Is English A Sexy Language?

Guest   Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:12 pm GMT
Damian rubbing up to Adam?

Ok have I missed something?
Vincent   Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:28 pm GMT
Greg,
I just cannot understand for what reason you always write your posts in french? Is that a kind of easy provokation? Vous rajoutez de l'eau au moulin de gugus comme Adam.
By the way, personally I find the british accent - overall the accent of Ewan Macgregor in Trainspotting - sexier than the american one but I must say... better not generalize, it depends on who speaks. Once I met an american from Milwaukee who had a charmant and very clear way of speaking english.
Damian   Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:43 pm GMT
No Guest...I am not "rubbing up to Adam".....most of what he says in here is a load of bollocks, especially those bizarre stats on Scotland. I've lived here all my life and I have never met anybody who has known anybody who's been murdered, nor do I know of anyone personally who's been murdered, and nor do I see many really fat people. Most of those I do see seem to be tourists anyway. If there was so much murder and rampant violent crime in Scotland our coppers would carry guns on duty wouldn't they? As it happens they don't, just like in the rest of the UK.

I was just being straight (pardon the expression) and telling Adam that, for once, a lot of what he said, about the Welsh Language in this case, was apparently correct.
Guest   Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:29 pm GMT
To me english seems just a practical, technical, cold and soulness language. The fact that it became the international language accentuated this lack of identity and soul. Being a germanic language (even if it sounds a bit softer than other germanic languages) doesn't help it to sound "sexy". At least it is too much widspread and too much simple to be an attractive language.
This language is just a easy tool to communicate basic things to a wide numer of peoples.
Adam   Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:15 pm GMT
"I think it's the same situation in Scots Gaelic"

The definite articles in Scots Gaelic do agree with their gender and, like Welsh, their are no indefinite articles.

i). an, am, and an t- are used with masculine singular nominative nouns:

an cat — 'the cat' (also for nouns which cannot be lenited)
am balach — 'the boy' (nouns which begin with labial consonants)
an t-òran — 'the song' (nouns which begin with vowels)
(ii). a' is used before a lenited consonant; there are two cases:

a' chaileag — 'the girl' (feminine nominative and dative)
leis a' bhalach — 'with the boy' (masculine dative and genitive)
(iii). na and na h- (before a vowel) are used in the feminine genitive singular:

na mara — 'of the sea'
na h-Alba — 'of [the] Scotland'
(iv). na and na h- (before a vowel) are used in the nominative and dative plural of both genders:

na cait — 'the cats'
na h-àireamhan — 'the numbers'
(v). nan or nam (before a labial) are used in the genitive plural:

nan cat — 'of the cats'
nam balach — 'of the boys'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic_language

Welsh also has mutation, but only for FEMININE nouns.

So -

Careg = Stone/A stone.

Y Gareg - The Stone.
Adam   Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:18 pm GMT
"No Guest...I am not "rubbing up to Adam".....most of what he says in here is a load of bollocks, especially those bizarre stats on Scotland. I've lived here all my life and I have never met anybody who has known anybody who's been murdered, nor do I know of anyone personally who's been murdered, and nor do I see many really fat people. Most of those I do see seem to be tourists anyway. If there was so much murder and rampant violent crime in Scotland our coppers would carry guns on duty wouldn't they? As it happens they don't, just like in the rest of the UK. "

Scotland worst in world for violence - UN

"Scots are almost three times as likely to be assaulted as Americans."

The report claims there are 2,000 attacks per week

Scotland has been named the most violent country in the developed world by a United Nations report.

The study found that, excluding murder, Scots were almost three times as likely to be assaulted as Americans.

Victims of crime in 21 countries were interviewed by the UN, but senior Scots police officers criticised the study.

The survey concluded that 2,000 Scots were attacked every week. That figure is 10 times the number recorded in official police figures.

'Upward trend'

The figure for Scotland dwarfs that of other developed nations such as Japan, where people are 30 times less likely to be attacked.

The study, based on telephone interviews conducted between 1991 and 2000, said 3% of people in Scotland had suffered an assault, while the figure for England and Wales was second highest at 2.8%.

Both Australia and New Zealand had the next highest proportion of assaults among their population at 2.4%, exactly double the level reported for the United States.

Jan Van Dijk, head of analysis at the UN Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute, said Scotland had seen "a clear and upward trend" in the number of assaults since 1996 when the proportion was 1.9%.

A Scottish Executive spokesman added: "While violent crime has decreased recently in Scotland, people are still the victims of violence, especially knife crime.

"That's why we will address the culture of violence by doubling the maximum penalty for carrying a knife to four years, by strengthening police powers of arrest for people suspected of carrying a knife, and by raising the age at which a person can buy a non-domestic knife from 16 to 18.

"We are also reforming Scotland's drinking laws to help reduce the connection between alcohol and violent crime."

news.bbc.co.uk
------------------------

Glasgow is the murder capital of Europe.
---------------------------------------------------------------

England/Wales just miss out on having the lowest murder rate in Europe - Germany, the lowest, has 0.68 murders per 100,000. Next come England and Wales with 0.7. Scotland's is a massive 2.33 per 100,000 - only Finland has a higher murder rate than Scotland.

---------------

The Times December 15, 2005

'Booze and blades' push murder rate to new high
By Angus Macleod, Scottish Political Editor

SCOTLAND’S reputation for casual, drink-fuelled violence was once again underlined last night when official figures showed that the homicide rate for 2004-05 was the highest in almost a decade.

