Does Russian sounds like Portuguese?

Carioca da Gema   Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:18 am GMT
The fact that people speak Portuguese in Portugal is evident for school children....
//Not in Brazil tho', when people hear a Portuguese person speaking ''Portuguese'' they immediately ask: what is this language?
Ren   Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:46 pm GMT
Really Carioca? I remember when I was a teen and I first heard Euro Portuguese to be puzzled, but I could understand them...most of it anyway..I sure could tell it was a funny spoken Portuguese...
Franco   Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:56 pm GMT
<<The fact that people speak Portuguese in Portugal is evident for school children....

>>

Not in Brazil where there are not schools, just favelas.
una ciudad de mierda, no   Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:37 am GMT
Is it true that the city Brasilia is a complete and utter failure? That all Brazilians should be ashamed of this FRACASO?
Portunhol   Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:51 am GMT
^
é fracasso, com dois s
new question   Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:07 pm GMT
Does russian sounds like tupi-guarani?
another new question   Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:19 pm GMT
"Does russian sounds like tupi-guarani? "

Does portuguese sounds like Koryak?
Outsider   Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:14 am GMT
http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=46907

Figure out which language it really is.
Anglicki   Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:34 pm GMT
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=382047&page=14

In this link, some bloke from Sydney wrote:

"It's happened practically almost everytime I hear Portuguese! I think if people often confuse them, then it says more about Portuguese than it does about the people. (That's not to sound offensive though; I've met people who found it similar to Spanish; and many others who've likened it to a more Slavic language). I remember once on SSC, a forumer said "I just heard Portuguese for the first time and I never realised how Slavic-sounding it was". I even told my Portuguese friend the first time I heard it "Wow, it sounds a bit Russian", and she said "I don't like it when people say that", which seems to me that it seems to happen quite a lot of times.

I think the main culprit as to why it sounds more Slavic to me is the "CH", "SH" sounds along with this one sound I almost always hear that I can't really put to words. It sounds a bit like "lye"? It has that "nye", "prushtyeh" sort of sound.

This only happens when I BEGIN listening to Portuguese. If I continue listening to it, then I'll realise its differences to Russian though, as I have done in the past! Such as the movie City of God, in which after watching it, I realised that it really sounds very dissimilar to a Slavic language. But perhaps it's a distinction between the Brazilian and Portugese dialect? In which case, I guess I'd prefer the Brazilian one! "
Da cor da Lua   Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:09 pm GMT
People in Portugal hate Ukrainians because when Portuguese are abroad people mistake their speech for Ukrainian or Russian.

That's why they ended up hating these nationalities, Ukrainians along with Brazilians and CapeVerdeans are among the most hated nationalities in Portugal.
Perro   Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:01 pm GMT
<<People in Portugal hate Ukrainians because when Portuguese are abroad people mistake their speech for Ukrainian or Russian. >>

Why would they hate them because of that? Wouldn't they feel grateful to be compared to such superior races?
artem   Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:29 pm GMT
i wonder how one can mistake a portuguese for a ukrainian or a russian. they look so differently from us. portuguese look more like people from the caucasus. i'm afraid in the past many of them had too close relationship with africans. undoubtedly, they look darker and swarthier than spaniards or italians. if they really hate us, they should get rid of their inferiority complex. they have what to be proud of.
Robert   Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:32 pm GMT
To me European portuguese sounds Slavic, sounds kind of like Polish to me, but even though Brazilians say the way they speak Portuguese us drastically different, Brazilian Portuguese still sounds rather Slavic as well. Not a pretty language, it’s pretty harsh to my ears and very nasally as well, it does not flow like Italian or even French. Oh and how could anybody mistake a Portuguese person for a Ukrainian? hahaha The Portuguese are probably the darkest people in Europe! And I agree with you tourist, what exactly do the Portuguese have to be proud of? Their failed colonies in Latin America and Africa? A nasally language that most people find annoying? Not much there to be proud of!
Ren   Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:42 pm GMT
And we MUST base YOUR OPINION as a matter wether we are proud or not of something. Get over yourself.
Franco   Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:55 pm GMT
Un chiste: Dios creó a Portugal para que los españoles pudieran sentirse superiores a alguien.