Do British people understand American slangs?

Uriel   Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:14 am GMT
<<"At the end of the day" - it so annoys many Americans for some reason, so irritations with each other's modes of expression are a two way street! ;-) It simply means the final outcome of any situation, such as: "Well, we will all have to pay out a bit more money at the end of the day, won't we?" I have yet to hear any American use that term.>>

Well, you should hang out with us more often -- we do use it.

And that peice NOT by John Cleese is just an updated version of an old saw that's been going around for years. I liked the Texas declaration of independence better, myself.
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:46 am GMT
John Cleese for president!!!
Will   Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:50 am GMT
Damian wrote <That's true. Robinson has this idea that she has the God given right to say anything she likes, at anytime she likes and to anyone within range of her acid tongue.

She really is virulently anti-American which makes her the female equivalent of Jeremy Clarkson who also disses just about everything that comes out of the United States of America, from cars to (in his opinion)"deranged" preacher evangelists. But that's Clarkson for you - the female Robinson. His venture out into the American Bible Belt in a beat up old car with a highly controversial slogan painted on both sides of the vehicle is now legendary. Robinson has yet to do anything like that - all her nastiness comes out of her venomous gob.

Now and again American contestants appear on her Weakest Link Show (Americans who now reside in the UK) and she invariably targets them with negative comments about their nationality, which can be quite embarrassing to many of us Brits who hold more moderate views.

I detest the woman.>

Thanks for the heads-up. I had no idea that either of them held such views. I've never bothered watching either of them until now, so I've got a fair bit of catching up to do.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:53 am GMT
***I had no idea that either of them held such views. I've never bothered watching either of them until now, so I've got a fair bit of catching up to do***

Don't bother...neither of them are worth the effort. Find something better to do with your time.
Annonie   Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:53 pm GMT
Does anyone not realize that there is a huge region of the earth called the 'Americas' (North America and South America)
Wintereis   Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:45 pm GMT
Annonie,<<Does anyone not realize that there is a huge region of the earth called the 'Americas' (North America and South America)>>

We have had this discussion a million times. Yes, we all realize that. We call people from North America, North Americans and people from South America, South Americans. We call people from Brazil, Brazilian and people from Colombia, Columbian. And we call people from Canada, Canadian, and we call people from Mexico, Mexican, and we call people from the United States of America, American. This is not going to change no matter how much you kick and scream at it. Do what you will in your language, we shall do what we will in our own. Thanks.
Wintereis   Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm GMT
<<Declaration of Revocation>>

Haven't you British learned after two consecutive ass kicking by this former colonial backwater and after saving your asses from the Keiser and the Fuhrer, that there is no way in hell you will ever be able to take the United States. We know how very desperate you all are to have us back. I think that is evident in the insistence there still is to occasionally call the U.S. “the colonies”. It is understandable given the wealth that the continent provided in gold, agriculture, oil, and other such commodities, as well as the ingenuity the American populace, but really, it is too late. You should have given us representation when we asked for it in the 18th century.
AJC   Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:46 pm GMT
Not heard of "jokes" at all?

And breathe.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:05 pm GMT
***We know how very desperate you all are to have us back***

Thou jesteth, surely! ;-) One rebuff is enough, thanks very much!

Nah, rest assured, there isn't any plan afoot to recapture a load of rebellious American upstarts, and all claims of some kind of British desperation to do just that are just wild rumours, nothing less. Totally without any basis in fact.

Take it easy you guys Stateside, things are vastly different now as far as we Brits are concerend - we are now part of GEM - the Grand European Monolith - so we have little if any use for you now anyway!

You go your way, we'll go ours! Have a nice day! ;-)
Bill in Los Angeles   Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:26 pm GMT
<<We know how very desperate you all are to have us back.>>

Sorry man... I think they pretty much only want me back. Maybe Brad Pitt and Bill Gates too, but mostly just me.
Sebastian Cricketwhites   Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:04 pm GMT
Thats true. Us Brits want Bill from Los Angeles. You can't keep him from us for ever you know. Give him to us OR ELSE you damned rascals you.

Bill Gates -he's some kind of unemployed windows salesman, right?. I don't think we want HIS sort over here, thank you very much.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:36 pm GMT
I thought the European Union was falling apart with the whole multiple nations unwilling to accept that Lisbon Treaty there? I think the only way to start another war in Europe starts with the European Union.
Guest   Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:32 am GMT
«I thought the European Union was falling apart with the whole multiple nations unwilling to accept that Lisbon Treaty there? I think the only way to start another war in Europe starts with the European Union.»

Only Ireland rejected the Lisbon Treaty, by public referendum. The president of Poland talked about not ratifying it (though he had commited himself in the creation of the Treaty, he signed it personnaly in Lisbon) but apparently he had already changed his mind the next day. All the others have already or are in process of ratifying the Treaty. Probably Ireland will get special status inside the UE and the others will proceed at full speed.

The EU (and its ancestors) have actually prevented any sort of conflict between its members since 1945. Why should it change now?
Guest   Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:44 am GMT
So we should have a superstate because it might prevent conflict.... sounds kind of Bush-esque to me.... There comes a point were the ends don't justify the means...
Guest   Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:42 am GMT
We will have an european superstate because the european people decided so, via their democratly elected representatives. All the process of creating the political structures of EU are democratic and based in desire of living in peace, prosperity and safety, having peaceful, respectful and fair relations with the rest of the world. What does Bush have to do with all that?

That superstate only would be Bush-esque if feeded by cowboyesque pseudo-ideology based on ignorance>fear>hatred against the outsider world as a whole.