There were 137 victims of homicides — including murders and culpable homicides but excluding death by dangerous driving — in Scotland, 29 more than in 2003-04 and the highest annual total since 1995-96.

In almost three-quarters of the cases, the main accused was known to the victim. As in previous years, a knife or other sharp instrument was the commonest weapon used, accounting for 72 victims, again the highest figure for 10 years. In the 127 cases where the physical and mental state of the alleged killer was known, 45 per cent were drunk, 15 per cent were both drunk and on drugs, and 10 per cent were on drugs.

The figures show that Glasgow remains the murder capital of Scotland, with 55 victims per million of population compared with 22 for the whole of Scotland.

Fifty-five per cent of the homicide cases recorded have so far resulted in a conviction for murder (44 cases) or culpable homicide (30 cases). Eighty-nine per cent of the accused were male.

Cathy Jamieson, Scotland’s Justice Minister, reacting to the statistics, promised moves to tackle public acceptance of violence in some communities. Initiatives already in hand, she said, included expanding Strathclyde Police’s violence reduction unit into a national centre for violence prevention. An Executive-led working group will include leading policymakers and experts on tackling violence.

Ms Jamieson also detailed new laws, already in train, such as tougher penalties for carrying knives and licensing curbs on binge drinking. She said that while the culture of violence was not unique to Scotland, it was a harsh and daily reality for too many people in hard-pressed communities north of the border.

Nearly half of the homicides took place at the weekend where the victim and the accused were both male, aged between 16 and 49, and where the main motive was a fight or quarrel. More than 50 per cent of those accused were acquaintances of the victims and nearly 20 per cent were a partner or relative.

Margaret Mitchell, the Scottish Conservatives’ justice spokeswoman, said that the criminal justice system in Scotland was haemorrhaging because of a lack of police on the streets and the operation of automatic early release. “Some of the homicides are committed by those who should still be in prison,” she said. “I am calling on the Executive to ditch rhetoric, to act now and abolish automatic early release.”

Kenny MacAskill, the SNP’s Shadow Justice Minister, said that what was staggering was that Glasgow’s homicide rate was higher than Belfast’s and more than double the Scotland-wide rate. “The underlying causes of crime need targeted, but there must be no mercy shown to those who use guns, knives or other weapons randomly or indiscriminately,” he said.

In September, a controversial report from the World Health Organisation (WHO) claimed that Scotland had the second highest murder rate in Western Europe. According to the study, Scots were more than three times as likely to be killed as people living in England and Wales and 1½ times more likely than people in Northern Ireland. Only Finland had a worse murder rate, the report claimed.

Another study, this time from the United Nations, said that Scotland was the most violent country in the developed world. It stated that more than 2,000 Scots were attacked every week, almost ten times the official figure, and that Scots were three times more likely to be the victims of violent assault than Americans. That report was criticised by police over its methodology.

The WHO study showed that the murder rate north of the border was 2.33 deaths per 100,000 people, compared with 0.7 in England and Wales, 1.02 in Spain and 0.96 in Italy. France and Norway made it into the top three safest places with murder rates of 0.85 and 0.73. Germany had the lowest murder rate on record, of 0.68.

thetimesonline.co.uk
greg   Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:06 pm GMT
Vincent : ich schreibe auf deutsch und französisch pour protester contre la division section monolingue / section multilingue. Avant j'écrivais en anglais.
Guest   Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:16 pm GMT
Will Brennus tolerate Adam's severe obsessional disorder, that is to say to copy and paste random long stuff that praise England or bash <insert any of Adam's pet peeve country>?
Adam   Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:38 pm GMT
"Vincent : ich schreibe auf deutsch und französisch pour protester contre la division section monolingue / section multilingue. Avant j'écrivais en anglais"

This is the ENGLISH section. If you aren't gonna post in English, then you shouldn't be posting here at all.

You post to me in French or whatever language and I can't answer you because I don't know what you're saying. From now on, if I need to post to you, I'll post to you in Latvian.
Uriel   Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:05 pm GMT
<<To me english seems just a practical, technical, cold and soulness language. The fact that it became the international language accentuated this lack of identity and soul.>>

That wouldn't apply to native speakers and their cultures -- we have plenty of individual identity and personality!

<<At least it is too much widspread and too much simple to be an attractive language. >>

You find obscurity and complication sexy?
Guest   Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:41 pm GMT
<<The figures show that Glasgow remains the murder capital of Scotland, with 55 victims per million of population compared with 22 for the whole of Scotland.>>

Just shows how safe Scotland really is -- in 2001, the murder rate for Gary, Indiana was reported on one web site as 794 per million. (US national rate was 56 per million).
Adam   Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:20 pm GMT
"Just shows how safe Scotland really is -- in 2001, the murder rate for Gary, Indiana was reported on one web site as 794 per million. (US national rate was 56 per million). "

We're talking of Europe, not the world. Scotland has the second highest murder rate in Europe after Finland - and even then, that's only because Finland has liberal prison laws, where muderers get sent to gaol only as a last resort, whereas in Scotland the high murder rate is caused by people drinking too much and taking alcohol.
Adam   Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:21 pm GMT
Taking DRUGS, not alcohol.
Guest   Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:04 pm GMT
Adam what does Prison figures and crime figures got to do with languages?
Ixax   Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:51 pm GMT
English? Sexy? Well, if you find business correspondence and scientific papers sexy, you’ll love it!