French

Lavoisel   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 12:49 GMT
Nicolas, I assume that when one speaks in English about one respect of France or two which he dislikes, it is normal he is assumed to be not French. Cependant, ce n'est pas toujours vrai. ;)
I was taking the ban of "parler Breton" as an exemple among many others, of course. This particular one has come in my mind immediately because I saw a picture of a pannel on which this ban was written when I first heard of this shamefull side of France in a History lesson.
Good or bad is not the question, you said, and I have to admit that having a language that unifies our nation is a good thing. But what I don't admit is that French government won't present its apologies to all the minorities it sentenced to amnesy, and won't give their languages a statut even now.

As for the veil, I think you are mixing extremism and clothes up. Are the studious and quiet girls who go everyday to high school a danger for the republic? Hell, no.
Are they likely to get rounded by the extremists only because they have chosen to show their belief? Not at all.
Will banning the veil at school prevent some parents from forcing their daughter to wear the chador out of school? Again no.
A real solution would have been a strict law against parents who force their daughter to wear a veil or any kind of clothes they don't want to wear.
Look at the U.K: chador is allowed provided it matches the colours of the school uniform. In France, nobody is forced to wear a uniform, then why force some people not to wear what they wish?
Lavoisel   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 12:51 GMT
Correction: "accept", not "admit".
nicolas   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 14:09 GMT
at 1st i did not really know if you were french so i thought here is again a guy who will talk about the same bretons (sometimes bretons, somtimes it's about Corsica).

At 2nd, i still believe religion musn't be present at school. It's not a good idea. Ok in England you wear religious signs but if you leave in Glasgow (an example between others), public schools are divided in 2 : protestant or catholic, not other choice. So it means if you are called Callaghan (irish origins) you will have to go to catholic one, if you are called Mac Laughlin you will have to go to the protestant one. If you are not catholic or protestant you do not have the choice, if you are jew or muslim you do not have the choice to. This another kind of GB, so i think it's better to not allow any religion at school. I don't say of course there must not exist schools for people who have a religion (public or private).

England has another view, it stills being a monarchy : "god save the queen", strong symbols are alive : politic and religion.
English integration is different, they still let people to keep their identity so they produce minorities, are minorities integrated? Who knows?
Bognargé   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 02:10 GMT
Compté les errors de grammayre, d'orthograf, et d'usage.

"J'est une arbre! Je faisez naiçansse à un extraterrestre. L'extraterrestre s'accouplit à vec un autra extraterreste et eux produisse une arbre. Et l'arbre ressemblez à je."

Ma proffe de biology disez ça. Elle voulez illustré à nous, sons alèves, des sporophyte et des gamétophyte.
nicolas   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 08:16 GMT
Bognargé you made too many mystakes to be seriously considered.
Hythloday   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 13:11 GMT
I think it is very amusing how the French are now attempting to stop English words entering their language by setting up an Academy (Academie Francaise). Don't they know that it is impossible to change language? English is a much better, more expressive and more powerful language than French and they should just accept it and move with the times.
***   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 13:29 GMT
Il y avait un homme qui écrasait toujours sa tomme sur le forum d'un autre homme qui mangeait toujours des pommes. Cet homme qui mangeait des pommes (étas-uniennes!) avait en sa possession une grosse gomme pour effacer la tomme.
Avant qu'il ne s'en serve, j'espère qu'un certain Gars Exaspéré par le Gaz (d'une certaine entreprise qui le gère) aura le temps de s'amuser de cette histoire, heu ben... de chewing-gum! (oh my, an English word among some Frensh ones!)
Bon aprèm!
to Bognargé   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 13:40 GMT
***   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 14:14 GMT
It is true that the French Academy is trying to prevent English words from "invading" French. But French people don't give a damn to that and use some English words in everyday life, and consider them as French words.
Same for any language in the world.
As well, there are loads and loads of (so less expressive and powerful:-D) French words in English and it doesn't matter to anyone.
Alors si tu voulais nous provoquer, t'as plus qu'à manger ta tomme!
Sylvio   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 15:21 GMT
May be it's true but i personnally think french is one of the most beautifull language with spanish. English is not bad but it's not so interesting. I personnaly prefer french culture than english one. If you go to England, you don't have a many interesting things to do. A part London, because of foreigners. The architecture is not so rich, the diversity is not so rich. About the food it's the same, english are nice people but their culture seems to be less interesting.
Sylvio   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 15:27 GMT
Who tried to provocate you?
Sylvio   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 15:30 GMT
You are the provocator, but the french seem to be nicer because they don't respond to you
Hythloday   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 15:34 GMT
England has some of the most cosmopolitan and multi-culturally diverse cities in the world. Birmingham, for example, is forecast to become the first English city where the ethnic minorities will be in the majority, so I don't know how Sylvio can say that "the diversity is not so rich." Maybe s/he hasn't seen that much of England. The diversity of English culture is also reflected in its architecture and cuisine, and England has some of the finest examples of medieval, classical, Georgian, Gothic and Victorian architecture in the world. The supposed superiority of French cuisine, architecture and culture is a myth. Trust me, I've been to France on many occasions and have always been disappointed. Can you give me some examples of English words now in common use in France? I can think of 'pub', 'weekend' and 'football'. Any others?
Mario   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 16:05 GMT
Can you explain us why so many british have a house in Portugal, Spain, France and why french, spanish etc are not interested to have a house in GB. I think Sylvio is true, i have been in England, of course you can't only think about wine, cuisine etc but France (not the only one) is more interesting than England. I prefer their culture which is more diversified (?), english have only one powerfull neighbour which is the France, not the case for France because they have Spain, Italy, Germany, Swiss. I noticed some english (not all of them) have a complexe with the french, it's like an obsession. When you talk to the french they do not have it, because they feel more interested with their neighbours.
I don't think there will be a lot of people who will agree you.
To Hythloday   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 16:16 GMT
Have you ever been in Bordeaux, Lyon, Toulouse, Nante or Strabourg for example? The architecture is absolutely incredible. Paris is incredible too, of course. But this is a very subjective point of view.
Marseille, with Paris, are the two main cosmopolitan French cities (2/3 of the inhabitants of Marseille are from an other country!).
Moreover, I think you have to know that there are some English words in French (for example football, weekend, interview, parking, etc pub is not a good example because the French say "bar", "pub" means "publicite"), but there is a lot of French words in English too (some say about 20% of English!!!).