Qué hacer para hablar castellano como un nativo, sin acento?

K. T.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:25 pm GMT
"Oh ,yes, I remember you...."

Very, very funny.
K. T.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:36 pm GMT
Actually, I would like it if we had a "proper" Spanish. I noticed in the bookstore that there was a Spanish book for kids (with a recording, I think) that emphasized European Spanish. Food for thought, indeed. Usually it's: Learn Spanish...then there is a picture of a sombrero and/or a Mexican Flag.
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:51 pm GMT
What does has a Mexican flag to do with Castilian Spanish? Do people in US still think Spain borders with Colombia?
K. T.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:01 pm GMT
Uh, no. It means that in the eyes of some marketing folks, Spanish means Mexican Spanish.
K. T.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:04 pm GMT
To make it clear:

Usually there are books with Mexican flags, sombreros, and probably saguaros on the cover. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't one with a TACO!

However, this time, the Spanish book for kids was emphasizing SPAIN, not MEXICO.
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:05 pm GMT
Well it is a fact that Mexico is the world's most famous Spanish-speaking country, but seriously do you think Mexicans like to be portrait with sombreros and donkeys? That’s a joke; any Mexican from Mexico would get offended by that.
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:08 pm GMT
Well, It sounds strange to me, because I met guys in Maryland who studied Castilian Spanish despite there are tons of Mexicans in that state. My guess is that at the academic level, Castilian Spanish is prefered in US. Perhpas in the West Coast it is different.
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:36 pm GMT
"Well it is a fact that Mexico is the world's most famous Spanish-speaking country"

Sorry, but I thought it was Spain :-) I'm not from Spain
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:42 pm GMT
Sorry folks. It is Argentina.
furrykef   Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:59 pm GMT
In the U.S., Spanish is definitely most associated with Mexico. In other countries, it might be different, but the stereotype here is that Spanish is spoken by Mexicans -- so much that anybody with slightly darker skin who speaks Spanish is going to be called a "Mexican", no matter what country they're actually from. (I wouldn't say "Mexican" myself unless I knew for sure the person in question was from Mexico, but many people don't care about the difference.)

One time I was at the store and I thought it'd be a good idea to buy this package called "Instant Immersion Spanish Deluxe", with 4 software CDs and 4 audio CDs. (Don't buy it. It's junk.) The box had a picture of a map of North America with Mexico highlighted: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512PGATQ0DL._SS400_.jpg

I don't know about the audio CDs -- I haven't really used them yet -- but the software CD uses European Spanish exclusively. It doesn't even bother to say this... the only way to tell is by listening to the accent, and maybe a couple of the vocabulary words. It's borderline false advertising. I'm not complaining about it, though... it's far from the worst sin that the package commits, sadly.

- Kef
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:04 pm GMT
"I don't know about the audio CDs -- I haven't really used them yet -- but the software CD uses European Spanish exclusively "

Then it is true, people in US learn Castilian Spanish despite most of people associate Spanish with Mexico.
K. T.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:05 pm GMT
Concerning book covers:

I'm not designing the book covers. The books I describe are usually for lay people or self-learners, not college students.
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:05 pm GMT
The European Spanish c/z sound is so cute! I could never have learnt the American variant :-)
Sergio   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:06 pm GMT
Hi Kef,

Funny, what you have just said above. I am Mexican and I would never come to the idea that we are so representative in the Spanish speaking world. For me, the rest of Latinamerica is so huge that I have always felt Mexico as a little piece in the puzzle.

Anyway, it is interesting to know how other countries see you. Like the European idea that Mexico is in Southamerica. By the way, would you think of bigger differences amongst Spanish varieties compared with the English speaking countries?... I'm just curious.
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:08 pm GMT
Seriously when I saw that I just pissed me off, they either don't know enough or they just give a shit, if they put Mexico's image then they should put Mexican Spanish, that's like putting the US map to learn British English.