why american breakfast?

Sander   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:14 GMT
Yoggurt comes from Turkey,where it means 'thick milk'.
Sander   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:16 GMT
The question was for everyone.
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:16 GMT
Nope we just carry on with our lives....

HOWEVER

When the baby's christianed, we have a huge celebrating - leg of mutton, chicken, yellow rice, potatoes, salads.... and cake
Deborah   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:25 GMT
andre from SA, those recipes sound wonderful.

Yogurt used to be one of the mainstays of my diet, until I realized that I'm somewhat allergic to milk. Back in my day (and probably even now), yogurt was very popular with dancers, since you could get a low-fat version and it was more interesting than just drinking milk. However, since I didn't have a weight problem, I bought whole-milk yogurt. My usual breakfast, for years, was yogurt mixed with fresh fruit, raisins and nuts, with a couple of thick slices of whole-grain toast and some kind of nut butter (hazelnut butter is the best!).

Anyway, when I was in my thirties I decided to try cutting out milk products, discovered that I could actually breathe much better, and that was the end of yoghurt for me. Sigh...
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:30 GMT
Deborah

Yeh, I have the some problem, supposed to cut out things like that, but it's so nice..... not even supposed to eat cheese, but do it frequently... and then suffer the consequences.... ;(
Sander   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:32 GMT
What could possibly be the consequences of eating cheese.
Deborah   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:32 GMT
But before I cut out milk products, I had a Lebanese-American boyfriend who introduced me to the joys of lebaneh (yoghurt cheese). You just put yoghurt into a cheesecloth bag and let it drain for a couple of days. It's thick and creamy, like softened cream cheese, but tangy. For breakfast he'd put lebaneh on a plate, drizzle olive oil over and sprinkle it with some dried herb -- I think it was oregano -- and spread it on warm pita bread. Delicious.

I think North African, Middle Eastern, Persian and Afghani cuisines are excellent. I had a dish in an Afghani restaurant that had the most wonderful combination of flavors: stewed, sweetened pumpkin with a yogurt-garlic-mint sauce.
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:35 GMT
I get sinutitis from it Sander from any milk product
nico   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:35 GMT
Sander,

If you eat too many cheese, it can be bad for your liver.
Sander   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:36 GMT
We eat about 29,4 kg cheese a year per person.(we are the largest)

to compare...Ireland eats only 5,3 kg
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:38 GMT
Oooohhh sounds delicious Deborah... don't do this to me!! :)
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:41 GMT
>We eat about 29,4 kg cheese a year per person.(we are the largest) <

I would've made a good Dutchman.... except I would have been sick all the time...
Deborah   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:42 GMT
andre, recently I've been a bit lax about avoiding dairy products as well. I like flan a bit too much to never eat it again as long as I live. In fact, desserts generally are where I make exceptions, and just accept the fact that I'm going to sneeze for awhile.

Recently I tried goat's milk yogurt since someone said that goat's milk isn't supposed to be allergenic. So I ate a whole carton (small) of it -- it was delicious -- and really regretted it. Since then, I've looked up information about food allergies and discovered that people who are allergic to cow's milk are often allergic to any type of milk.

I love zabaglione/sabayon, and it's normally made with egg yolks, sugar and wine (sometimes liqueur), right? Just to be safe, I usually ask the waiter whether it has any milk products in it, and the answer is always "Of course not!" Well, I ordered it once in an Italian restaurant, didn't bother asking, and it turned out to have cream in it. It shouldn't have been a big deal, except that I had also decided to have a main dish that had some cheese in it, so I was hit doubly hard.
Sander   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:45 GMT
Blocked nose I presume?

=>Oooohhh sounds delicious Deborah... don't do this to me!!<=

Getting hungry Andre?Let me help you!
http://www.hva.nl/pix/drol_enkel.jpg
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 19:46 GMT
the story of my life Deborah.....

I've just given up... I avoid milk products as far as I can, and then just decide what the hell. And eat what I want, and suffer for a few days. And quite frankly, it's worth it! And then avoid it again..... Why God Why me????!!!!!!