Qué hacer para hablar castellano como un nativo, sin acento?

Guest   Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:36 pm GMT
Another University which presumably teachs Castilian Spanish:

http://www.usca.edu/forlang/spanish.html#Spanish
Gabriel   Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:51 pm GMT
<<Then you are as weird as yellow dogs. >>

How many yellow dogs would it take to call them normal? Is 43 million enough? That's the approximate number of native speakers of Spanish in Argentina and Uruguay who, like me, have [S] or [Z] or both as a standard, "educated" phoneme..
Guest   Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:07 pm GMT
I thought that you said Spaniard Spanish. Some people say that spaniards pronounce the s letter like the English sh. Yes, in Argentina people pronounce ll as sh in she. I still find it strange, since it is the only dialect that pronounces ll that way. Maybe Italian infuence?
Guest   Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:32 am GMT
No, that has nothing to do with Italian, it's more likely that had to do with the indigenous population of those lands, in fact Argentines have some indigenous traditions like drinking "mate" which is an indigenous beverage, or even some sources state that the word "che" which is quite a common Argentina word, comes from the Guarani language where Che means I.
Gabriel   Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:28 am GMT
<<it's more likely that had to do with the indigenous population of those lands>>

I always wince it when people throw in an outrageous guess without a shred of evidence. What "indigenous population" are you referring to, exactly? The Tehuelches, the Guaraníes, the Comechingones, the Charrúas, the Ataquameños? Which of the many languages spoken by these people could account for the supposed phonological influence on Spanish, and how did this influence spread?
Humbug!
Gabriel   Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:30 am GMT
Not *wince it, but just wince.
Guest   Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:43 pm GMT
"Comechingones"... nice name .
K. T.   Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:03 am GMT
I heard a Mexican pronounce "s" like "sh" tonight. I was surprised, but not SO surprised after this discussion.
Guest   Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:56 am GMT
In theory Spanish lacks the "sh" sound, but some dialects may have it like Argentinian, in which the pronounciation of "sh" is more obvious. Listen to an Argentinian saying "lluvia" and "llegó" for example. What I don't know is if they pronounce this way the "ll" letter and "y" as well. If they do it would not be "yeismo" but a new variant, let's say "sheismo". About Mexican it seems that sometimes they say "shiudad" but they also say "siudad" simply replacing the "ce/i" sound by an "s". It seems that may be different dialects inside Mexico so some use the "sh" sound and others don't. I'm not surprised anyway, but I find rather difficult to believe that Castilian Spanish has this phoneme in its repertory too since I've never hearded it.
Guest   Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:15 am GMT
To summarize, there is the "sh" sound in Spanish but since the initial message is about speaking native Castilian Spanish I would recommend him not to use the "sh" sound at all in order to sound native. Just pronounce the "s" letter like in so, sin or soldier.
Guest   Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:47 am GMT
There is no sh sound in standard Spanish! Just in European Spanish the letter s is pronounced lightly different from the American variant of Spanish. That'all. There's a clear difference between English, French, Portuguese, Italian sh and that s in Spanish......
Guest   Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:51 am GMT
No, Argentinian Spanish exhibits an obvious "sh" sound but it does not correspond with the s letter but with ll and y.
Guest   Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:44 pm GMT
qué puedo hacer para hablar SIN acento

Nacer en un pais de habla castellana :-)
Rodrigo   Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:26 pm GMT
El yeísmo es pronunciar ll como /y/ en cualquiera de sus variedades regionales, así que en Argentina también hay yeísmo. Mi única recomendación es vivir en un país hispano-parlante. De todas formas en español tenemos tantos acentos que con tal de que sea entendido no debería preocuparse demasiado por tener algún acento regional. Si de todas formas quiere tener un acento más específico recomendaría cualquier acento culto ya que éstos son los más claros y curiosamente similares entre sí. El acento mexicano tan estereotipado no es el único que hay en méxico, quedé sorprendido al oír a un mexicano hablar con un acento mut claro y neutro.

Por último la recomendación que le doy a cualquiera que quiera aprender español: NO intente imitar el acento de CNN en español, es demasiado agringado (suena como un estadounidense hablando buen español pero con un acento muy nasal y molesto).

I'll translate the last bit because I believe it's good advice for anybody who'd like to learn Spanish. Do not try to imitate CNN en español accents because it is very "Americanized" very nasal and unpleasant.
Guest   Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:15 pm GMT
What's wrong with agringado acento? It's legitimate accent, spoken by native speakers of Spanish. No better, no worse than any other.