Does Russian sounds like Portuguese?

Mr. D.   Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:32 pm GMT
NONE of you know what you are talking about....

Europe IS a mixed bag, yes... almost entirely of different CAUCASIAN ethnicities!!!

I don't know what 'swarthy' is meant to infer, but you can find all different combinations of WHITE ethnicities within europe. Perhaps swarthy means asian, because of the eastern invasions over the years. In certain countries there is a percentage of their population like this.

now, back to the question...
suggestion   Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:41 pm GMT
Stop this ridiculous discussion.
Yes.   Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:09 pm GMT
Yes,
stop this... and answer the question
answer   Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:11 pm GMT
No.
lolling Joao   Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:16 am GMT
«NONE of you know what you are talking about....

Europe IS a mixed bag, yes... almost entirely of different CAUCASIAN ethnicities!!!

I don't know what 'swarthy' is meant to infer, but you can find all different combinations of WHITE ethnicities within europe. Perhaps swarthy means asian, because of the eastern invasions over the years. In certain countries there is a percentage of their population like this.»

You're right. The British Isles for instance were populated by Celts, some Iberians, Barbarians from pré Arab Morocco, Romans, Anglos, Saxons, Danes, Normands, French Hugenots and Iberian Sephardi Jews. All of these ethnicities made up the traditional stock of the English/Scott/Irish and Welsh population.
If you add XX century and XXI century arrivals from everywhere in the world. it's even more mixed up.

All the other European countries are made up of its own blends as well. If you name an European country, I'll talk about its diverse ethnic origin.
Caitlyn   Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:28 pm GMT
I'd heard Basque and Russian before I heard Portuguese.
The first time I heard someone speak (European) Portuguese I was on a bus. It quite confused me! At first I thought I heard Basque, but then it sounded more like Russian. I ended up asking the person what language they spoke. They told me they were from Lisboa.
I was so stunned! It sounded nothing like (Mexican) Spanish.
Caitlyn   Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:56 am GMT
Maybe part of why Russian sounds slightly like Portuguese is because the x makes a sh sound. I think..
I know a girl who's Portuguese. Her last name is Teixeira. It's pronounced tay-SHARE-a

Is the x in all Portuguese a sh sound ??
Foxcity   Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:14 pm GMT
"Does Russian sounds like Portuguese?"

You have won ! (the competition of stupid questions)
Outsider   Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:22 pm GMT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsC3Tx3WRJ4

This link has a sordid expression in Portuguese.
However, there is a difference between the accents of the Standard Brazilian Speech and Continental Portuguese Speech.
Bjorn Malmerlarsson   Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:32 pm GMT
Why would Portuguese want to be considered alike to Eastern European semi-Mongoloids! Don't let your swarthiness get the better of you. My little swarthy Iberian friends.
Thread author   Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:24 pm GMT
Guys, stop it, really. The answer was given on the first pages....

Actually I ve never thought this thread will turn out to be so popular. Now I wonder, what's the secret of this popularity taking into account that the question is quite stupid (I have to admit it).
Billy   Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:18 pm GMT
Actually, it's not a stupied question at all. To non-Portuguse and non-Russian speaking English ears it does indeed sound similar to Russian. I am talking about the sound of the language, not the meaning of the words. My sister, on her first visit to Portugal asked me what language they spoke there when she returned. I said "Portuguese" and she said, "Is that like some kind of Russian?"

Now, my sister isn't stupid. She is a college lecturer!

Obviously, since I speak a little Portuguese, I know it is not related to Russian at all. Portuguese is such a beautiful rich language and sounds so exotic compared to common or garden Spanish which, to me, sounds like "Yada yada yada yada porque yada yada."
To Billy   Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:10 pm GMT
"It is better to look stupid than to open the mouth and eliminated any doubt"...

You sister is a College Lecturer, she went to Lisboa and didn't know what language is spoken there? She didn't know where si went, what language is spoken in Portugal? That's realy disappointing and it is no wonder that you could see similarities between languages whihc don't have anything in common. Pathetic!
UnmaskedBilly   Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:48 pm GMT
Hello im Billy.
Well, im but im not...
Im portuguese, and found the russian language cool,eastern, different,far from western,wild,wow,so exotic... This cheap name(Billy) is very common,everybody knows.
I need that the people thinks that my language sounds like russian, the way i speak gives me prestige and the people see me with other eyes.Well actualy i am very poor and i havent the chance to show to foreigners how my beautiful slavic language sounds.

im cheeky.
But sometimes im around here,sometimes im english,sometimes american,or french, or else im not portuguese... i cant speak my language sounds like another,this is so... illegitimate.
And im used to hear one video without knowing what language is(dont ask me why).and is always portuguese and i think was russian.

I hope I have not scared you with my unpredictability.
Thk u very much. :)
tourist   Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:50 am GMT
>>Now, my sister isn't stupid. She is a college lecturer!

well, I don't want to offend you or your sister, but in my country it's just impossible for such an educated person to be so narrow minded... It's humiliation of the "college lecturer" profession after all.... The fact that people speak Portuguese in Portugal is evident for school children....