why american breakfast?

Deborah   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 11:58 GMT
Frances, do you make a dish that's like the Russian "baklazhanaya ikra" (eggplant caviar)? The cooked eggplant is mixed with cooked onions, som tomato and seasonings and is eaten like a dip or spread on bread.
Frances   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 12:00 GMT
Thanks for ketchup info

Maybe the reddish curry that you had was a musaman curry or even some rendang (Indonesian).

Cevapcici are fantastic, luckily you can get them pretty much in every supermarket, except in my local one in Melbourne believe it or not!
Frances   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 12:03 GMT
Deborah, no we don't have "baklazhanaya ikra" but wouldn't mind trying it.

However what you are saying reminds me of a dish that my mum makes with chicken livers that includes tomatos or its paste and cooked onions (sometimes potatoes also). It is more stewish in composition but could be put onto bread like a dip.

Also, do you like stuffed capsicums? I make them all the time. Filled with rice and mince meat (pork) and finely chopped onion tinged a bit with tomato pasted and then baked.
Damian   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 12:05 GMT
DEBORAH: Yes, we call them courgettes...as you no doubt know they go into the ratatouille along with the aubergines and tomatoes and stuff. And loads of garlic...I love garlic however antisocial. Last year I did a cookery course for men course just for a laugh and I got hooked. It's real fun.

The oats here are simply milled with nothing added...pure wholegrain stuff...you can have them jumbo sized if you like....just cook them with water or milk or half and half until you get it to the consistency you like. Many Scots add salt but our family never do as it's not too good for you. Some people add sugar or even syrup becaue of what they find as blandness of taste but if they do you can bet they're English! LOL

As we say here...it puts hair on your chest...but I speak from a strictly male point of view! :-)

I don't think there's any difference between ketchup and tomato sauce...they seem to mean exactly the same thing but I just looked at a bottle of the stuff and it says "Tomato Ketchup".

I think it's crazy here in the UK how we pronounce "tomato" and "potato" differently...they both have the same word stem "-ato". Americans are much more logical on that one.
Deborah   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 12:12 GMT
Frances, I used to eat stuffed peppers before I stopped eating meat. My mother made them just as you described. I never felt the need to have a non-meat substitute, so I haven't had them since I was 24. Oh, except once in Russia. My hostess's friend had brought over some homemade pelmeni the night before (ravioli-ish things with a spicy meat filling) which I ate, to be polite, and was able to tolerate because they were so spicy I couldn't really taste the meat. (After years of not eating meat, I really lost my taste for it.) The next night, my hostess made stuffed peppers especially for me, since she'd seen that I could eat meat, after all. Unfortunately, her peppers weren't highly spiced, they definitely tasted like meat, and it was not a pleasurable experience.
andre in usa   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 13:49 GMT
<<andre, what is it about PA?>>

Well Deborah, the parts of PA in question here are areas without many people of Italian ancestry. Most are Pennsylvania Dutch (German) or, in the coal regions of NE PA, Eastern European, and don't know how to make Italian food properly. They're used to bland farm food. It's funny the way they pronounce some Italian foods, like pasta and pizza. My grandmother is Pennsylvania Dutch and she says pasta so that the first a is like the a in the word "cat." And I had heard from someone who knows people in NE PA that they say pizza like "pitz-uh" instead of the standard "peetz-uh." Keep in mind I think these are mostly older people who use these pronunciations.

I wonder if people in other areas of the country still think of Italian food as foreign, like maybe in rural areas that never saw much Italian immigration.
Travis   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 14:14 GMT
One note though is that bell peppers are basically the least hot kind of peppers that one will probably ever encounter, one way or another; even though they're peppers per se, they're practically completely non-spicy. Hence while one may say that they're capiscum, just saying that loses the reason for which I and Kirk found the idea of making chile relleno out of them so funny and or disturbing.
Travis   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 14:48 GMT
Note, though, however, as a matter of fact, indeedee didley doo, uh, capsicum is, uh, capsicum. Hence while a horse (radish) is a horse (radish) of course of course... uh, that's funny and/or disturbing!
Travis   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 15:13 GMT
The last post was not by me, for the record.

De laatste post vas nie fan mie to de medskrift.

De látste post vas ni fan mi to de medskrift.
Sander   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 15:19 GMT
=>The last post was not by me, for the record.
De laatste post vas nie fan mie to de medskrift.
De látste post vas ni fan mi to de medskrift.<=

Hehehe,seems IG is like a drug to you isnt it Travis? ;)
Travis   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 15:24 GMT
Well, partially I really like the project, yes, but the reason why I used it here actually was to indicate that it really was me, and not someone else. If you check the PDF file (http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~bemann/intergermania/intergermania.pdf) right at this moment, you'll notice that the word "medskrift" suddenly showed up in there (I needed to say "for the record", and thought of "zur Mitschrift", and I just IG-ized that). Had anyone else made that post that I was referring to in my previous post, that couldn't have happened.
Sander   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 15:28 GMT
Dutch would use 'even voor de duidelijkheid' for 'medskrift'.
Ben   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 15:44 GMT
"Note, though, however, as a matter of fact, indeedee didley doo, uh, capsicum is, uh, capsicum. Hence while a horse (radish) is a horse (radish) of course of course... uh, that's funny and/or disturbing!"

Hey, fake Travis--are you the parasite responsible for sullying my good name on the "American linguistic and cultural division" topic? Because if you are, I cannot begin to tell you how VERY amused I was by your lengthy rant about an ethnic heritage that I have identified with myself on this forum several times. Check and mate, my good man!

</sneer>
George   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 16:14 GMT
My favorite meal for breakfast is chorizo and scrambled eggs topped with shredded cheese, pico de gallo, onions and extra cilantro, served with refried beans and warm flour tortillas. Mmmm.
Sander   Tuesday, May 31, 2005, 16:27 GMT