South African English

Sander   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 13:41 GMT
=>braai<=
Whats a braai?Food?
andre in south africa   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 14:40 GMT
Whats a braai?Food?

Yep Sander braai = barbecue but not quite the same as American barbecue
Sander   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 14:41 GMT
like from the dutch verb 'braden'(roast)?
andre in south africa   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 15:20 GMT
>like from the dutch verb 'braden'(roast)? <

Yes. Braai (verb) means to roast. A braai (noun) is actually a whole social event. Steak and/or chops, boerewors (South African sausage), and sosaties (kebabs) are roasted over an open fire. Side dishes include salads, sandwiches (cheese and tomatoes) also roasted on the fire, and/or mieliepap (a kind of porridge made of maize flour, eaten as breakfast with milk and suger, as well as with a braai when it is usually eaten with a sauce which can best be described as a very thin tomato stew). When you have a braai, you ALWAYS invite friends over (they will never forgive you if you don't). You all gather around the fire while the host braais the meat. You usually eat out of paper plates which you balance on your lap, unless you are pretensious and have your guests sit at the dinner table). It is usually done on Saturday evenings or Sunday afternoons. The word braai (or vleisbraai) is also an official SA English word. The meat you braai, is called braaivleis (vleis = meat). In recent years chicken has also become popular as braaivleis. The drink that goes best with a braai, is icy cold beer, with wine also popular.
Sander   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 15:22 GMT
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
andre in south africa   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 15:29 GMT
Dis baie gesellig (gezellig), Sander :)
Sander   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 16:02 GMT
I just ate one of my *postduiven..nice. (breed of doves)
andre in south africa   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 16:04 GMT
>I just ate one of my *postduiven..nice. (breed of doves) <

You eat doves /:0
Sander   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 16:12 GMT
Sure,snap their necks too.(they arereally nice) :/
Tyrone   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 16:13 GMT
I knew I'd adapted to SA when I found myself cooking the boerwors over the braai and yelling for another Castle. ;-)
andre in south africa   Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 16:18 GMT
Heh heh you truely became South African Tyrone :))
Tyrone   Thursday, April 28, 2005, 02:43 GMT
haha, indeed i did. What amazes me is that the concept of braai transcends race and language groups. My first braai was with zulus and international students from Africa.
Sander   Thursday, April 28, 2005, 12:04 GMT
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....braai
andre in south africa   Thursday, April 28, 2005, 17:37 GMT
Perhaps the first great Antimoon Convention should be held in SA. We could finish off with a braai... :)
Jordi   Thursday, April 28, 2005, 17:57 GMT
I'll be there.