Does Russian sounds like Portuguese?

gost'   Sun May 17, 2009 4:00 pm GMT
I've read this in one of the forums and would like to ask if it's truth. (Russian is my native language).

Thanks.
portu   Sun May 17, 2009 4:11 pm GMT
Oh wow you think so too? I thought that Portuguese sounded very much like Russian the first time I heard it. I expected Portuguese to sound like Spanish, but it doesn't.
bobagens   Sun May 17, 2009 4:15 pm GMT
well, since you are Russian, you must have heard other Slavonic languages as well, right?
so, it does sound like Portuguese, but not any more or any less than other Slavonic languages.
Due to lots of clusters, lots of palatals, it's logic that it sounds similar.
Parisien   Sun May 17, 2009 4:18 pm GMT
Portuguese sounds Portuguese that is it's much nicer than any other slavonic languages.
portu   Sun May 17, 2009 4:21 pm GMT
therefore it sounds much nicer than any other Romance languages (except French which is very nice too)
italian   Sun May 17, 2009 4:32 pm GMT
Romance languages also sound nice. You don't like Italian?
Beatha   Sun May 17, 2009 4:45 pm GMT
I do luve brazilian portuguese

It sounds nice! Italian and French too... European portuguese is interesting
matko   Sun May 17, 2009 6:05 pm GMT
Italian is OK, it sounds nice (sometimes, when I'm in the good mood) heheh
sometimes, i get a headache because of its melody that could be annoying.
As a Croat, I don't find it that interesting like Portuguese or French because Italian has the same sounds as Croatian has (z, gl, gn, dz, sci, ci). Therefore I prefer Portuguese.
Alessandro   Sun May 17, 2009 7:04 pm GMT
In your dreams Italian sounds like Croatian. Fortunately they are very different!
matko   Sun May 17, 2009 7:15 pm GMT
Why are people on this forum illiterate???
If you're having some serious issues with reading, then I'm sorry, but don't claim some stupid things you're not sure of.

I said that Croatian has those same sounds (mentioned above) as Italian. That doesn't mean that they sound the same. Thank God they don't because I would really have a headache all day long hahahah
Vanessa Mãe   Sun May 17, 2009 9:43 pm GMT
Brazilian Portuguese sounds like a hybrid of Italian and French.
Continental Portuguese sounds like a hybrid of Russian and Arabic.

In Brazil, Portuguese music is not popular because people there don't understand well Continental Portuguese, but music in Spanish (called: música latina) and in Italian is extremely popular: Laura Pausini is the most sold international singer in Brazil, Mariah Carey and Madonna are 2nd and 3rd one respectively.
fdsf   Sun May 17, 2009 10:00 pm GMT
That's because Brazilians are not exposed to European PT enough. I'm sure Americans would have a hard time understanding some British person with a strong Welsh or Scottish accent. It's the same thing.And how does Portuguese sound like a hybrid of Russian and Arabic. You guys are ridiculous. It doesn't sound like either.
TT   Sun May 17, 2009 10:57 pm GMT
Well Portuguese doesn't sound like any of the other Romance languages. The first time I heard it, I thought it was Polish or someting. It had that sophisticated soft Slavic sound to it. As for Americans not being able to understand a strong Welsh or Scottish accent while sung, it would have to be a *really* strong one as singing neutralizes a lot of an accent, and if the accent were that strong, the song would probably not be able to become popular in the UK as virtually nobody would be able to understand it.
CID   Sun May 17, 2009 10:59 pm GMT
<<Oh wow you think so too? I thought that Portuguese sounded very much like Russian the first time I heard it. I expected Portuguese to sound like Spanish, but it doesn't. >>

I agree with this. When I first heard Portuguese, I thought it was some Slavic language.
KEUS   Sun May 17, 2009 11:50 pm GMT
Portuguese does sound like Russian because of so many SH sounds.