"England"

Milan   Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:58 pm GMT
"England is not a bad country...It's just a mean, cold, ugly, divided, tired, clapped-out, post-imperial, post-industrial slang-heap covered in polystyrene hamburger cartons."....By Margaret Drabble: A Natural Curiosity(1989)

Well what is your view?
Milan
www.speakeasylkme.blogspot.com
Uriel   Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:30 am GMT
That would be sarcasm -- and a statement designed to provoke a reaction.
Milan   Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:15 am GMT
ok!!!!!!!! anybody els?
Wintereis   Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:25 am GMT
I've never been there, and I don't like to make conclusions without a good deal more experience. But I have heard that the people and the nation itself can be quite lovely.
Guest   Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:31 am GMT
Stop spamming!
Uriel   Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:34 am GMT
I was only there for two weeks once, but it seemed like a nice enough place to me. I know they cringe when we use the word "quaint", but it sort of was -- little farms and thatched cottages and flowers in windowboxes. London was a little more big city, of course, but it had so much ornate old architecture that even though it is a bustling metropolis, it still had a lot of that "old" flavor.
Caspian   Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:24 am GMT
Uriel is right. This is designed to create an argument, and, if it isn't, it will anyway.

This should be about the English language, not the country.
Guest   Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:31 am GMT
What this thread is designed to do is advertise the thread creator's site.
Guest   Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:22 am GMT
England means Angel Land. It should be spelled: Angeland.
TomJimJack   Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:03 pm GMT
If to remember that besides Angles there were also Saxons who lived in Essex, Middlesex etc, England can mean Angel and Sex Land.

And on the whole, any town in Europe has places which can be described as just mean, cold, ugly, divided, tired, clapped-out, post-imperial, post-industrial slang-heap covered in polystyrene hamburger cartons
Adam   Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:46 pm GMT
If Milan is from Italy, I'll ask this:

If England is post imperial then what does that make Italy? Unlike England, Italy hasn't been a major imperial power for 2000 years.
Nat   Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:27 pm GMT
Milan,

I went in London several times and in Dover once. I found the country beautiful. I think that England is like every other country: some places are gorgeous, others are ugly. That depends on a lot of things and point of view.

It's not that cold but I think that, in winter, the setting of the sun is far too early and it's a pity (but nobody can do anything for that ;-) ).

I liked a lot of things when I went in England (the monuments, the nature, the culture, etc) but I also dislike other things: For instance, London is very (too!) noisy. I visited a lot of capitales or big cities and, so far, it is the noisiest.

Like everywhere, there are nasty people and nice persons but I particularly found the English to be arrogant, proud and full of themselves (besides, you can find that arrogance in their newspapers too!). I mean no offense for English people. Do not read my comments in a bad way because I also met many adorable persons there that I won't forget and won't be able to thank them enough for their kindness.

I agree however with the word "divided" but we can qualify a lot of others countries with this term.

"Tired": not at all! On the contrary!

As far as I saw, I really liked England and would like to come back there to visit other areas and cities (especially Oxford) and learn more of their interesting culture!
Milan   Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:43 pm GMT
Well, for starters, Italians are better looking than the English. Better skin, prettier eyes, better at sex too! Italians are fun and good natured and one of the first things you notice about the Italians when you come to Italy is they are more ethical than the English. You can leave your things unattended for long periods of time in public places and they will usually not be stolen. Try that in England! So forget about empires that floourished 2000 years ago (or 200 years for the English) and forget that the Romans gave the English basic civilisation necessities like irrigation, farming, roads, waterways and so on. There's a strong argument to be made that in fact the English would have never built an empire had the Romans not brought civilisation to the island.

Learn more about this in my site!

Milan
www.speakeasylkme.blogspot.com
Guest   Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:02 pm GMT
I love Italy. The women are so easy. Even the married ones. Italian women make the best whores. Hairy, but enthusiastic.
Guest   Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:05 pm GMT
Monica Belluci is hardly a whore. England is teeming with Russian street walkers. English ladies don't even make a nice hooker.