Foreigners in England/France

nic   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 11:20 GMT
Zazous were not rebels, only zazous.
Might Mick   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 12:53 GMT
The article describes how it came about during WW2, referring to the youth's passion for American Jazz as a symbol of rebellion against the occupation.
nic   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 14:00 GMT
Can you post the link (if it's on internet of course), thank you.
Damian   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 15:57 GMT
Mick: thanks for the link....I just logged into it. I never heard about all this before so it's very informative about what it was like then. Zazous is now in my vocabulary...never heard of that before either. Merci bien mon ami.
nic   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 11:37 GMT
http://www.montrealswing.com/SSM/historique/zazous.html

a song please! http://www.montrealswing.com/audio/suisswing.ram

Texte de la chanson
Je suis Swing
par Johnny Hess , 1940 :

La musique nègre et le jazz hot
Sont déjà de vieilles machines
Maintenant pour être dans la note
Il faut être swing
Le swing n'est pas une mélodie
Le swing n'est pas une maladie
Mais aussitôt qu'il vous a plu
Il vous prend et n'vous lâch'plus
Oh! je suis swing
Oh! je suis swing
Zazou, zazou, je m'amuse comme un fou

Ils sont zazous
par Johnny Hess et Maurice Martelier, 1942 :

Les ch'veux tout frisottés
Le col haut de dix huit pieds
Ah! ils sont zazous
Le doigt comm'ça en l'air
L'veston qui traîne par terr'
Ah! ils sont zazous
Ils ont des pantalons d'une coupe inouïe
Qui arrive un peu au d'sous des g'noux
Et qu'il pleuve ou qu'il vente ils ont un parapluie
Des gross's lunett's noires et puis surtout
Ils on l'air dégouté
Tout ces petits agités
Ah! ils sont zazous
Paul   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 14:41 GMT
There is very good English movie called Swing Time, that demonstrates how a cultural openess to Swing music, provided a key for a gang of German teenagers to realize the full tyranny of Nazi Germany, and gives them a shield to mentally resist the overwhelming cultural accomodation with the 3d Reich that occured in Germany.

Unfortunately, the title is misleading and was not widely publicized.
Highly recommended.

Regards, Paul V.
P.S. Anyone else seen it?
nic   Friday, June 11, 2004, 07:24 GMT
I don't think i know it, i just know jazz was unallowed in Germany during the 3rd reich
Paul   Friday, June 11, 2004, 14:36 GMT
unallowed is a good word. Disallowed maybe would be inexact.
During the Hitler era, the Stormtroopers would crack down on Swing and other African American Music. (Jazz?)
I don't know is there were official laws against Music.

Regards
zazou   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 12:56 GMT
I can't believe how many mistakes and false things have been said by nic since the beginning of this thread!

It would be too long to correct them but it's really amazing!
Chang   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 03:47 GMT
I have a quick question here........ How would the French like it if they were a minority in France? Would you like a Chinese immigrant then. Because with the native Frenches brith rates and the rate of immigration. It is easy to say that French would become a minority in their own country? Just a quick question. In Fact how would Europe like it if Whites were a minority of Europe and the arabs or some other group was in control.... Just Wondering
Might Mick   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 05:23 GMT
Statistically, it looks like the "Europeans" of France will be in minority in 50 years time due to the migration and high birth rates of the Arab/Muslim population. Islam at the moment appears to be the dominant religion in France as there are relatively few people practicing Catholicism or any other form of Christianity.
zazou   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 05:26 GMT
Chang   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 19:53 GMT
That's sad.. The ones who built fought and died for their country for many many generations become a minority in their own country willingly. Now back to Europe. Do you Think White, Native Europeans, will become a minority sometime in Europe. I read eastern and central europe, Germany, will not, due to their refusal to take non european immigrant, but sooner or later western will be taken over. I also Also Whites will become a minority in America due to immigration. Argentina and Eastern Europe will be the only white place left on Earth if immigration trends continue... What's next Oriental Asia... Just a thought.
Paul   Monday, June 14, 2004, 06:59 GMT
It will be after our time.
Let them who come after us decide who they will be.
I suspect they will not categorize themselves strictly by race.
And I suspect English one form or another will be around for a long time.

Regards, Paul V.
Stéph   Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 07:41 GMT
Monsieur might mick

There is a long time french spanish and italians are mixed with north african people, that's what we call "pied noir". As occitan, it seems you pretend to know many things but you don't know anything. You should stay in your own country and learn a little bet more.