Do British people understand American slangs?

sparkling   Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:00 pm GMT
Do British people understand American slangs and idiomatic expressions right away?

For example:
"That's the way the cookie crumbles."
"Can I take the rain check?"
"Let me hold some ends I'll hit you back on the first."

Do you get the meaning?
Genetd   Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:47 pm GMT
What's up shorti, dig it out dudes, most of the British people can hang out with the American slangs because you know it's all learned from the television and the hip hop American movie films. In the UK they are watching the boys in the hood or American Gangster and digging out the hip words that the American characters are talking. If you go to England you'll check it out that all the young people are talking like the same as Americans with all the the hip slangs just as we are on the European Continent. We are also liking to pump out the jams and dance to the negro beats, sometimes even better than the American Blacks. If you go to Paris or Nice or Hamburg all the high school and university students are just the same nigga... yeeeeaa boi so dont think we're not like hip because we are. I hate that all the Americans are so arrogant and are thinking like that Europeans cannot hang out with the cool talking. We are cooler than you boi!!
Guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:56 pm GMT
There is no such thing as "American slangs", as "slang" is always singular. Your question should have been "Do British people understand American slang?" (no s)
Guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:57 pm GMT
I am an American and I think that that slang is ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous that foreigners are into it. I mean, come on. Doesn't it embarrass you to act that way?
Genetd   Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:11 pm GMT
That's "Kool in the Gang" cuz all of my friends are down with the hip talking, boi. It's like the foreigners as you say are more cool than you but the problem with your idea is in our country you are the foreigner. That's typican un-cool American imperialist bs thinking that you have cornered the store on all the coolest talking. Wrong broham it's not true for we are also down with the hip hop for example.
Guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:28 pm GMT
You don't even use it right, moron. You're embarrassing yourself. LOL
Genetd   Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:39 pm GMT
Whatever dude, you have to talk to the hand now. You're so insane in your membrane you can't understand. You're just so down with your war and your fastfoods you can't dig out what we're relating to dude. You should just chill it out and listen to M&M or other American Black artists who are all suffering in their hood to make a sacrifice so you can eat your mcdonalds and listen to your country in western musical cds which are not phat. Hey, I'm just saying it like it is baby!
Steve   Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:45 pm GMT
Nobody talks like that in Britain, sorry mate, you've got the wrong idea about the Brits, we don't fancy Americanisms.

cheers
Travis   Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:53 pm GMT
>>Whatever dude, you have to talk to the hand now. You're so insane in your membrane you can't understand. You're just so down with your war and your fastfoods you can't dig out what we're relating to dude. You should just chill it out and listen to M&M or other American Black artists who are all suffering in their hood to make a sacrifice so you can eat your mcdonalds and listen to your country in western musical cds which are not phat. Hey, I'm just saying it like it is baby!<<

/me shakes his head.
Guest   Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:06 am GMT
@Genetd

You English is horrible and your attempt to use black American slang is pathetic and full of errors. I tried to actually tried "correct" your slang, however you barely managed to get any three words together in sequence without fucking it up. You are obviously not a native speaker, e.g. "We are also liking to pump out the jams and dance to the negro beats..."

Nothing sounds worse than a foreigner trying to "properly" speak English incorrectly.

My advice to you is to first learn how to speak and write English before trying to emulate black urban slang. (no S at the end of slang.) Maybe then some of those "arrogant Americans" might actually begin to take you seriously.
Genetd   Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:23 am GMT
<<Nothing sounds worse than a foreigner trying to "properly" speak English incorrectly.>>

Word. Yo brotha if the shoe fits where it on the other foot dude! Steve is saying the Brits aren't down to the hip American slangs (it's plural dude because I'm talking about many slangs in generallity not just one slang. Duh.) but you know its all right the Europeans are more up to date than the Brits with the bad ass jivings. Fucking eh it's all good cuz you're just a reel know where man living in your know where land with your mickie d's and your Garth Brooks while we're like all Straight up bad ass and shit dancing to the cool beatigns. In Paris we're checking it out the anti war demostrations and reading the poetry of Bob Dylan who is like your forgotten poet. The Americans don't even know who he is! Ha! That's so funny I'm forgetting to laugh dudes. So what up? Don't bring me down negro just go out and pump up some jams.
Guest   Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:25 am GMT
<<Word. Yo brotha if the shoe fits where it on the other foot dude! Steve is saying the Brits aren't down to the hip American slangs (it's plural dude because I'm talking about many slangs in generallity not just one slang. Duh.) but you know its all right the Europeans are more up to date than the Brits with the bad ass jivings. Fucking eh it's all good cuz you're just a reel know where man living in your know where land with your mickie d's and your Garth Brooks while we're like all Straight up bad ass and shit dancing to the cool beatigns. In Paris we're checking it out the anti war demostrations and reading the poetry of Bob Dylan who is like your forgotten poet. The Americans don't even know who he is! Ha! That's so funny I'm forgetting to laugh dudes. So what up? Don't bring me down negro just go out and pump up some jams. >>

Perhaps he's just pulling our leg, with a clever parody of not-quite-fluent foreigners trying to use United Statian slangs?
Genetd   Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:09 am GMT
I was wondering like what is that "statian" like maybe it's "station". But for the records, I'm learning very much from this site and I'm not down with frustrating all the dudes, just to try to express myself you know man? It's cool jack this site is bad ass cuz there's all the dudes writing in English all the time. I only try to help all of them understanding the finer points of the more advanced English. Hey that's cool because we can then learn together to be digging it out at a higher level bro! You know so it's like when Marvin Gay was singing let's get it on boi! Let's get our learn on! English is so rocking sometimes I can't contain all my enthusiasms. Right on you know?
Guest   Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:27 am GMT
By the way, the word 'hip' is not hip at all these days.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:10 am GMT
It's inevitable that aspects of American English will infiltrate British English due to the prevalence of TV, films (sorry - I mean movies) and, of course, pop culture, but if the average American were to visit the UK s/he would find that American slang isn't quite like it is "back home". Hardly anyone here uses the word "dude", just for starters - we have our own versions for that term. Conversely, I doubt very much that any American would use the word "bloke", which is the equivalent of the American "dude".

Terms like "taking a rain check" and "that's the way the cookie crumbles" are understood by most people, but not used very much over here, AFAIK.

An expression which many Brits use, on an extremely regular basis, is one that seems to irritate a lot of Americans who either live here or just visit us regularly. (Just visit the American Expats in the UK sites to discover the many grouses and gripes, as well as pleasures, Americans reveal about living in this sometimes delightfully pleasing, sometimes unfathomably, annoyingly frustrating country of ours!) "At the end of the day" - it so annoys many Americans for some reason, so irritations with each other's modes of expression are a two way street! ;-) It simply means the final outcome of any situation, such as: "Well, we will all have to pay out a bit more money at the end of the day, won't we?" I have yet to hear any American use that term.