Qué hacer para hablar castellano como un nativo, sin acento?

Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:11 pm GMT
Se puede denunciar al fabricante de los CDs por publicidad engañosa.
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:13 pm GMT
Me acuesto, estoy hecho polvo :-)
K. T.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:23 pm GMT
"I am Mexican and I would never come to the idea that we are so representative in the Spanish speaking world. For me, the rest of Latinamerica is so huge that I have always felt Mexico as a little piece in the puzzle."

You may now strut instead of stroll...

Seriously, if you heard a Gringo speaking European Spanish would you be surprised?
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:26 pm GMT
Why do the Usans are called gringos in Mexico? Is it a derogative term?
Gabriel   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:28 pm GMT
<<No, Spanish does not have he Sh sound. People, study Spanish before you say nonsenses about it. >>

I'm a native speaker of Spanish, and I most definitely have the Sh sound (if by that you mean of course [S]).
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:32 pm GMT
Then you are as weird as yellow dogs.
K. T.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:46 pm GMT
Why do the Usans are called gringos in Mexico? Is it a derogative term?

Well, I can say "Gringo" and I'm not offended. But USANS! AAARGH!

Here's some help: Why are Citizens of the United States called "gringos" in Mexico?
Mallorquí.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:56 pm GMT
GRINGO, from Wikipedia:

"[edit] Etymology
According to the Spanish etymologist Joan Coromines, gringo is derived from griego (Spanish for "Greek"), the proverbial name for an unintelligible language (a usage found also in the Shakespearean "it was Greek to me" and its derivative "It's all Greek to me"). From referring simply to language, it was extended to people speaking foreign tongues and to their physical features - similar to the development of the ancient Greek word βάρβαρος (bárbaros), "barbarian".[8][9][10]

Still, scholars are not in agreement about the correct origin of this word.[3]

[edit] Folk Etymologies
There are many popular but unsupported etymologies for this word, many of which relate it to the United States Army in some way or another.

[edit] Mexican-American War
A recurring etymology of gringo states that it originated during the Mexican-American War of 1846-48. Gringo comes from "green coat" and was used in reference to the American soldiers and the green color of their uniforms. Yet another story, from Mexico, holds that Mexicans with knowledge of the English language used to write "greens go home" on street walls referring to the color of the uniforms of the invading army; subsequently, it became a common habitual action for the rest of the population to yell "green go" whenever U.S. soldiers passed by.

These explanations are unlikely, since the U.S. Army did not use green uniforms at the time, but rather blue ones.[11][2]

Another assertion maintains that one of two songs – either "Green Grow the Lilacs" or "Green Grow the Rushes, O" – was popular at the time and that Mexicans heard the invading U.S. troops singing "Green grow..." and contracted this into gringo.

However, there is ample evidence that the use of the word predates the Mexican-American War.[3][8][2][9]

[edit] Green uniforms during other armed conflicts
Another version of the story, heard in Brazil, refers to the United States Army base near Natal, Brazil during World War II. The American soldiers, wearing green uniforms, supposedly would be commanded "green, go!" by their sergeants during training.

The "green go" etymology can also be heard in Panama, where it is said that during the time when the U.S. Army occupied the Canal Zone, people would chant it alongside "Yankee go home!" when partaking in street protests.

"Green coat" stories can also be heard in most other Latin American countries, with numerous variations. Some stories have the term originating as recently as the Vietnam war. Other stories attribute the term to other conflicts, all of which occurred too late in history to account for the earliest usages of the word.

[edit] Other derivations from the word "green"
In the Dominican Republic it is said that the term was a mispronunciation of the words "green gold", referring to the green color of USA currency, as well as the corruption of the exclamation: "green go!", said to have voiced local opposition within the volatile context of both U.S. military interventions to the Island. Another interpretation makes a generalized character judgement of Americans: "they see 'green' (money) and they 'go' (after it)".

Yet another version, also heard in Brazil, claims that when the British were building the railroads in Brazil in the beginning of the 20th century, they would instruct the locals on how traffic lights worked: red, stop; green, go. The British were thereafter known as gringo.

[edit] Other uses
In the context of Mexican cuisine, a gringa is a flour tortilla taco of spiced pork (carne al pastor) with cheese (mostly Manchego, Chihuahua or oaxaca cheese). The combination is heated on the comal until piping hot and then served with a choice of salsa. The flour tortilla is white, with brown spots, similar to white skin with freckles.

In the 1950s in Mexico, the 50 Mexican pesos bill was called ojo de gringa ("gringa's eye") because it was blue.[12]

[edit] Gringolandia
The word Gringolandia is often used as a mock replacement for United States of America. This tongue-in-cheek play of words between gringo and "Disneyland," (Disneylandia in Spanish), literally means "Land of the Gringos."

A possible motive for resorting to the word is that the United States lacks a one-word name other than the ambiguous "America." Gringolandia would hence serve that purpose, albeit in an humorous fashion."
furrykef   Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:12 am GMT
<< Then it is true, people in US learn Castilian Spanish despite most of people associate Spanish with Mexico. >>

Hmm, I wouldn't go that far. When I was in high school, where I studied Spanish for three years, we focused more on the Latin American variants. We didn't even study the conjugations for 'vosotros'.

<< that's like putting the US map to learn British English. >>

Indeed. I don't think I'd be offended by something like that myself, though I'm sure some people would.

<< GRINGO, from Wikipedia: >>

Mm, it's better to paste a link than to paste a large section of text from the article.

- Kef
Sergio   Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:18 am GMT
Hi K.T.,

>You may now strut instead of stroll...
Hehehe... not at all. I am not that nationalistic, and for me Spanish doesn't mean only Mexico :)

>Seriously, if you heard a Gringo speaking European Spanish would you be surprised?
Of course I wouldn't. I have heard people from many countries speaking European Spanish, Mexican Spanish or other countries' Spanish.... I have absolutely no problem with that. I might not like some features from European Spanish, but that wouldn't by far mean that I don't like European Spanish (the educated version I mean).
K. T.   Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:53 am GMT
TY, Sergio. Your English is quite good, better than mine, I think.
edo   Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:08 am GMT
"Then it is true, people in US learn Castilian Spanish despite most of people associate Spanish with Mexico."

Almost no one in the U.S. studies "Castilian Spanish" in school. (A misnomer--a number of Latin American countries use the term "castellano" for Spanish.) The vast majority of academic texts, classes, and teachers are geared toward Latin American Spanish. It may not be Mexican Spanish per se, but the pronunciation, vocabulary, and usage are general Latin American. (And also generally avoid regionalisms like the "vos" form, or a strong Argentine accent, etc.)

Yes, a text or recordings may throw in a little Spain Spanish, but Latin American is considered standard here. Even graduate students studying authors from Spain would probably continue to pronounce them with a Latin American accent.

Of course, there are individuals who may privately choose to learn Spanish from Spain, and there are texts and recordings that use Spain Spanish exclusively, but they tend to be originally published in the UK or elsewhere in Europe (e.g., the "E-Z Spanish" course).
Vicente   Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:57 pm GMT
Disculpen caballeros pero nos hemos alejado de la cuestion inicial.
Guest   Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:14 pm GMT
<<Almost no one in the U.S. studies "Castilian Spanish" in school." >>

Indiana Universiy: http://www.indiana.edu/~spanport/

As long as their Spanish department's webpage exhibits the Alhambra palace, they must teach Castilian Spanish instead of South American Spanish.
Guest   Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:29 pm GMT
Oh my... and which one is the "South American" Spanish?