German or Italian???

Clark   Tuesday, September 16, 2003, 22:36 GMT
Neither do I. I was thinking the same thing, but I was kind of mad that he was saying that the Nazis were not very horrible.
Clark   Tuesday, September 16, 2003, 22:38 GMT
Oh yeah, Tremmert, I am just reading this really great book about South Africa called, "Modern South Africa." It is really great. I have not been able to read it as fast as I would like, but it is addictive and really informative.
Clark   Tuesday, September 16, 2003, 22:50 GMT
All right, another brain storm of ideas that keep coming to me.

Tremmert, I was reading in this book that the Afrikaners during the Apartheid era were concerned about the Afrikaner culture and language fading away, so they tried to impose them on everyone. But it did not work because nobody wants to learn the language of the oppressor, especially in the case of Apartheid. But it was interesting to note that when the British came to South Africa in the early 1800's, they set up schools and tried to educate everyone, and they also tried to spread Christianity to everyone. This in turn, spread the use of the English language. And since the Afrikaners did not want to have much to do with the native population, they did not want to teach them their language and culture.

So x number of years later, the English language became more widespread and the Afrikaans language was just used by the Afrikaners. So if the Afrikaners had come to South Africa in the beginning and taught their language to the native population for a long time, Apartheid could have taken place and the language of South Africa could have been Afrikaans as a language of the majority of South Africans.

Just kind of interesting I thought; if the original Dutch settlers and their descendents would have taught Dutch to everyone, the linguistical history of South Africa might have been very different.
Clark   Wednesday, September 17, 2003, 04:51 GMT
However, a little before and then after the Boer War, a majority of whites were for seperation of the races.
Piet Blekbescher   Wednesday, September 17, 2003, 08:48 GMT
All people are equal. It is the black people who are creating the racism. We get rid of the black people, no more racism. Simple.
Antonio   Wednesday, September 17, 2003, 12:16 GMT
someone shoot him please.
Hugh Kent   Wednesday, September 17, 2003, 14:34 GMT
Ok
Graphically   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 09:11 GMT
/====

/==== >bam<

/==== ------=>

/==== ------=> Piet Blekbescher

/==== =>Pie>ouch!<escher
Graphically   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 09:13 GMT
It edited out the padding spaces?
Piet Blekbescher   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 13:43 GMT
Look I was kidding. I'm not even a real person so don't take anything I say seriously.
Tremmert   Friday, September 19, 2003, 09:10 GMT
Of course you're a real person - it's just your name that's fake ;)
Clark   Friday, September 19, 2003, 16:24 GMT
Aha! "Blekbescher;" I get it now (thanks to my limited knowledge of Afrikaans).
Tremmert   Friday, September 19, 2003, 18:52 GMT
Isn't it the same pronunciation as German? ;)
Clark   Friday, September 19, 2003, 20:52 GMT
Yes, but then in German it would be, "Schwartzverletzer." Well, this would be Pennsylvania German (Ick habb ken idee was es iss auf Deutsch).
wassabi   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 02:24 GMT
learn whatever you want, id say both, they're both just as good. wingyellow, wut is with you and asian languages? just b/c you like it doesn't mean you have to diss everything else.