Accent sample - Ashley

Pentatonic   Friday, November 14, 2003, 01:23 GMT
Should've been, "... still liked to discuss ..."
Rugger   Friday, November 14, 2003, 02:11 GMT
After listening to Ashley's accent sample, I was left with the impression that she is a native english speaker with an American accent. I didn't find here stumblings to be an indication of poor reading skills because it is quite likely that other factors like nervousness (from recording one's voice for the first time) may have caused the stumblings. Many people make mistakes when reading outloud, but it doesn't necessarily mean that their level of english is low.
A.S.C.M.   Friday, November 14, 2003, 02:26 GMT
Hmmm...she should have recorded several times and picked the best recording.
to Ashley   Friday, November 14, 2003, 02:37 GMT
why don't you tell us more about your background, e.g. how old are you? which grade?
Ashley   Friday, November 14, 2003, 02:55 GMT
Well i'm 14 almost 15, and I'm in 9th grade, and I was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and now live in Coon Rapids, Minnesota. I'm in high school. I only speak english, and I am telling the truth, I really do only speak english, I have lived in the USA my whole life
A.S.C.M.   Friday, November 14, 2003, 03:23 GMT
Good, I believe you now. Next time, pick your best recording.
Clark   Friday, November 14, 2003, 03:35 GMT
Ashley, I rather liked you reading. Don't let anybody discourage you. rue, you did stumble in the reading, but oh well; what can you do about it now?

If at first you do not succeed, try, try and try again.
Clark   Friday, November 14, 2003, 03:36 GMT
Um, "I rather liked your reading" and "True, you..." are the better ways :-)
peggy   Friday, November 14, 2003, 10:27 GMT
Hello Ashley
Are you both parents native Americans speakers ? Were they born in the USA ? if not, where were they born ? and if they aren't native, do they speak a standard American English ?
There is nothing wrong with being not American in origin. That's not a problem. My cousins who live in Paris and who are not French in origin are the best in their schools. They have always over 17 out of 20.
For me, your accent sounds like American but maybe your parents are not Americans or you have had an Asian babysitter who influenced your accent.
I think people who expressed themselves here have nothing against the Asian accents or whatesever. My American friend who listened to the sample said that this accent is not entirely American.
Good luck
Ashley   Friday, November 14, 2003, 11:46 GMT
Yes both my parents grew up in Minnesota. Plus, just spoke english too
peggy   Friday, November 14, 2003, 12:51 GMT
Ashley
If you don't have any links to any Asian country at all, it's a little bit odd that the music of your accent sounds somewhat Asian.
pooh   Friday, November 14, 2003, 12:52 GMT
Maybe she was adopted by an American couple.
learner   Friday, November 14, 2003, 12:59 GMT
This thread was posted by Ashley :

Ashley Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 12:06 GMT
>I've never "spoke" chinese once in my life..so i can't have a chinese accent...and or french..i'm an american that has spoke english all my life..so i can't have a chinese accent or french accent..ok? bye <
I have a question for American antimooner :
Is it common for a 14 year Amercian to use past tense with have ?
and do you use once with have spoken ?
Thanks a lot
learner   Friday, November 14, 2003, 13:08 GMT
Ashley sent :
<Ashley Thursday, November 13, 2003, 11:33 GMT
ok first off, try reading and try making sure you speak through the mic ok, i took a test on my reading and it's where it's suppose to be, sorry it's so bad, do you want me to say something without reading, even if my reading is bad, but it's NOT in real life, you still should hear my American Accent, I do live in Minnesota, and I'm not in elementary school, I'm in High School, and my first term I got all A's and B's Thank very much <
My American fellows, don't you think that there are a lot of mistakes in this thread ? ponctuation and others.
Is it the level of English of Amerians children in high schools ? and they still get all A's and B's !
I'm not quite convinced....
Thanks
learner   Friday, November 14, 2003, 13:10 GMT
Sorry ! I meant Amerian children