Is English A Sexy Language?

Damian   Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:57 pm GMT
Whatever turns you on..........some people find legalese and scientific formulae absolutely irresistible.
Sunny California   Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:40 am GMT
Someone speaking English with eloquent diction and proper articulation can be drop dead sexy.
Vincent   Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:34 am GMT
Dear Adam,
May I post to you in Volapük in order that you post to me in Zapotec?

Adam no labom flenis mödik = Adam does not have many friends
Sorin   Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:02 pm GMT
I think English is best for business. That's one of the reasons it's so widespread. I'm Romanian and I think French is quite difficult , Italian being most sexy. Dutch is really "clumbsy" and...Swedish is funny (my oppinion)
chip   Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:33 pm GMT
English is sexy indeed, if spoken by an eloquent person, especially if that person has an Irish or Australian accent. Before I met my (American) boyfriend, I never considered American English sexy - that's changed now ^^ . However, I don't think a language itself can be "sexy". I myself prefer soft-spoken people, because aggressive voices get annoying after a while, and if someone annoys me I don't really associate any sex-appeal to them.

To adam: why can't you just stop posting all that ***? It seems to me like the desperate attempt to sound intellectual or anything. Well, attempt failed. Sorry, but in case you did not notice, no one's seriously interested in the crap you try to make us read.
Uriel   Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:20 pm GMT
Well, the associations you have with a language can certainly influence your perceptions of it. If you live in a country where English is primarly used in business environments and not so much in the social realm, you might think of it as dry and boring, whereas if you encounter English (or various accents of English) in a more social setting, you will come to associate it (or them) with the various people you speak with, and it can take on the good or bad qualities of those people.
EROS   Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:07 pm GMT
First of all! What is <SEXY> ? My dictionary says: causing sexual arousal, erotic, seductive, romantic, appealing, attractive.

Ok! According with this definition, then…

Romance languages are the most seductive and erotic languages spoken on earth. That is way even the Germans composed the opera lyrics in Italian. And for this reason Romanic languages are called ROMANCE or ROMANTIC.

Don’t you see they already have a tag on them! ROMANCE languages.

Even if few people consider as sexy, other languages…most people consider Romance languages as the most romantic, seductive and SEXY !

So the Germanic English is not considered by far, a sexy language. However , Estuary English is the most pleasant an subtle variety of spoken English, in contrast with the raw, unpolished, nasal American English.
Sander   Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:29 pm GMT
Romantic and Romance all derive from Rome, or Roman.

Quite frankly, who are ' most people ' ? That's all I see: "Most people think Romance language veeeeeeery sexy! Germanic language diiiiiirty language most people say ".

These things are always personal, and I don't want to add value to a post from a person who claims Romance language are called this way because of being 'romantic'.
Guest   Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:15 pm GMT
>Quite frankly, who are ' most people '<

most people are just most people, people from surveys, don't be jelous Sander! but I understand your jealousy, dutch is one of the most unpleasant language. Augh !
Sander   Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:21 pm GMT
'most people' would be half of the worlds population + 1

I'm sure you have the stats that say that over 3 billion people like Romance languages best.

And cowardly 'guest' , I have never been 'jelous' , just as I've never been 'engry' , 'med' or 'unfuriated'.That's 'unpossible' for 'my'.
Guest   Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:27 pm GMT
typical jealous ! your language is ugly! mate ! face it ! LOL

go and ask your mates in cowland. 70% of them will say Latin languges are sexy !
Tiffany   Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:37 am GMT
Well, I guess we should all note that the "Linguistic Survey" wascreated 20 minutes after this conversation...
Sander   Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:49 pm GMT
=> typical jealous ! your language is ugly! mate ! face it ! LOL

go and ask your mates in cowland. 70% of them will say Latin languges are sexy ! <=

Apart from your terrible grammar,

My language isn't ugly, in my eyes it's the most beautiful of them all.Frankly I don't care what you think of it.Everybody is entitled to his or her opinion, and that yours in totally subjective and that you've probably never heard it ... well that just tough luck for you.

Hint for you: Try do find some actualy data, instead of imagining percentages.
Eine Amerikanerin   Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:57 am GMT
I pretty much agree with the breakdown of the British accents by the Californian. Scottish is absolutely the sexiest accent (and, for the record, ah dinnae find the Weegie accent gratin' a'tall).

I've always thought that German accents (especially Bavarian-Austrian) in general were rather sexy. The Czech-German accent, though... Nicht so gut. German's a very unique-sounding language and I think it's gotten quite a bad rap over the years what with lispy-angry Hitler parodies and such.

And to anyone complaining about the dearth of words for "the": die, der, das, den, dem, des, dessen, deren, denen...
Ed   Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:03 pm GMT
> What kind of language needs 3 words for "the" anyway?

Maybe you should try learning Afrikaans Adam? The definite article is always die and the indefinite article is always 'n.
Even better, verbs do not conjugate differently depending on the subject, e.g. Ek is, "I am"; Jy is, "you are"; Hy is, "he is", Ons is, "we are"; etc.

As for whether English is a "sexy" language or not I could not say as it is my mother tongue. However I can say I find it hard to understand why French is said to be a "sexy" language, I do not have anything against French, but it sounds far too nasal to me to be sexy.