Does Russian sounds like Portuguese?

Outsider   Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:20 am GMT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qz10De3ik8

The announcer's accent sounded like Borat and he came from Portugal.

At 3:17: "Nau I finish dze shutink, I will show you dze results."
At the last part of the video: "Senks for watchink!"

Portuguese, Russian and Polish tend to have varying reflex of the edh sound of English.

Their reflexes are z, d, dz, and v.

They would pronounce "the" as de, ze, dze, or ve.

In actuality, Borat never really represented Kazachs but many ethnic groups from Eastern Europe.

The ethnic groups are:

Russians
Poles
Ukrainians
Lithuanians and Belarusians
Cossacks of those ethnic groups above them
Albanians
Bulgarians
Moldavians

The words Cossack and Kazach have the same origin and there could be a pun used in Russia. Since there is a name of Kazachstan, this name is just a stand-in for Cossackstan.

It's just coincidence that Continental Portuguese sounds like a combined Russian-Polish accent.
Sovietjoker   Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:56 am GMT
One of the forum participants really say that the Portuguese in this previous clip sounds like a stand in for Borat.
Sovietjoker   Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:43 am GMT
Sovietjoker   Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:06 pm GMT
Outsider   Mon May 03, 2010 10:36 am GMT
Listen to the mish-mash Eastern European accent in this video and compare it to Portuguese and Lithuanian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQVJ0KvFsq4
mediador   Wed May 12, 2010 10:31 pm GMT
Bem, com tanta hostilidade perderam-se na procura de conclusões para tão simples objecto de estudo.
Quanto a nós, falantes do português padrão ou standard, o português não se parecerá minimamente com o russo, no entanto, a experiência que tive com erasmus e professores de línguas estrangeiras, foi que o português é fonologicamente parecido com o árabe.

Curioso não?

Resta-me apenas dizer que todos prezamos os vários dialectos existentes em Portugal e que temos muita pena que pessoas da academia que se dizem portuguesas queiram destruir parte da nossa identidade PORTUGUESA de PORTUGAL com o ridículo acordo ortográfico de 1990.

Quanto a mim, este sim, seriam um tópico interessante.
Sovietjoker   Tue May 18, 2010 9:56 am GMT
again   Tue May 18, 2010 11:26 am GMT
<<Does Russian sounds like Portuguese?>>
It is nonsense. Russian has sounds "x" ,"tch" as Spanish,Russian "r" is clear like Spanish.Portuguese hasn't sound "x" and "tch' and Portuguese "r" is unclear (like French or German).Does Russian sounds like Spanish?
Franco   Tue May 18, 2010 11:30 am GMT
Are you sure? I heard the jota sound to a Portuguese. They pronounce R like Spanish J.
again   Tue May 18, 2010 11:34 am GMT
Yes I am.Russian jota sounds like Spanish "y" in "Yolanda",Russian "r" sounds like Spanish "r" in "rojo".
Aszykbajew   Tue May 18, 2010 3:28 pm GMT
to again:

You have confused the values.

The Continental Portuguese sound value of "r-" and "-rr-" in Portuguese sound close to the Spanish sound value of "j".

The sound value of Spanish y is like Italian i, but in most contexts, used like a German, Dutch, and Slavonic Latin alphabet "j".

Russian/Polish "r" is similar to Italian/Spanish "r-", "-rr-" or "-r", heavily trilled, except that it is stronger and more pronounced.
again   Tue May 18, 2010 5:40 pm GMT
<<Russian/Polish "r" is similar to Italian/Spanish "r-", "-rr-" or "-r", heavily trilled, except that it is stronger and more pronounced. >>
Conclusion: Russian sounds more like Spanish/Italian,but not like Portuguese.
American   Tue May 18, 2010 6:50 pm GMT
No! Spanish sounds like death!
LadyLuxembourg   Tue May 18, 2010 11:43 pm GMT
The Continental Portuguese sound value of "r-" and "-rr-" in Portuguese sound close to the Spanish sound value of "j".

/They don't. Spanish j is never uvular thrill. Uvular thrill can be found in r and rr of PuertoRican Spanish.
Aszykbajew   Wed May 19, 2010 2:16 am GMT
@again: Sound distribution is different from how the sound values look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZVblAAb6CU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxiI6bQsuRc

Compare the sound distribution and you will know what they mean with that.

@LadyLuxembourg: The uvular trill of Portuguese is close to, but not exactly the German/Polish "ch", Spanish "j", which is a rasping guttural sound.