2020, 80,2 millones para el año 2040 y 96,5 millones para el año 2050 constituyendo entonces el 24,5% de la población total de los Estados Unidos.

La mayor porción de la población latina es la de descendientes mexicanos, con 58,5% de la población latina total de los Estados Unidos, seguida por los portorriqueños, con 9,6% y los cubanos, con 3,5 %. Los centroamericanos constituyen el 4,8%, mientras que los sudamericanos constituyen el 3,8% y los dominicanos constituyen el 2,2%."

http://www.fox16.com/content/news/ellatino/story.aspx?content_id=6e4120b4-c387-492a-95c8-7199528da62c

I read this. Officially Hispanics in USA are 46 million (2005). I repeat that it is official according to the US Census. But you need to add illegal Hispanics and students of Spanish. So, the figures that I said are more or less the same. I don´t exaggerate.
a reflection   Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:58 pm GMT
The 99% of people who study English is compelled to do that, otherwise nobody care to learn it
Geoff_One   Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:17 pm GMT
<<'amongst' is not used in Australia but instead they use 'among'. People of Australia would burst into laughter the moment they hear anybody use that word because it's archaic especially if he is a genuine Aussie.>>

By placing too much reliance on the sterotyping of a people, errors can result.

<< The leading foriegn langauges in Australia are Japanese, french, and Italian.>>

What about Indonesian and Chinese Mandarin?

Some may question whether Italian is a foreign language in Australia.
Geoff_One   Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:22 pm GMT
<< Geoff, just tell the world that you're hispanic who disguises as an Australian just like many of the posters here and some pretend to be a Romanian and would post that Sapnish is number 1 in Romania. >>

<< As for Geoff, will you stop pretending to be an Aussie.>>

Presumptions are often the mother of a stuff-up.
Geoff_One   Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:26 pm GMT
<< Geoff, just tell the world that you're hispanic who disguises as an Australian just like many of the posters here and some pretend to be a Romanian and would post that Sapnish is number 1 in Romania. >>

<< As for Geoff, will you stop pretending to be an Aussie.>>

Edmund Barton

TV advertisment 2000 & 2001

Many Australians know that the first president of the United States
was George Washington, but do you know ... etc etc

What is the name of the person who occupies the number one office/position in Australia at this time?