Accent sample - Ashley

yalda   Friday, November 14, 2003, 13:12 GMT
I am not quite sure that the level of Amerian kids is so low in writing. I don't think one can get all A's for writing like Ashley.
What do American think ?
Merci
queen   Friday, November 14, 2003, 13:22 GMT

"The Little Hangletons all agreed that the old house was 'creepy.' Half a century ago, something strange and horrible had happened there, something that the older inhabitants of the village still like to discuss when topics for gossip were scarce."

Ashley pronounces "inhabitants" like "inhabited" or "inhabitet". It's very unclear to me how she prounouce "Hangletons". In fact, I don't hear the "s" at the end.
Is a common mistake in USA ? NOT sure.....
Many thanks
Jaro   Friday, November 14, 2003, 16:40 GMT
2 queen: She skipped "n" in inhabitants.

This is very suspicious. She claims to be 14 years old american girl, but her reading skills too poor for a native speaker. She makes many grammatical mistakes in her posts, and says she gets all A's or B's.

Why did she send that recording to Tom if she is American? This is something I don't fully comprehend.
Clark   Friday, November 14, 2003, 19:52 GMT
I guess because I am a native English-speaker, I do not find any trace of Asian-type accent(s). And I find it almost perplexing that anyone thinks she has an Asian accent.

I mean, there are lots of Asian people in America whose ancestors have been here for over 100 years, and these people speak English perfectly as do their parents and g-parents. So Ashley could be Asian in origin, but her accent does not show it.
Ryan   Friday, November 14, 2003, 20:29 GMT
Lots of 14 to 15 year olds have problems reading in this country, Jaro. I don't think you can use that to judge whether someone is a native speaker. Speaking is different from reading.

Also, many people do not practice reading aloud often. Reading silently to oneself is much more common.
Ashley   Friday, November 14, 2003, 20:57 GMT
Ryan do you think I'm an American? because I am
german   Friday, November 14, 2003, 21:14 GMT
well she is indeed american.... i know that...
im from chile, goodbye everyone
Ashley   Friday, November 14, 2003, 21:57 GMT
No, I was not adopted, I'm an American, I wouldn't agrue you people like this if I wasnt.
Ashley   Friday, November 14, 2003, 23:22 GMT
argue* sorry
Leaner   Friday, November 14, 2003, 23:35 GMT
Hi Ashley
As I couldn't rely on my own judgment, I asked my boyfriend who is a Bostonian. Here's his opinion. I send you his email :

/ She has a very conventional north american accent. There is no trace of an asian accent in her voice. She doesn't have as cute an accent as my girl..../
Ashley   Friday, November 14, 2003, 23:36 GMT
Learner,
Thanks for the reply
Ashley   Friday, November 14, 2003, 23:37 GMT
Leaner*
Learner   Friday, November 14, 2003, 23:38 GMT
Sorry Ashley !
I wouldn't post the last line....
Excuse my clumsiness.
Ashley   Friday, November 14, 2003, 23:42 GMT
It's ok, I forgive you.
learner   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 00:32 GMT