German or Italian???

Julian   Thursday, September 11, 2003, 23:19 GMT
>>Who were more cruel, German or Japanese? At least German did not rape or burn people alive.

Yeah, they just stuck people in gas ovens, used babies for target practice, and conducted biological experiments on their prisoners...(!!!)

The Germans DID rape people – it is a war tactic used to terrorize the enemy. In turn, East German women were raped by the conquering Red Army several years later. How can anyone compare who was the cruelest – they both committed atrocities. ALL conquering nations commit heinous acts, that is how they expand their borders and subjugate people. How many people did Chairman Mao eliminate during his Cultural Revolution?

Re: France – Remember, France during Louis XIV reign, was the strongest, most influential kingdom in all of Europe. And of course, there was Napoleon who conquered much of Europe and claimed it as his empire. Not to mention all the overseas lands that France conquered and colonized over the years. So I don't think its fair to dismiss France as weak simply because they were trounced by a more powerful army. It's also worth noting that after several internal revolutions, the overthrow of their aristocracy, the collapse of two republics, the Franco-Prussian War, and the previous World War in which over a million French soldiers gave up their lives, the French had had enough with government and politics and weren't as united in their desire to fight another war. This of course left them vulnerable.

Also, French was still the language of politics and diplomacy during WWII, so my guess is that it was the other way around -- that the English officials spoke French while communicating with the French government in exile. Either that or they used interpreters.

Since you mentioned the Chinese people fighting until the end and never surrendering, let me ask you this: Who is more heroic? a) The leader who refuses to surrender to a more powerful enemy even though his country is being completely devastated and his people annihilated; or b) the leader who realizes when he's outgunned and concedes defeat in order to spare his people any more harm and his homeland further damage?
Clark   Friday, September 12, 2003, 00:06 GMT
Yes, I am not French, nor am I English, but I would fight for England in a heart beat because of family. I could not fight for France on a whim, but I will defend her from senseless talk from idiots like Wingyellow. I am connected to France too; so it is more than just, "I am learning the French language, so I really love anything about France." No, my great grandmother's father was French. I have said this countless times before, so I hope no one is tired of it. I just tell you this now to illustrate that I have more of a connection to France than a simple love of the language.

And why bring up past events. I mean if Wingyellow hates the French, he must certainly hate the Germans after murdering 10 million (or was it 12?). Or you must certainlly hate the Japanese for what happened in Manchuria, or the British because of their colonisation of Hong Kong.

It is Ironic Wingyellow, that you call yourself this. In American English, we say, "you are yellow..." and one can add several other adjectives, or just leve it at that. And when we say this, we mean "coward." If you watch the American movie, "the Sandlot," there is one point in the movie where one kid says something like, "you guys are just a bunch of yellow, mama's boys, dress wearing,..." He meant that they were cowards when he said yellow. So, I am going to start calling you "Wingcoward." How do you like that?
Alex   Friday, September 12, 2003, 00:43 GMT
I think this topic has been completely corrupted.
Is this trend in rule with the forum rules?
Clark   Friday, September 12, 2003, 01:38 GMT
Yes, thanks to Wingcoward, this forum has turned to shite. With respects to Tom and the Antimoon team, I will not write in this forum any longer.
wingyellow   Friday, September 12, 2003, 02:35 GMT
Actually, Yellow is my family name and my skin color. And yes, I am a coward. I am scared of blood. But I will shed my blood till the last drop to protect my land.

The government of the People Republic of China is not a killer! Instead, it made nuclear weapons so that no one else can mess with us; it tried its best to feed 13 b people each day. The Chinese Communist is not as bad as you read or as good as they proclaim either.

I don't have any French friends and I don't speak French at all. I have this opinion about French people because I watch too many Hollywood movies.
wingyellow   Friday, September 12, 2003, 02:42 GMT
I hold no ill will against French people. I just wanted to express that they are not as strong as the US now and thus their language should not be as important as it once was.
And if you want to yell at me in French, please at least give a translation either in English or Chinese.
mjd   Friday, September 12, 2003, 03:46 GMT
Kill this thread.

Clark,

No need to get all worked up over the forum. It's just a simple internet message board and we're all just "average joes."
Clark   Friday, September 12, 2003, 06:05 GMT
Yes, I realise this, but I am sick and tired of hearing ba things about the French from almost everyone I know (literally; from everyone I know. It is even worse when they know that I am a French major).
wingyellow   Friday, September 12, 2003, 06:30 GMT
Because French was once the most important language in the world.
A.S.C.M.   Friday, September 12, 2003, 06:39 GMT
Poor Wingyellow. I feel his pain. I had opinions exactly like his when I first came to the US and I was belaboured by my classmates for my view of the French as cowards.

How ironic I am! Though I still despise the French people, I have studied French for five years with great interest and devotion and now, I am enrolled in an AP French class and am a member of the French Honour Society in my high school, even though one of the society's goals is to "promote the achievements of the French".

Yet, I do admire a particular Frenchman and only this particular one- Napoléon Bonaparte. He was no coward but an able administrator and military leader.

Monsieur Clark, il ne faut pas que vous soyez si agacé. Respirez et relaxez!
A.S.C.M.   Friday, September 12, 2003, 06:45 GMT
Let's see...Blaise Pascal is another Frenchman to be admired. Unfortunately, Napoléon III (I believe he's the nephew or great-nephew of Napoléon Bonaparte) was a most despicable character. Hmph! Kidnapped by the Prussians, eh?

On a sidenote, Austria-Hungary was even worse than France. Long live Britain and Prussia. Sorry for not going by the lines of WWI.
wingyellow   Friday, September 12, 2003, 06:51 GMT
ASCM, are you Chinese too?
It is not my problem. The more you learn English, the more you despise French. It is because most English speaking people discriminate against French.
A.S.C.M.   Friday, September 12, 2003, 07:02 GMT
My mother's Chinese- she's from Hong Kong- and my father's half-German/half-Russian. They met whilst studying at the University of Hamburg. After I was born, we emigrated to London, then to Scotland, then to Canada, and now we're in the U.S. Aren't we a nomadic family.

My French teacher says that the French people also hate the English. Don't forget that the French and the English are traditional enemies.
Julian   Friday, September 12, 2003, 07:38 GMT
(I know this has nothing to do with language, but since we're on the subject anyway...)

wingyellow,

I have a hard time understanding how you can bestow so much praise upon Mao and claim that the Chinese Communists were not killers. Sure Mao united China and defended his nation from foreign invasions, but lets not forget that Mao consolidated his power by eliminating and executing his opponents, by suppressing dissenting opinions, and by sending in his army to stamp out protests and rebellions. When members of his very own party suggested making changes to policies that weren't working, he refused to listen and had these people removed. When you live in a (supposedly) democratic society as I do, this kind of behavior from a leader is appalling.

Many believe that his Cultural Revolution reversed any progress that China had made over the centuries and sent his country backward, while his Asian neighbors leapt forward to become the industrial "tigers" that they are now. As soon as Mao left office, Communist Party leaders quickly reversed his policies and sought to dismantle the cult of Mao -- evidence that suggests that Maoist doctrine wasn't exactly popular with the Chinese nor was it good for them.

I'm not saying that Mao was an abject failure for China, but let's be objective in our assessment of his leadership.
wingyellow   Friday, September 12, 2003, 07:38 GMT
Do German and Russian have any biological distinctive differences?
How is your parent's accent?