Are Portuguese and Brazilian the same language?

Colette   Sun May 04, 2008 8:47 pm GMT
Some Brazilians claim that they understand American Spanish better than Portuguese. If this is true, how come it is considered that Portuguese is the same language as Brazlian instead of American Spanish and Brazilian?
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 9:10 pm GMT
Ala Madrid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mallorqui   Sun May 04, 2008 9:13 pm GMT
Ala Madrid!
viva Manacor   Sun May 04, 2008 10:35 pm GMT
Mallorqui del Madrid??

Ha Ha como Rafa Nadal !!
Skippy   Sun May 04, 2008 11:12 pm GMT
I'm not sure about the degree of mutual intelligibility between the two, but naturally Brazilian speakers are going to feel a sense of linguistic camaraderie with Portuguese speakers due to their common linguistic history... It's very possible, however, that, Brazilian speakers understand Latin American Spanish better. My reasoning is that at the time of the colonization of South America, Portuguese and Spanish were more mutually intelligible than they are today, perhaps dialects of the same language even. Because the tendency is for colonies to maintain a more conservative variety of their language, LA Spanish and Brazilian stayed closely related as their "home country" languages evolved at a quicker pace.

Possibly, I don't know.
Moriko   Sun May 04, 2008 11:26 pm GMT
Brazilians understand continental Portuguese better than any language as is the same language.

However they hate the Portuguese for being enslaved by them. (Please note that Brazilians are not genetically from Portuguese descent) - they are a mixture of Blacks and very few Pure white (i am not being racist) the whites are from divers European countries (Italy, Germany, Poland, etc)

So, its a well known fact, that Brazillians dislike the Portuguese.
On many events, tv shows - they even subtitle the Continental Portuguese in Brazillian Portuguese,

I can tell you that, I am not Brazilian or Portuguese, but I speak Brazilian Portuguese and I can Understand Continental Portuguese better than Any version of Spanish.
Milton   Sun May 04, 2008 11:38 pm GMT
''Brazilians understand continental Portuguese better than any language as is the same language. ''

This is not true. According to the Encyclopaedia Britannica, Brazilians find Latin American Spanish easier to understand than Continental Portuguese.

Furthermore, all Portuguese sitcoms and soap operas need to be dubbed into Brazilian Portuguese in order to be shown on Brazilian tv stations.

And according to French linguist, Galves, Brazilian Portuguese & Continental Portuguese have two distinct grammars.

(try googling on this: Galves, Tarallo, Kato, Brazilian Portuguese)

An article on Brazilian language:
http://cienciaecultura.bvs.br/scielo.php?pid=S0009-67252005000200016&script=sci_arttext

Portuguese or Brazilian?
http://www.marcosbagno.com.br/liv_portugues_brasileiro.htm
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 11:41 pm GMT
''On many events, tv shows - they even subtitle the Continental Portuguese in Brazillian Portuguese,''

Because Continental Portuguese is not easy to understand because Portuguese people don't care about diction (they like not pronouncing vowels, so their vocalism is closer to a Slavic language vocalism than to Romanic vocalism)

Spanish speakers are rarely subtitled on Brazilian tv, today they showed Chavez w/o subtitles. But every time there's a Portuguese person on Brazilian tv (which is rare, once in a blue moon) there are subtitles.
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 11:45 pm GMT
The Portuguese created their language, not the Brazilians. If they don't pronounce some vowels, that is the way it's meant to be, not the fake Brazilian pronunciation.
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 11:48 pm GMT
''The Portuguese created their language, not the Brazilians. If they don't pronounce some vowels, that is the way it's meant to be, not the fake Brazilian pronunciation. ''

Well, this is not completely true. The original pronunciation (from 1500) is closer to today's Brazilian pronunciation than to today's Portuguese pronunciation (heavily influenced by Arabs and French).

So, Brazilian Portuguese is more original.

Just like the word FALL is more original than the word AUTUMN.
Got the idea?
Guest   Sun May 04, 2008 11:52 pm GMT
<< Well, this is not completely true. The original pronunciation (from 1500) is closer to today's Brazilian pronunciation than to today's Portuguese pronunciation (heavily influenced by Arabs and French). >>

I thought that it was the Brazilian pronunciation which was influenced by Black slaves and made it diverge from fine Portuguese.
Pedro   Mon May 05, 2008 12:04 am GMT
Brazilian Portuguese was influenced by many illiterate Brazilians (only 70% can read and write) as a result Brazilian Portuguese has a bad grammar.

And please dont tell me the - Third World Country - Brazilian Portuguese is more educated/original etc, than the Portuguese from Europe.

Portuguese with vowels or not - remains the standard Portuguese, and please lets dont trash the European languages that evolved from Latin, and compare them with some Colonial Creole versions, spoken by ex-slaves. (currently Third World Countries)
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 12:16 am GMT
Well said Pedro, I agree 100%.
Guest   Mon May 05, 2008 12:17 am GMT
"Portuguese with vowels or not - remains the standard Portuguese, and please lets dont trash the European languages that evolved from Latin, and compare them with some Colonial Creole versions, spoken by ex-slaves. (currently Third World Countries)"

You are very harsh - but from a historical and economic point of view that is correct:

1.Brazil is a Third World Country
2.Brazilian Portuguese is a Colonial Creole version, spoken by ex-slaves.

Skippy   Mon May 05, 2008 2:08 am GMT
I don't think Brazil is a third world country... I've had friends who have been and they said it was just beautiful and pretty and etc. Of course, they were probably sticking around the touristy areas... But even during the Cold War, the entirety of Latin America was solely 2nd world (except for Cuba, which was considered 3rd world).